Most recent stories

Oh, Dada!

15731573 views11 comment00 favs

Daddy? Yes, hun. What do you think about life? Did you ask your mother? I'm asking you. (lowers newspaper) Well, (squinting eyes) life gives you so much pumpkin. ! and (like a whip) and..? (brows almost touching the hairline)…

Canción: Oh...Marcy Marcy Me! / milonger-milonga

11731173 views00 comments00 favs

Aquél que no ve brillar una escalera de Luz surgiendo de la piel de la tormenta, es que se esconde de miedo al pensarse inpermeable a su belleza...Mas luego lavará su rostro reflejandose en los charcos...o hará siembra de sus pasos al caminar por la hierba.De negro se viste…

deflated

13601360 views11 comment11 fav

writing because it's the only drug i havesick on sadnessas the weight of the moment crumbling around me comes down some sweet second inspires…

Dudes Who Want To Be Her Boyfriend

11601160 views00 comments00 favs

She says he is not a real person. He says he doesn't understand. And that she should be with the dudes who want to be her boyfriend.

Sgt. Nelson, KIA

15001500 views1313 comments44 favs

. . . she didn’t bow her head.

Afterwards

13451345 views88 comments22 favs

It takes twelve years for the hot water to run out and your skin has not even begun to prune.

Mare

11751175 views00 comments00 favs

She pulls out of love, while you sit upon the rumble seat, a granted is taken for every crack of the whip. She pulls out of fear. She pulls.

Dreaming in Mink

23832383 views2323 comments1616 favs

Kept in my mother's desk for years, the envelope yellowed. The glossy model went white in the creases.

Snowsuit (from FATHER MUST)

20082008 views99 comments88 favs

“I’ve been standing across the street for fifteen minutes. I was walking by and saw you weren’t moving. So I watched—you didn’t move at all.”

Wild Dreams of Reality, 8

11571157 views11 comment00 favs

Darrell and I pulled into my driveway after being out all night long. A slash of sunlight fell across the purple Mexican sage beside my front walk. Except for the birds in the trees, there seemed to be an odd serenity to the air — until I spotted one

Going Bananas

18601860 views2525 comments1414 favs

I haven’t made the headlines yet. Maybe I never will. In a city like this, it probably takes more than this to get the helicopters in the air.

Arcana Magi - c.10: To the Horizon

13911391 views00 comments00 favs

“Stay there Alysia!” Brie said from behind as she ran toward them. The Sentinel used Alysia’s back as a step and launched herself into the air with Legacy over her head.

Mannequin

10921092 views55 comments33 favs

Having sex with her there made me feel like a child molester, I said. She said it made her excited.

True Romance '66

12751275 views00 comments00 favs

First thing each morning, Miss Murgy, a tall witch of a woman, cornered both of us like she did every day. "Girls…" with that she clinked a tea spoon on a shot glass, "do I have your attention?" "Yes, m'am," Vicky said. 6 a.m., six…

Nine Women

10111011 views22 comments11 fav

"Haven't you ever had some little thing you would rather everyone just left you alone about? I don't like to have my picture taken. Please don't ask me again."

Advice from Topeka

18781878 views2323 comments1616 favs

... I know all about ax murderers because Elmo, my uncle by marriage to my sister who never had any sense was one. He done killed six women in a farm outside of Topeka in the space of they say three minutes, including my sister and her bingo friends . . .

Becoming an Oates Girl

15021502 views66 comments22 favs

She walked, thighs flaming fire-cold, without complaining or grumbling or cursing the goddamn Midwestern winters the way the others did.

Dead End

11111111 views33 comments22 favs

I unwrap my #4, the greasy smell wafting over my nostrils, and I pause, with the understanding that this will be the highlight of my day, and that I should savor the moment, and then I bite in.

Cheque Republic

13761376 views77 comments33 favs

Maybe she thinks in Czech, dreams in German, pretends in English. Babylon is a beautiful place after all.

When a Bowl Hits a Tree

15071507 views1919 comments88 favs

You would think when a bowl hits a tree the sound would be fierce, a loud clatter as stoneware explodes on birch bark dispersing shards in daffodils and grape muscari, but the noise is gentle, a thudding clink like empty bourbon bottles rattling hollow in…

French Fries

15061506 views4343 comments1414 favs

Tuesdays she worked afternoons at the bookstore, and he’d secretly go, buy a large order, sit in a corner with a newspaper. Fries covered in vinegar, veins of ketchup.

March Madness

11571157 views1010 comments33 favs

“I’ll be damned,” he said. “I never knew where that was.”

Salesman

698698 views33 comments00 favs

A salesman, a born salesman like my brother, is always and only involved in the Moment, and it is the sale itself that is at the heart of the moment, and my brother Harris was really at the top of his form as a salesman. It can probably best be said, th

Walking To Gibraltar, Chapter 11: In Which An Accusation Is Debated

859859 views22 comments00 favs

He gave her cancer. He gave her cancer. Not what she said. She said her relationship gave her cancer. Her relationship with him. Gave her cancer.

The Shield

24012401 views1616 comments1515 favs

A man and his wife are walking through a museum when the man sees a shield on the wall. Look at that! he says. Isn’t that remarkable? The two of them walk a little closer. What’s so remarkable about it? says his wife. Well, the workmanship! s

Kilkenny

929929 views44 comments00 favs

Green hands wave in freezing water.

Dormilona

882882 views22 comments00 favs

These fern-like weeds grow along the roads. “Watch this,” you say, bending down over a plant. The touch of your fingertip sets it recoiling, stunned–a fun, jungle trick you picked up somewhere along your way.

My Crush on Daniel Ortega

33993399 views3232 comments2626 favs

Time advances. One space between words, two between sentences. When I'm not working, I rehearse the language of newspapers: teez, pica, reefer, jump, hed, sig.

No Flowers in June

10691069 views99 comments00 favs

Of flowers there Are none In June No sun Upon my cheek The gentle breeze Stirs me not The smiles They cloud my vision Birds they Sing their songs But I hear Them not When tears Rain down My heaven.

Seascape

12841284 views77 comments44 favs

They had been wintering on the Cape under gunmetal skies...