Most read stories

Baby of the Family

13351335 views1313 comments1010 favs

I see my siblings once a year when we all show up, as if required by law, to eat Thanksgiving dinner. It is apparent with every bite how much they hate each other.

Sink, Sunk

13351335 views44 comments22 favs

the moon's got it out for the far-sighted punkish usuper supping on the upswing of a downward slope

Clarinet

13351335 views2727 comments1313 favs

It’s beautiful to look at and to hold/ though true musicians would be appalled/ by the black plastic

The Dooleys

13341334 views22 comments22 favs

Mama told me never to play with the Dooley boys. They play too rough, they’re not to be trusted, and no one has seen Mrs. Dooley since she tried to clean out their tree house. Mama would always say, “You play with the Dooley Boys, you play with Satan.”

Inconstant Nature

13341334 views44 comments22 favs

I think for a second that I should have called my husband out to witness this thing, but I am instantly made aware of why I have not.

Rwanda Suite: The Congo in Me

13341334 views88 comments88 favs

I scratch a red welt onto the inside of my white knee. The knee itches like crazy. Pain too, down to my bones. The Congo calls.

The Committee

13341334 views88 comments66 favs

We are prisoners of anticipation.

RailRoads

13341334 views22 comments00 favs

We all have friends that would drop everything to save us. It’s the times we don’t need help that they’re not nearly as attentive.

just…

13341334 views11 comment00 favs

wash over me i fear not the erosion let the future scientists take their soul samples to figure out what happened how was there warning and when you go away let me believe the residue left behind is a choice a souvenir of the moment i want you full…

the best laugh i've had all day

13341334 views44 comments22 favs

when down the street/ a female cat/ yowls with the force/ of a red light blazing/ in an alley.

February 1975 Lansing, MICHIGAN

13341334 views22 comments11 fav

Ripper the dog died after eating a Quarter which had lodged in Ripper's throat choking her to death. Steve Latino buried her in the backyard the next morning. He felt nothing…

Ashes

13341334 views77 comments66 favs

Now, the Midwest was ashes. The oceans were covered with hydroponics plant growth.

Big C and Lil Puppet

13341334 views44 comments11 fav

At that time I was meeting Jacob at 3:30 each afternoon in Joan of Arc Park so we could walk dogs together. This was our job.

The agreement

13341334 views22 comments11 fav

It felt like he'd just taken his marriage out into the woods, forced it to its knees, and put a bullet through its head. Or they had, together.

What Is Life?

13341334 views00 comments00 favs

He heard her crying out behind the curtain that had been drawn around the bed. Each cry was more strained than the last. She complained about the burning, called the nurses "putane" and threatened to rip out the device they'd inserted into her. He sat t

The Birth of Girma Dali

13331333 views11 comment11 fav

Amid the swerve and pulse of hungry bodies Girma Dali picks his spot, a tissue-wide patch of net where's he going to strike. A green-jerseyed defender closes in on him his brute momentum unleashed like a kamikaze pilot swooping into enemy orbit, his lunging body makes…

The Spoken World

13331333 views1313 comments33 favs

The spoken world is bigger than I had ever imagined it to be, wonderful and relentless and unforgiving, and to be a part of it was my grandest childhood fantasy. I don’t know what the world sees me as now, but inside I will always be a stutterer.

Like Me On Facebook. Or Else.

13331333 views44 comments44 favs

Do you spend most of your time on Facebook, or all of your time on Facebook?

Song of the Needle

13331333 views55 comments33 favs

The Black Thing spread over the room, eating away his mother's face as well as the doctors and nurses who dashed in a frenzy around him until they too were swallowed in the black singing cloud.

The Solution to All My Problems

13331333 views33 comments33 favs

IN BOX 12 OF DD FORM 214, the Department of Defense requires a narrative reason for every military discharge. Mine reads: Continued involvement of a discreditable nature with civilian and military authorities.

SEPARATION ANXIETY

13331333 views22 comments11 fav

Julie and I had been dating for almost a year when she slipped her vagina under my door on her way to work.

A Black Cat

13331333 views66 comments44 favs

And then, and then, and then! After all that, this. After all that bullshit with her Dad, the Associate Principal, the idiotic counselor, and that psychotic police officer, after all that, this: a dead black cat. Blocking her path! Right in the middle of the street! …

Close to Ireland (for the Paddy Group Challenge)

13331333 views88 comments22 favs

The closest I've been to Ireland is Conwy castle on the coast of Wales. It was summer, mid-way through college. I was naive and dreamy then. I wandered historic and literary monuments throughout England and weighed my future options.

Coming Through the Rye

13331333 views44 comments11 fav

As I stood in my mother’s closet with my niece Chloe, and read the letter aloud, I was shocked to discover I had shared with my mother details about my love life.

Banging My Head Against the Garage Door of Religion

13321332 views44 comments22 favs

The villagers smash in a garage door with their heads, causing some to bleed from the ears and mouth.

Europa

13321332 views00 comments00 favs

The sink spat its water in a most erratic and vindictive fashion, with varying temperatures of discomfort and a nefariously mechanical nonchalance. Her arms are elbow deep in the misbehaving appliance, it looked to us as if she was drowning a small rodent

Vera's Nemesis

13321332 views11 comment11 fav

The dog was there before Vera was there, so she supposed she couldn't hate it too much. It wasn't like she had to live with the thing, either, though she might as well have hosted it in her ear for the eight months it took that particular batch of neighbo

Scoop

13321332 views55 comments11 fav

“What about the other groups coming here?” I ask. “Were they asked what they wanted in these houses?” She turns and looks at me, like I've suddenly come onto her radar.

The Year Michael Got His Own Page in the Yearbook

13321332 views77 comments44 favs

You can use your shoelaces or an Ace bandage. Loop a belt around your neck and toss the loose end over a shower curtain or closet pole. Pull. Try to lift yourself off the ground.

SOME NIGHTS

13321332 views99 comments66 favs

Some nights you really feel it.