Recommended stories

Lovelies on the Last Shore

13421342 views99 comments66 favs

All of those lovelies, pitched on the ground, ignored and ready to rot.

Breakfast for Ten

10841084 views1010 comments55 favs

Chuck woke when he smelled cooking.

Myrtle Beach Daze

21542154 views44 comments33 favs

He started plucking at my back like it was a banjo. Lucky for me, he was no Earl Scruggs. My virtue was safe with my Earl. We would have been there until the Second Coming, my bra still safely fastened, if I'd have stuck around.

Divorcing Delia

11661166 views99 comments66 favs

I held her hand through two divorces, I warned her that gorgeous Geoffrey was homosexual when she was oblivious, and I fed her children when she was off at rehab (four times before it 'took').

Tundra

630630 views77 comments55 favs

All the lights of Rekyjavik...

Honduras

17281728 views55 comments22 favs

In Honduras they say a prayer that sounds like screaming at the top of your lungs...

Orientations within the Zwischenwelt

629629 views1010 comments44 favs

Licking bowl and spoon taste and foretaste follow.

In plague (o) veritas.

576576 views77 comments55 favs

...a falling forward that is sometimes so material that you get a look at your shoes as you fall past them...

Wink

10391039 views66 comments55 favs

It's just another night in the old city, perched in the skeletal radio tower with my collection of telescopes

Nine Elephants and an Ass

11201120 views77 comments55 favs

Nine sated elephants and an ass sit around a decimated Thanksgiving table discussing the state of the union over the hacked to bits carcass of a twenty-three pound turkey. Two years in to The Great Communicator's Lame Duck term and the nine elephants, whose…

Independence Day

10491049 views66 comments66 favs

It’s Independence Day. But I’m not feeling independent.

Die Zwischenwelt: The World as It Is and as It Is Not

705705 views99 comments44 favs

These philosophic notions floated in my head for years and eventually helped inspire my pursuit of basic information in contemporary physics, astrophysics, astronomy, and cosmology when I was not reading or writing fiction or verse.

ExsanguiNations

10421042 views88 comments66 favs

leaches fatten-up

The Right Kind of Magic

894894 views55 comments66 favs

1. During the outpouring of our newly discovered grief oh how we danced, electrical, into oblivion, maybe once, twice. It was toall to be expected, but not everything you feel is always real. After all the dust may settle, but it…

No Wind

353353 views1010 comments55 favs

The candle was near the windowsill.It smelled like the musk my father used to spray before he went awayto work.Oh father, I remember you,your chocolate brown eyes,would watch the sunrisebefore breakfast;serious- so serious and waiting for something that…

Existential Dioramas

10181018 views1010 comments55 favs

and, under foot,// dark caves waiting/ with their unseen pigments/ adorning forgotten walls.

Rags to Riches to Rags: Prologue

15301530 views66 comments66 favs

My grandfather rode with the Czar’s army. He was abducted from a village in Austria, trained to pillage and drink, plunder and rape, and ride the best horses that could be had. They were given the best vodka and the sharpest swords. They were all just boy

we're already at the movies

11431143 views66 comments66 favs

israeli flares light gaza/ casting incandescent nudity/ upon jumbled puzzle piece buildings.

Hunger

17741774 views55 comments66 favs

for E. …

Ghostriders and rainbows

11171117 views44 comments22 favs

Ghostriders in the syand rainbows in my mindor was itrainbow in the skyghostriders in my mind?I can't remember ...And apparently this body is not 200 characters long, so I add some text so this pearl too can be read (ahum) My body is only 170 characters long, snif,…

In the Parking Lot

10101010 views66 comments55 favs

Maybe they considered themselves beyond redemption, or maybe they couldn't sit for that long.

Cantina

12131213 views88 comments55 favs

It's good enough. Spacious. Then the cards but I am not for cards. Sasha directs the people, helping them, at ease and happy even. Strangers that have found a common denominator in games. A brotherhood and sisterhood I can't understand. I watch. I see green…

5000 years

13531353 views1010 comments55 favs

"She had been warned." (this started as a fun alien story and then took a human turn.)

Ditto

12931293 views1111 comments55 favs

He looked straight at her, not to challenge her, but to better gauge what it was she would throw at him. Her eyes always darted to the thing right before her red, swollen fingers snatched at it, like a thing possessed.

Struggle for Life

919919 views88 comments22 favs

7.53Another morning ritual. Trying to fill the loose ends of time in the early morning is a task.7.54I've done about everything, too early to work and too late to go back to sleep. 7.55Trying to avoid the nausea of life at all cost. My mind is a snakepit, filled with…

Our Costume Is a Kiss

26012601 views1010 comments77 favs

I'm waiting in line for the only bathroom in this bar while my mother is dying somewhere. I don't know where. I have to piss really bad. An obese Cinderella is in front of me and a zombie with ample…

Attempting Integration, Duchamp Descends to the Killing Floor

12281228 views1313 comments55 favs

Slice the moment into/ free body diagrams/ of elegant simplicity

Meaningless conversations

14811481 views88 comments44 favs

“I wanted coffee, not art. That’s why I came here, and the coffee here isn’t even that good. We should have gone to the place across town, their lattes are the best.” “How do you determine the best coffee? Do you think they have judges that go from sto

Margaret’s Mermaid

13991399 views55 comments44 favs

When she was eleven, Margaret still believed in mermaids. She would fasten the neon diving rings that her mother gave her to her ankles and swim around in the pool for hours. By the end of the afternoon, with chlorine-swollen skin she would wince as she…

BUTTERFLY, A NOVEL’s monologue:

20732073 views77 comments66 favs

Many of you may think I can't talk but I do, excessively so and all jaws. I wonder if that's the reason I get burnt sometimes. And yes, I too have a life, hear me.I was born on a rainy day somewhere in Asia, when a stranger bought me on the antique Bird & Flower Market…