Recommended stories

Round Dance

750750 views66 comments44 favs

Cold smoke from the crater Breathes on our eyelashes; The abysmal emptiness held Its breath just once.

Weeds

953953 views88 comments44 favs

on cd I make john hiatt does not smash perfectly good guitar

Mama Blues

10341034 views77 comments44 favs

the stars might be the audience or they might not be if the beat sits right next to me and hugs me nasty

Hara-kiri

10131013 views44 comments44 favs

unwrapping the gauze from her wrists....

If I’m honest

16201620 views1313 comments33 favs

We lived in a Holiday Inn trying not to be depressed that life had turned out to be so much like Eastenders, trying not to acknowledge that the thrill we’d got out of each other was the thrill of giving in to the wrong thing. We had more sex than ever b

Calluses

15231523 views66 comments55 favs

My Grandma caressed my sleeping Grandfather’s feet as we sat in his hospital room after hours.

Pieces of Lou, part 1

34603460 views55 comments55 favs

Camper Stacks arrived at the offices of BURN magazine on January 14, 1989 in a state of unaccustomed joy: Lou Reed was going down.

World

260260 views66 comments44 favs

Making me hate language

You Think Too Much

9797 views66 comments44 favs

This was my father's diagnosis of my perpetual misery as an adolescent. “If I thought as much as you do, I'd go crazy.” Probably true as he was an Auschwitz survivor. To him, it was important to substitute…

Stream of Unconsciousness

20632063 views77 comments44 favs

In his dream, he was choking on an ice cube. He didn’t know what would happen first — if it would melt or he would die.

To a Bright Pair of Green Eyes

10071007 views66 comments44 favs

The sad march goes ever on. It stretches endlessly over an eternity of painful hills, as unnatural as lumps under the skin, into the deserted broken down streets, the forgotten unprotected alleyways, always adding more and more lost children to…

Parallel Structures

952952 views55 comments44 favs

He gave her his driving range and she gave it back. She didn’t know what a bogey was. Arms akimbo he smiled and licked the China cat by the window.

Six Theories of Gorilla

13441344 views44 comments33 favs

1. BLAME THE PARENTS This seems to be the most popular position on social platforms. Mom and Dad should have been watching this kid more closely. Period. Because how could any good parent fail to notice their own child climbing over a…

Unravel

869869 views99 comments44 favs

You slit your eyes and flick your cigarette in front of an oncoming car. I see how easily you could be that oncoming car.

Bad Ideas I've Had

923923 views77 comments44 favs

Not all ideas are bad, just mine.

The Planetary Phosphorescent Horses

10271027 views77 comments44 favs

sprang straight up to their full galloping heights roaming over your hills like constantly shifting eyes, your strange approximated illuminating hair like ghosts giving birth to a tender smell of green sea foam. This was all I saw, but it was quite…

Stars and Smiles

980980 views77 comments44 favs

Older than a star I am

i dream

10801080 views66 comments44 favs

i dream a thousand interconnected pictures. i dream the future. i dream we are together. i dream i love you. i dream i am forgiven. i dream you care. i dream nice dreams. i go to the bank. i deposit my check. i pay the rent. i pet the cat. i…

Happy Birthday Mr. Watterson, Wherever You Are!

11071107 views77 comments44 favs

Bill Watterson isn't just the creator of the world's best comic strip. According to the book “Looking for Calvin and Hobbes,” a biography of the elusive and reclusive cartoonist, Watterson is also a world-class introvert. Watterson refuses to make…

140 Words on Solitude and Being Alone

917917 views99 comments44 favs

As a child I drowned myself in the pages of books, and as a writer I prefer to be left alone with my imagination.

Opening Line

11701170 views44 comments33 favs

I cannot read one more award winning novel by a female Asian author about the atrocities committed against their childhood, she thought. Then she sat down with her trusty yellow pad and Papermate fineline to write the next lyrical story of a female Asian writer and the…

Erased

12941294 views66 comments33 favs

You took up residence on the dark side of things, a bolthole in a wind-flayed right angle of a tower block where pigeons and suicides tumbled blackly on the air currents. You set about drifting off from who you were on a tide of cheap whisky and bad poetry, graduating…

missing glory

855855 views55 comments44 favs

i found her world cluttered and noisy, a place where logic frowns

Their Next

14531453 views77 comments55 favs

The base of the monastery before him, he let her go into a warm updraft and she cascaded out and up, never falling as she rode the tiger into her next.

Doreen - III

14081408 views1818 comments33 favs

Male genitals were usually portrayed diminutively in classical art. After forty minutes in a drafty room without cloths on, I was beginning to understand why.

Girlfriend

10771077 views33 comments11 fav

As a rule, she calls me whenever she’s waiting for her train or bus. ‘Hiya… How’s life-’ she starts off sweetly. Even though I should know better by now, I can only respond in the same old way. I’ll say: ‘Hi Kate!’. Next, I’ll try to te

The Bee Factory

18531853 views88 comments33 favs

I pick up a pile of postcards, but all the pictures are of bees. There are close-ups of the bees and their perfect anatomy. My favorite picture shows the bees swarming, and I am at the center, their queen.

Stinking oil

932932 views1111 comments44 favs

When were you flash frozen?

Black Children Learn Derivatives

11771177 views55 comments55 favs

The white faces of the train look up in an attempt to satisfy presumption, smoothing out any interest into glassy eyed gestures toward looking but lacking the very important quality of sight.

God's Personal Microphones

997997 views44 comments44 favs

This is my melody. I will not shut it down for you, it will do that all on its own. Everyone knows this. I don't need you to go on holiday. Can't really get away from yourself. This is my color guard. It goes with the everything I am. I'm not sorry I grew…