Alphabetical stories

Probably for the Best

10251025 views44 comments44 favs

“Kids okay?” I didn’t mean anything by it–it would have been innocent small talk any other time–but he took up the suggestion.

Problems Pretty Girls With Pretty Faces Face

56225622 views3333 comments2424 favs

I think about my husband, who is dead, who has left me in this position.

Procedural

11221122 views1212 comments77 favs

Val walks through the world, absorbed in the day to day. A plainspoken narrator drones on in his mind. The nondescript voice marks time to the beat of Val's banal footfall, hums along with the whir of Val's modest, midsize sedan. The narration is loudest in the twilight…

Proceed here to read some of my work

764764 views00 comments00 favs

http://jrleyvas.net

Process and Procedure

12111211 views44 comments44 favs

“I changed religions for that baby.”

Processes

12391239 views1212 comments99 favs

How to Boil Water How to Cook an Egg How to Eat How to Think How to Love How to Die

profanity

13301330 views1717 comments1616 favs

@#$!

Professional Judgment

801801 views33 comments11 fav

Biting my tongue instead of lashing red stripes

Professional Pizza Patter

919919 views44 comments00 favs

We all stared, somewhat shocked and mostly disgusted.

Professor Einstein's Living Proof (an excerpt)

10531053 views22 comments22 favs

Light “I can escape the feeling of complicity in it only by speaking out.” The professor arrives on time, sockless. The former a sign of his polite upbringing. The latter, his lack of pretense and high …

Professor University

907907 views22 comments22 favs

Is this a tenure track position?

Professor _________

382382 views55 comments33 favs

"First we’ll get a good workout at the discotheque where my lady friend works. Don’t worry, she’s already arranged for a friend of hers to attend so you won’t have to suffer the indignity of being a third wheel."

Profiling Robert Allen Zimmerman

10671067 views00 comments00 favs

Since when has it become a crime to walk about a neighbourhood? No one will ever convince me that it 's okay to follow, harass, or approach any unarmed person with a gun and shoot them.

Progresso

11961196 views55 comments55 favs

I don't see why you didn’t get a dozen while you were at it.

Project Undeath (Work in Progress)

888888 views00 comments00 favs

The moon bulges with meticulous sick amber fire while first night’s chest heaves and sputters free infantine monstrosity from plague-wormed hovels, din mold choked grottos, and stale metal-cast labyrinth catacombs.

Prologue (excerpt from a novel)

868868 views55 comments11 fav

The clip-clopping of footsteps now echoes from the opposite end of the alleyway, and as you turn to face the figure who appears behind you, the figure wearing a fierce Noh-drama mask, you determine that this time you will enlist its aid in decoding this r

Prologue - On the Lips of Children

911911 views22 comments11 fav

Their tongues were dry, her milk was gone, and the last bit of water in the plastic jug had evaporated.

Prologue: April 16, 1970

11991199 views11 comment11 fav

The muster zone was south of U.S. 119, off the Halleck Road. The search began on a large parcel, some 75 acres of farmland, property of one Mr. Shakelford. Shakelford had allowed the earth to go wild; brush, thistle and small…

Prom Date

13181318 views22 comments11 fav

The dump smelled of the chaos of creation, of rusting metal and burned glass, chemicals and rancid rainwater, wet cardboard and rotting wood, paint slaking off clapboards and drums.

Promenade

899899 views00 comments00 favs

At the week's end, memories may come to you Of weekends same as those just gone before, That fade away from seeing as a tide's grey flue, That vanishes once travelled to a shifting shore: Still, hope you'll know a girl for an hour anew, One who fades…

Prometheus

911911 views22 comments11 fav

Allow me one moment of stasis from pain, If I must really become that one, Who brought by giant hand man's gain, And suffered through theft of the sun. No dagger pricks the injured side, Or vulture picks the source of bile: Still must wan hordes…

Promises

856856 views66 comments66 favs

Tell me how beautiful I am and I'll dance for you Tell me how much you love my smile and I'll kiss you softly Paint a picture of me and I will lie still Let me see your smile and watch me exhale Rock me back and forth and my eyes close I see rocky shores and…

Promises

11431143 views00 comments00 favs

THE LAST THING I WANTED, expected, or needed was to be standing in the doorway of Carly Ray's room, watching her clutch a picture of her father, my old friend Beryl, up to her face. She is so tiny, but at the same time there is something very adult about the way she looks.…

PROMISES

927927 views00 comments00 favs

There was a bird on the windowsill, a sparrow, its silhouette backlit by a view of Uptown. She remembered many sparrows during her forced trips to Mercy Hospital...That was all over now...

Prompts

14441444 views1616 comments1313 favs

Write a poem in which your father is a dog and you are his leash.

Proper

553553 views44 comments00 favs

I saw two men trying to help a pigeon with a run-over wing in London,

Proper Grammar

13671367 views1212 comments77 favs

Another thing about Dysthymia is how I get locked into a thought, a needle in a record of a song I can’t get out of my head, a song that drives me crazy until I hear it again, until I play it just the amount of times to where my brain is satisfied.

prophecy of the playground

548548 views55 comments44 favs

they deafen you with cute / knive you with sugared songs / with machines turn love to silicon shit / hurl you at the god Fun / debrain you in their schools.

Prophet with a Portable Outhouse

348348 views1010 comments66 favs

Prophet with a portable outhouse sees into the excrement the dogma of the pussies and the wussies and the wieners and the healers. Prophet with a portable outhouse looks out beyond the living rooms of the wretched and the forsaken hairy chests and the shaved …

Prophetstown

10871087 views22 comments11 fav

The elders of the town will tell you that as soon the prophet mill arrived everything went to Hell. Before the process was streamlined, prophets used to be grown organically in the community. They popped up only where the ground was tilled and a prayer was planted. They…