Recommended stories

Downtown Milwaukee

10211021 views88 comments77 favs

Downtown Milwaukee My feet are exposed, never been out in public even out here— …

Dancing With the Monster

10421042 views1212 comments66 favs

It comes to me at night, the monster. I don't even realize it's in the room until I hear it breathing behind me. It reaches out its hands and places them on my shoulders. Its fingers are furry and soft, but strong. They grasp the muscles on either side of my neck, and I…

lighthouse

12861286 views1313 comments44 favs

the urgent, naked glow of opportunity or the dim fluorescent nuisance of an object out of reach

Snatch 9 (there's been a time lapse)

11861186 views88 comments77 favs

Blocks context...

Ever. Happily. After.

19191919 views99 comments66 favs

This is a fairy tale. There is a princess who is not a princess but we will call her a princess because every fairy tale has a princess. Her name is Tanya. She's the daughter of a mechanic and a housewife. She has two brothers and two sisters. She is the middle…

Tics

725725 views88 comments66 favs

The damp suspended/ in the air/ in a faint fog/ discourages coagulation.

Forever Four-Eyed

13461346 views77 comments66 favs

I'm a librarian. A reader. I identify as a four-eyed person. I've always worn glasses. I got my first pair in the second grade. It was a miracle! The blurry world I'd inhabited all my life suddenly came into focus. I could see the blackboard! I could read street signs! I…

I Can't Complain

11231123 views77 comments77 favs

To tell the truth, I can’t complain. Look, lots of people have it tough. I don’t have it tough...

When You Love Someone

622622 views66 comments66 favs

you set the world in motion. When you lovesomeone you reset everything to glow. When you love someone you forgive the world. Everything is possible. When you love someone it is time to go on home. When you love someone you're reborn as someone else…

Tinges of Envy or How You Learn

14131413 views99 comments55 favs

Acknowledge that your primary creative ambition until this point has been to think of a plausible word for male-lover-friend that is not overly significant or obsolete like husband and boyfriend.

Give Back the Moon

959959 views1010 comments77 favs

to us! Without it we are less than human and cannot guarantee your safe passage through our woods any more. Give us back the moon. It is the primary element in the makeup of our deepest breaths taken to invoke all cycles to continue. It contains…

Snuggle

12541254 views1111 comments55 favs

“I’m tired, Art” The Virgin said. She was already curled up beside their dog, Lance.

Artist Statement

19351935 views22 comments77 favs

which consisted of me being shoved down a flight of stairs. Thanks to a PELL grant in 1996, I was triumphantly run-over by a family Winnebago in the critically acclaimed, Run-Over. This lead to a series of “happenings” I conducted in alternative space

It's All in Your Head

806806 views77 comments66 favs

The terms of a broken heart, I guess I nevergot to read them. But they must besomething awful, something numbing, something no sane personwould ever agree to. You're already on the vergeof becoming nothing I can remember without a photograph beingshoved in my face. Like a…

Reflections on Chrome

18701870 views1212 comments55 favs

Diedre and Pearl look on from their perch at a nearby table as Eleanor dribbles water from a plastic measuring cup into the bowl of crushed chalk and, using a clean fork, mashes it into a thick paste. A few more dribbles bring it to the correct consis

The Laughing Buddha is Stuck Inside a Time Capsule

156156 views1010 comments66 favs

.

Invicta

13821382 views66 comments66 favs

As military tears soaked into hymnbook pages

When the Moon Blooms

12191219 views88 comments66 favs

Your faded presence in sepia dream returns, firelight whispers and vanilla scented ash. We were a beautiful knot: sinew and hemp, burlap and magnolia petal, concrete and vapor. Gray kisses hovered overhead, misty…

Almost Like Real Skin

11941194 views88 comments66 favs

...this dim and empty room, and behind a wall of glass a flag materialized, backlit and fluttering, and I am not saying what country's flag it was, just that it was a flag, that awesome symbol of the nation state and fervid jingoism...

It Isn’t Personal. It’s Business

10501050 views1212 comments66 favs

because you pay/ for it to matter to me.

Hot Flashes

10231023 views88 comments77 favs

On high a centaur is pulling a yellow chicken on a sled.

Bibliophagy

11281128 views99 comments66 favs

he knows that his wife knows. she can smell the adverbs on his tongue in the mornings. but he cannot get through another evening in that house without consonants.

2 and 2

12221222 views1414 comments66 favs

I was a six year old with no bike. Only the males in my familyhad that privilege. So one morning I got up very early, before the older siblings awoke, crept out the back porch door where Iknew there would be two bikes in the yard just waiting for me and my…

Ice Bar

13011301 views1212 comments55 favs

I can’t stop looking at the burly man to my left with the blue lips and three-inch mustache. He orders his fourth whiskey. He laughs at my melancholy like it was a flat thing--a dead animal to strip of its fur. Why be melancholic when you can float on whi

Scooter and Skipper at the Roman Colosseum

15051505 views1313 comments66 favs

We make our way into the Colosseum–excuse me, the Prince Spaghetti Colosseum–and take in the beauty of Italy’s national pastime; sadistic cruelty to wacko religious cults.

Police Mistakenly Release Murderer: An Analysis

12201220 views99 comments66 favs

He has no plan, he needs a plan, he has no plan, he needs a plan -- the two thoughts bounce around inside his skull like racquet balls.

As Many Will Fall

12551255 views88 comments77 favs

tumbling for you from afar as close-up. They will rewrite your dancing form like a proper magical spell on all their maddest days, using the branches of cherished trees dipped into the trapped wells of certain hosts of …

UNFILTERED

12761276 views1515 comments55 favs

I made myself tiny as I could, imagining I was Houdini shackled underwater, holding my nose and practicing my escape...

A Christmas Story

11051105 views77 comments66 favs

I pay for 3 Trump Troll Dolls and a package red licorice twizzlers and head back toward the door. Dancing Gnome Girl is there to greet me. I stick a twizzler in the teeth of the donation pail.

Ackermann

12671267 views66 comments77 favs

When he took Medieval German Lit in graduate school, Ackermann read Der Ackermann aus Böhmen by Johannes von Tepl. His professor was amused both by his last name and that his grandparents were Germans from Bohemia. Of course, only his grandmother was from Bohemia and…