Most discussed stories

Heat

13471347 views88 comments22 favs

It was so hot we walked out on our husbands. There were reasons, we supposed. They left the refrigerator doors open all day, grabbing beers when they passed by, tossing the sticky caps upon counters. They drove their Metropolitans to buy food, leaving th

The Judge's Wife Part 4

980980 views88 comments44 favs

—Well, are you having an affair with Jack Mahler?

Not Even Know It

936936 views88 comments00 favs

I remember the man well, though he didn't notice me.Even though a million tiny things happened to cause his hand to brush me away from his neck, he didn't notice. Much like the way his eyes bounced off women's bodies as he hurried down the sidewalk in his blue wool…

Hospital, or Depression III

709709 views88 comments55 favs

Yes sir, I confess there have been timeswhen I did not care how young the earth isor take pride in how she sprang back to greenregardless of how hard the snow fought.There have been times, yes, when I lacked the willto notice such things and knew that belowthe water's…

Serial

13091309 views88 comments44 favs

He beats the girl, stabs her 22 times, rapes her, then uses his fingertips to push her orbital sockets into the back of her head before killing her. At trial, he laughs about whether or not there…

With Nothing Here But Me I Begin

890890 views88 comments77 favs

to unwind looking for the answer.I confess I wasn't so discreetas life demanded, laughing like anowhere poet. Nothing relieved thegod awful boredom. Many times Iconfess I hadn't really takenthe vitamins, crying like a courtjester thrown into a dungeon onmarket day, and felt…

Antiphony of Sighs

313313 views88 comments22 favs

IGlasgow, its swollen bleeding face, its unrepentant eyesProud inside its operas, vain within its shames.Watch these sanctities unsound shrink into their oneness.Set these centuries alight, peer into the flames.Into their time descending the pedestrians now cease,all is…

Solid

10801080 views88 comments55 favs

Explanation within

The End of the World

15291529 views88 comments1010 favs

I find driftwood, long, smooth logs washed up on the beach, drag them to dunes still wet from the sea...

Help From The Sunrise

11501150 views88 comments55 favs

Ellen arrived on the beach when it was still too dark to see the ground; the fine shells and small, sharp rocks hurt her feet, but she went ahead until her toes felt the edge…

Cantina

12171217 views88 comments55 favs

It's good enough. Spacious. Then the cards but I am not for cards. Sasha directs the people, helping them, at ease and happy even. Strangers that have found a common denominator in games. A brotherhood and sisterhood I can't understand. I watch. I see green…

City of Masks

11931193 views88 comments55 favs

"There is something in the air. It makes people sick, makes them want to die. They cannot inhale too deeply for fear that it will turn them mad."

Philip and Gene

947947 views88 comments33 favs

Our lives are lived backward in memory...

en/core

11561156 views88 comments00 favs

(vogued.)

Four Stories I Cannot Write

12651265 views88 comments55 favs

“Per­haps instead of a book I could write lists of words, in alpha­bet­ical order, an ava­lanche of isol­ated words which expresses the truth I still do not know” — Italo Calvino albu­men before child grit secretlyshame august blood …

Cellini's Salt Cellar

46294629 views88 comments22 favs

An old man writes the story of his life into a book.

Love

11431143 views88 comments55 favs

My grandmother is magnificently breasted in her floor-length nightgown.

Peeling Onions

18611861 views88 comments66 favs

I was in the kitchen peeling onions. They stung my eyes, and perhaps I was crying. I heard my dear husband run into the room and turned with the knife in my hand.

Toothpicks

13281328 views88 comments55 favs

27 words with title.

july 23

12241224 views88 comments55 favs

I get that drunk feeling right before it starts to rain. The sky is dark and heavy and the clouds break open with a flash and suddenly there is water running down all of the windows like one million pairs of eyes crying hard. The street is suddenly …

I Am In Frequent Contact With You-Know-Who

17061706 views88 comments44 favs

"I am in frequent contact with you know who, and am able, most of the time, to surreptitiously send messages all day long every day, whenever I am inspired."

Six Short Poems

13981398 views88 comments33 favs

Can't please everyone / Or sail in all directions / Sail on / Stay the course / Still the ill-pleased storms come / To suck the wind from my sails

Precipice of Questions

969969 views88 comments44 favs

He stood with the bride of quietness / on the precipice of questions

Three Poems in March, after Baca

17031703 views88 comments55 favs

I could love them all, your people, / Learn their differences, speak their tongues, / When there is no one there to hold you / But me, my arms would be wide enough / To hold armies of your need. Do not forget.

Stumbling Grace

823823 views88 comments22 favs

I'm not sure if my heart is breaking Or attacking Like an aged lovesick romantic with a faulty beat, I sense a valve needs replacing But only after the main artery has been sutured and made whole By a seasoned and skilled Midwest surgeon in a…

Harvest

11831183 views88 comments44 favs

When the hay was ripe it stirred and rippled like water.

Dirt

11301130 views88 comments66 favs

Said do you feel it when you touch me?

five shards of the ancient and the antique

831831 views88 comments66 favs

“Outis of Utopia” my found name! / I'll inscribe it soon as the tide goes out.

Responses to a writing prompt on story structure, filled out moments after learning of my girlfriend's affair

18771877 views88 comments22 favs

1. Main character: Promiscuous girlfriend. 2. Main character's goal: Wants to have a lot of sex. 3. Obstacle: Has boyfriend. 4. Character's idea of a solution to the goal: Cheats on boyfriend.

Numismatics

820820 views88 comments55 favs

The next/ may be the lucky one,/ undiscovered all these years.