Most recent stories

To Hit a Woman (Lightly)

13251325 views11 comment11 fav

Tension slipped from my grip on the dagger as my legs and faith fell apart.

Haibun: Elegy for Caroline

129129 views22 comments11 fav

George Herbert, poet and Anglican priest, died of tuberulosis in 1633 at age 40. His friends described his last three weeks in sickbed, attended to by them and members of his family. They recorded his words: "I now look back on the pleasures of my life past, and see in…

Wilma

10941094 views1212 comments66 favs

Every morning, Wilma's husband Richard would cross the street and visit with a neighbor, always after the neighbor's husband left for work. Wilma was a loner, never bothered with neighbors. She enjoyed sitting on her patio in her lounge chair,…

So You Want to Write a Screenplay for a Children's Movie

35403540 views88 comments55 favs

For starters, someone must be dead. That’s the golden rule to remember here. And if that someone is mom, you’ve got a hit on your hands.

Untouched By Me, Alas!

890890 views44 comments22 favs

Another run-in with the police happened one night in Elmhurst. I was seeing this girl I'd met in my Shakespeare night class at Elmhurst College. She and I and Andy and a friend of hers, I think, were parked in front of her house, drinking a six pack of beer when her…

"The Misses Moses," from my collection Aliens in the Prime of Their Lives (Norton 2010)

12181218 views66 comments66 favs

The Misses Moses by Brad Watson from Aliens in the Prime of Their Lives The Moses sisters lived together, alone, in the fine old brick house near downtown where they…

A smile is worth 1000 teeth

13721372 views1313 comments44 favs

I was desperate for a social life but I couldn’t go out because I was too embarrassed to smile.

Only in America

17321732 views2828 comments1919 favs

Mullah Omar was quoted as saying that “America will fall to the ground.” The extinction of America will come about if God is willing.

1958-1961

11731173 views1414 comments1010 favs

In those years, you and I were told to leap for a world suffused with sound and industry.

Sealing off the Exits

18491849 views11 comment00 favs

Jasmine invited herself over and plopped herself on my futon. "Let's fuck," she said, bluntly. "I want to."

A taste of competition

950950 views11 comment00 favs

We called him Mickey Habanero, because he could fill his mouth with the hottest food imaginable, the kind packed with the sort of heat that would melt the gums from the teeth of a novice, all without taking a drink of milk or anything else that would otherwise soothe the…

Migratory Mistakes

12211221 views00 comments00 favs

Unadorned tragedies pinpoint the worst angles of the road; simple crosses or bouquets line boulders painted with car crash smoke or skid marks that tiptoe to the edge of cliffs and then, apparently, leap.

Wolves and Butterflies

18691869 views3434 comments1818 favs

But I do not dig graves, only cradles...

(There Are Ways) to Come Home

14901490 views1515 comments88 favs

When you return home, one year to the day that you left us, you will wonder if you can do it all over again.

Old Media Fixes: Finding Other Ways to Avoid Reality

124124 views00 comments00 favs

It's been nearly a full week since getting rid of our cable. As my lady put it, "It feels good not to be connected to the social unconscious." Do I feel like less of a programmed drone? Only to a certain extent.

Heaps ain’t Enough

20422042 views3737 comments2020 favs

"And I listened, too, sitting at the table with him with my palms on my chin and my fingers on my face ‘cause I love listening to my man talking about why he loves me."

To Really Hear

11091109 views66 comments22 favs

He's driving in the Sierra Nevada with his wife and their small daughters and the girls are fighting and he can't take much more of it.

Magnetic Soup Wagon

996996 views11 comment11 fav

We may sniff a gush of something in the rush of heat round a petrol bomb. Or reap a gift from the cracked head of a hero.

Hey, Boys, Bandits!

918918 views66 comments11 fav

I remember one time that summer I was with you (1964) going to a bar in maybe it was Melrose Park, or Northlake, or somewhere along Roosevelt Road closer to Chicago, not as far as Cicero though. I went there with a crazy gear-head named Roger Hudson, wh

Brian Wilson Says

12131213 views99 comments33 favs

There is only one other person in the pool, in the adjacent lane. I stop to adjust my goggles and notice his waterproof ear buds.

The People Who Won't Get Back to Me

12681268 views99 comments11 fav

Literary agents, also editors, But most assuredly not my creditors, Someday they won’t mean jack to me— The people who won’t get back to me.

let’s play hooky

11851185 views22 comments00 favs

There is just something about a thin, white cotton v-neck t-shirt, he thought, as he ran his hand over bleary eyes and dehydrated lips. He wanted her, as always. But he needed just a little more rest. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail. It…

Castanets '84

14341434 views22 comments11 fav

At 1 a.m. Route 205 is empty. Del drives. Carla sits in the darkness with the directions to the Nassau County Jail on her lap...

DENSITY

925925 views33 comments00 favs

There were more of us before, laying in a puddle cuddling on the floor with heads tucked into the crooks of arms where light scattered their crowns in the morning and no machine exists for me to use trying to find that morning again. Carl could go off the side of the…

Like Trial and (Also) like Error

16811681 views1717 comments1010 favs

We sat all in a muffledlittle line up, on theconcrete lips of tomorrow'ssleepy chin, like all the world's good little children should, as the paradelimped itself slowly by, slapping itself against the young day'sexcitement like a damaged flattire, trying its…

Charles the Bold Signs His Name

11361136 views44 comments22 favs

Charles the Bold is holding a pen.

The Color of Pebbles

21702170 views2929 comments1111 favs

...her touch held such wisdom that it put babies to sleep...

Lost Kites

496496 views1616 comments77 favs

Unseen, he slides through cracks, unbound, liquid fear of mothers.

The Time of His Death

829829 views44 comments00 favs

…if something happened to you so horrible that you no longer felt like living, would it have been better if you had died at birth? Okay, that's probably too early. No reason to act in haste. Maybe you should die when you're eighteen years old, just before…

Gritty City Creates Knowledge Zone, But Some Feel Left Out

554554 views00 comments00 favs

Worcester, Mass. is a gritty central Massachusetts city known to some as the Industrial Abrasives Capital of the World, and to others for its numerous railroad car diners.