Recommended stories

Shark

976976 views33 comments33 favs

Violet goes with her mother to the home, delivering cookies to old folks. She's getting to hate how she goes along with everything her mother asks. Some of her friends are rebelling already, and Violet feels something under her skin. It's still just a dark shape, lurking…

Mercury

10671067 views55 comments22 favs

At 11 pm, it is 87 degrees and I sit in front of the air conditioner, eating oatmeal. The oats aren't soft enough, but it is sugary and fills me. Outside, the city hovers at the edge of a brown out, people sweating hopelessly inside small boxes. In Utah, it was cold…

Where is Home?

861861 views33 comments33 favs

We are both 53 and this is the first time I’ve gotten past a third date with anyone from Match. Seth is different. I’m not sure why. My therapist said, “Well, maybe you’ll be good for each other. You both have to accept that you are recovering, or in reco

Filth

14961496 views55 comments33 favs

“Get ya hands outta there, ya filthy old cunt!” I look up, his distorted face hurling more abuse.

“Give me fifty words about a Beaver…”

14701470 views44 comments33 favs

…Professor Wumbat begins.

Macarena Lithuania

15651565 views66 comments11 fav

At dinner in Marrakech, Namid danced on the table, waving a white napkin, propelled by jetlag and poor judgment.

Feeling Marlene (from OPEN CITY Magazine Number 16)

17561756 views33 comments33 favs

I got your card in the mail via my ex-wife in Saskatoon. On it you wonder where I am, if I am still writing, and if I have any stories I would send for you to look at because you think I should be published, too.

Good intentions, and all that.

13191319 views44 comments22 favs

There was something in the pressure and the urgency that made her smile, and then laugh. It was like carrying heavy furniture while someone made a joke--the effectiveness of the joke seemed directly proportional to the weight of the furniture. What was it

Beverly Abbey

11561156 views44 comments22 favs

Downton Abbey and The Beverly Hillbillies. They're practically the same show.

Now

827827 views44 comments33 favs

I'm looking for the perfect/passage, a safe, sound/jettison to now.

Queen Jane Redux

11271127 views66 comments22 favs

The laptop has ruined the sanctity of the library. And so I get up and go see Queen Jane.

Waves of Memory

835835 views33 comments22 favs

"Sometimes things just don’t go as planned. It doesn’t mean anyone is to blame - It just is."

Once I get through this

898898 views33 comments33 favs

Once I get through this I'm going to start: daily yoga stretches; walking the dog all the way to the waterfall every morning; tossing out, unread, Saturday's ads so I don't think about going into Walmart to buy Stack-A-Shelves (assembly required). Hey, even…

ANALOG

996996 views66 comments22 favs

We’re going to talk about our future like the Rick Dees Weekly Top 40. Like there are 40 great songs this week about our future.

Skippy Goes Sailing

635635 views33 comments33 favs

I coughed a little. Some bloody fluid sloshed in the rubber tube coming from my chest. Outside my door some doctor was ranting. He was looking for the patient in the room across from mine. “She's in X-ray,” the nurse told him. “It's Friday,” he…

Cookies

945945 views66 comments33 favs

What was it about the aged and cookies? Here was another one that relished them. Sebastian's grandmother was a specialist. People on the outside thought she was a bird enthusiast. Grandma could be seen refilling the bird feeders at all hours. After the morning…

Sex on Other People's Lawns

17861786 views77 comments22 favs

Miss Dolan was different in the way she wore her short, curly hair, and in the way she swung her long, well toned arms as she walked so flawlessly across the classroom.

Love Is All You Get

995995 views55 comments33 favs

"All these people," Rammstein complained, "seems all they wanna do is write about love, and sex along with it, you know? And I think it's because it's all feelgood shit; you know, your sweet baby loves you, and he or she's hot as Angie or Brad, and…

Monogamy

942942 views33 comments33 favs

cummings starts to sniff, his usual routine. He feigns aloofness while raising one wolfy leg to pee on Eliot's sneakers.

Not finding you

11561156 views44 comments22 favs

Had this been a film, I’d have seen you at once. Extreme close-up: my finger on the green button that opens the door to the park. Long shot: my leaving my bike at the entrance. Slow shot: my walking down the narrow stone path.

Ode To My Hangover

11771177 views55 comments11 fav

you utter fucker.

Together in Tuscany

899899 views33 comments33 favs

Here comes the bus. It’s going to Tuscany and is full of pronouns: he, she, me, you, it, them, us, we, and you again.

Secure Children

128128 views44 comments33 favs

Overheard from the back seat of car:

Friends Love

582582 views44 comments22 favs

She darted out of her shadow, deftly she maneuvers through the tables and chairs and their eyes follow her.

Canary House

825825 views44 comments33 favs

The items were not selected. The people were not forced to choose, with tears and a suffocating feeling.

Ready for Me

125125 views55 comments33 favs

‘Your writing is terrible,’ she said triumphantly, and there was silence. I wanted to say, no Tara, that’s too much, he needs this – working terrible jobs for years, forever, always feeling the discrepancy between his middle-class childhood and his hand-

Axes

12131213 views44 comments33 favs

You think about the first time you saw an axe

The River Where His Lover Lay

12581258 views66 comments22 favs

“He put his stuff down—sunglasses, lotion and so forth—and I noticed there’s a little notebook that he didn’t have before.‘What’s that?’” I asked, and he said ‘Nothing.’”

Like 37 Hiroshima Bombs

10161016 views33 comments33 favs

Once in a while I have the time of my life / in this god-forsaken Earth:

(melody) floating inside an f

752752 views33 comments33 favs

Like the miserable sledgehammer I am, with no adjective in place to praise your moon, you are a hole well-worn into my favorite rock. I have only been able to reinvent this wronged language, in which being moved by…