Most read stories

the hunt

942942 views77 comments55 favs

.

Prologue (excerpt from a novel)

942942 views55 comments11 fav

The clip-clopping of footsteps now echoes from the opposite end of the alleyway, and as you turn to face the figure who appears behind you, the figure wearing a fierce Noh-drama mask, you determine that this time you will enlist its aid in decoding this r

Obtaining Sophia

942942 views44 comments33 favs

My accordion's name is Sophia and she is from Italy. She was born in fairytale fashion, the way my life in Madrid can sometimes be. A great and nurturing friend gathered money from many friends in our village, to buy me an accordion for my birthday. It was…

falling

942942 views1717 comments1010 favs

I arrange my stones in circles

Picture of You: Song

942942 views44 comments44 favs

Here’s a picture of you Lit up by the internal light Of the moon. It was a Super moon that night And the story of God Had not been told And we had to wait a good Long time to hear it out in the cold And I was the King of Fishers

Avec le Corps de Ballet du Boston Celtiques

942942 views00 comments00 favs

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Also a thing with bodacious knockers.

ancients

942942 views1313 comments99 favs

rheumy eyes wink, gnarled hands pantomime

Triplicate

942942 views00 comments00 favs

Redundancy was critical for survival, the builders said, so they designed Us with three cores of memory, each segment fully capable of independent operation.

Roanne Smiled

942942 views22 comments00 favs

With some of these guys it was like propping a kid on a training-wheel bike, then steering the kid down the street til he figured out what to do next. Tricks would come into the bar. Roanne had a smile for all but the dregs…

Carmen Rental

942942 views44 comments44 favs

But in 1991 Carmen developed a heroin habit and was forced to sell her powder blue, convertible Mercedes 500SL...

Out of Time

942942 views88 comments55 favs

I was so high on the not knowing, I thought, you will love me for my confusion. And so I allowed myself to reach further inward than either of us felt comfortable. I imagined a delicious vanilla pudding at the core of my exploration, sweet and satisfying enough for me to…

Youngstown

941941 views22 comments22 favs

Last night I met a man from the same littleshithole townthat you are fromand I kissed him in the mouth to find out if he tasted like coallike you do.While he slept, I tried to pinpoint on a map I drew on his back exactly how far apart you might have been:how many years…

Dear A. Lien

941941 views22 comments00 favs

Time is a form of sandwich. Each component of the sandwich is nestled between night and day, which enclose it like slices of bread. There are minutes, hours, and seconds. Seconds are tiny, like sesame seeds. Minutes are a little larger. Think of them as p

Fragment from an Unwritten Diary

941941 views66 comments44 favs

It's not stories the quiet lack, but inclination...

THUNDERSNOW

941941 views33 comments33 favs

I know who done it. Them goddamn taters. I walked around the yard and started picking up pieces of the camaro, wondering if, from above, they’d laid the parts out into some kinda cult symbols or something.

Recycling Evidence

941941 views1111 comments88 favs

how much is downed/ to counteract the down/ with deeper down.

The Night Madison Brooke Burned Alive

941941 views00 comments00 favs

She told me it had been there since she was a kid, this large black spot like a blimp floating from her right arm up to the tip of her neck. She had really pale skin so she kinda looked like a cow strutting down the street.

Uncle Max

941941 views11 comment11 fav

Before Uncle Max died of a heart attack, he had some words of advice for his only nephew and godson. Upon his death, as instructed, a package in brown paper arrived at Jeffery Glimson’s house on a warm June afternoon.

The Friend

941941 views11 comment11 fav

She is walking to the café to meet her friend. Her friend is there already because she walked from where was getting her haircut. Her friend sent her a text message that said, “OMW” for…

140 Words on Solitude and Being Alone

941941 views99 comments44 favs

As a child I drowned myself in the pages of books, and as a writer I prefer to be left alone with my imagination.

ALL THOSE YEARS

941941 views11 comment11 fav

Joseph and his little brother, Kevin, were there again. Kevin was too small to understand what had happened yet. He would usually just go off, running around the statues and playing with the wreaths; the last time they'd visited he climbed a tree and broke one of the…

The Unseen Hand Shuffles the Deck

941941 views1010 comments66 favs

2008Not a bubble burstbut a trust ruptured.The guilty don't survivebut, rather, thrive. 2011The monied are superior.They game the system well.As we work harder, longer,their paper fortunes swell.2017Marie and Louie were monied once.The Romanovs as well.Fast as blades and…

Dream

941941 views11 comment00 favs

Lately, instead of the images of dreams waking me up, as has always been the case, it is sounds that jolt me awake. The thumps and roars and slithering of creatures unseen. The ghosts that slam cupboards shut. The apparitions of robbers breaking down the front door:…

Not Lao-tzu's Magna Carta, lxxiii - lxxxi

941941 views55 comments44 favs

proper words fail to get proper points across . . . truthful words have no beauty,/beautiful words have no truth.

His Bus

941941 views00 comments00 favs

He'd always considered it his bus.

Drowning

941941 views11 comment00 favs

I found Mathew face down, cold and ridged like a plastic doll. I had overslept because he never cried—never told me he was hungry. Rodney had to peel my arms from around my son so the paramedics could take him in a blaze of flashing red and white lights.…

I Thought

941941 views33 comments33 favs

I thought we ended things a long time ago

Cats

941941 views22 comments22 favs

Steve lowers himself onto a lounge chair and lets out a long, overdue sigh. Cliff and Jim, the frickin’ and frackin’ of the built-in pool industry, are making a Burger Chef run while the cement sets.

Hexagon

941941 views00 comments00 favs

an ominous figure of fear and grace a ball moves back and forth

Arcana Magi Zero - c.2

941941 views00 comments00 favs

It was so dark below, there was only flashlights weaving about and headlights pointing in one direction.