Most discussed stories

Can I Have a Title Here?

761761 views44 comments22 favs

At the company luncheon, the dessert course came first. The servers were tense and unresponsive and we knew something was off. After the pudding or mousse came an undressed salad. Several minutes later came dressings — balsamic, ranch — with ladles.…

Glass Handcuffs

17861786 views44 comments22 favs

Maybe it's a suicide clock, counting the drops of blood on the bathroom tile. A cancer clock counting the number of good cells still willing to fight. Maybe it's a justice clock, counting the remaining days of freedom you have left.

Snowdrop White

924924 views44 comments00 favs

We light cigarettes, take turns putting them out on each other's arms, legs, anywhere hard without a mark. It's living, he says, it's better to know you're alive than feel nothing at all. My brother is two years older than you, I was thinking on Tuesday,…

The Truth

999999 views44 comments11 fav

I want you to tell me the truth, she said. The whole fucking truth.

Three Prayers for Rain

12351235 views44 comments33 favs

Still no rain. Eight months, says Hollister. More like nine, says James Earl. We stand in Hollister’s high meadow, what’s left of it.

Bright Red Leaf

829829 views44 comments22 favs

Little scoundrel Name of leaf, No one knows He's a thief. The shadows stretch, The birds fly south, And summer's a word Of ash in the mouth When all of a sudden The colors are gone But for a red…

The beautiful young girls from high school

14781478 views44 comments22 favs

Size Times New Roman

11031103 views44 comments00 favs

“I’m making a dress,” she said, feeding the pages through the sewing machine. He didn’t know how to answer. “Are those my books?”

As We Progress

10831083 views44 comments33 favs

We all need a place to stay.

Lovers on the Lawn

10381038 views44 comments22 favs

One day, every girl I’ve ever slept with showed up on my lawn.

Blink

11291129 views44 comments22 favs

He stands straighter and walks toward the phone in the back, near the bathrooms. His wet sock slaps loudly against the tile floor. The buzz of conversation dims to whispers, barely audible above the roar of the espresso machine.

Initial doubts

941941 views44 comments00 favs

"Well, you certainly can't be marrying him then .. "

Grace Gladys Gibbons

13741374 views44 comments33 favs

Grace Gibbons is a way of life.

This is Why Your Choice of Music Matters

971971 views44 comments44 favs

Once there was a real honest to God holy spirit out there that was a gift of kindness for everyone, unfortunately given to all the wrong people, or the wrong people simply stole it. Either way the wrong people are still the same ones among us now who so…

yearning for you

11311131 views44 comments33 favs

beauty and love at first sight and this seemingly endless desire washes and cleans my soul and makes me feel weak

Tinkler Man

773773 views44 comments44 favs

As the light changed and exhaustion set in, Suzy and Molly batted back and forth one more knock knock joke to avoid going home.

Writing in the Dark

13101310 views44 comments22 favs

and to adorn my hair I chose every kind of light

My Life As A Series Of Houses (1950-1968)

12901290 views44 comments22 favs

There were three other guys on the bus. The landlord (or buslord) let us use the kitchen and bathroom in the house he shared with his wife. I rode into San José City College with the other guys, who were also taking classes there. I remember frigid autum

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 41

988988 views44 comments22 favs

Frank was about to take the first bite of a chicken salad sandwich.

We measure all this distance in Longing

460460 views44 comments11 fav

“I’ve decided to make some money by filming some of it, making a film and titling it The Nascar 500. It’s a great money maker and here's the gimmick: instead of the usual porn soundtrack it would be the sounds of stock cars racing around the track.

Too Much Information

961961 views44 comments00 favs

He couldn’t dredge up a single memory about the sex.

That Does Me Good

886886 views44 comments00 favs

Your clothes had been burned and your skin washed. They kept your boots at my firm insistence. I saw them write your name on the card. The card was black, and the ink was black. The writing was shallow and scratchy. The box they filed the card into was black and so…

Stimulating the Dead

762762 views44 comments11 fav

“So–you can get a stimulus check even if you’re dead?” I asked. “hell man–in chicago you can vote if you’re dead. i’ve tried to stay active politically.”

Horny

12821282 views44 comments33 favs

"I accept it," Leo said in a low voice. "I accept it all. I know who I am, I know who you are, I might even know who Martin is, now. We all have to share this. I think I will forgive you, because I can'

Found Out

10521052 views44 comments44 favs

The other day my friend, Donald, said Shirley always tells him she loves him and she probably does in her way, but it didn't comport with what he walked in and found her doing again last night. She was back at it, hunched over her computer, having chat sex with the…

Calenture

10191019 views44 comments11 fav

CALENTURE The horizon is marked with the still sculptures of dead gulls; A young man floats off slowly on the…

Pictures of an Inhibition

862862 views44 comments11 fav

Fun times. Deep breath.

Anonymous Gamblers

932932 views44 comments11 fav

1. They Don't Know When To Fold 'Em Gambling junkies are lit on losing their ass and almost can't wait to unload their money, and then reel on home and bounce off the walls or whatever. For these guys, losing's the jackpot, and deep in the hole for…

Treading Water

15911591 views44 comments33 favs

I was nine when I saw my first dead body.

Field of Rattle

785785 views44 comments11 fav

He puts the briefcase on the sand and removes a pistol.