Most read stories

Next Time, Academics

10151015 views1414 comments55 favs

I suggested when we passed the flesh shack that we turn around and that I go in and say to the sex workers that the Russians are fetching $3.5K per hour in Manhattan and it's private, unlike there at that road-side shack.

Poem before Video Store

10151015 views77 comments44 favs

Last night was full of little fists

Why Men Compete

10151015 views44 comments33 favs

It starts on the Fallopian Speedway:

Safe

10141014 views77 comments66 favs

Safe does not ride horses at sunsetSnorkel in MolokaiRaft down a swollen river.It does not steal kisses in a darkened theaterTouch the inside of a thigh under a restaurant table.Safe does not declare war.It chooses dinner every night at sixMass every SundayConfession once a…

The Masquerade

10141014 views44 comments33 favs

Atlanta, 1990The night we almost died,crushed at a one-hit wonder concert,comes back to mewhen the club announces it's closing.An ancient excelsior millturned industrial dance hall,I spent three years mapping every dark corner, finding secret places for sex and…

His Name Was Tokarsky, But He Looked Like Bob Dylan

10141014 views33 comments33 favs

Tokarsky and I got chased off an El train by a couple of mean-looking black dudes who looked like they were going to crush us. I let go a spritz of tear gas that I had on me in the train and we ran as it came to a stop at the Morris Street stop. They chas

Boswell Meets The Subterrans

10141014 views00 comments00 favs

He bounds like a lunar explorer into the Edinburgh Castle, the goofy porcelain busts glaring at him with contempt.

Maggie

10141014 views00 comments00 favs

But she didn't. It would have been no historical anomaly if she had, by the way. She played with the world like it was a toy. Sometimes I wondered if I'd wake up in a box, a victim of live internment, and scream only to be humiliated later by her laughter

Driving Through The Dharma At Midnight

10141014 views22 comments00 favs

Headlights pierce mist illuminate extraordinary shadows, shapes, presences Without substance without form In constant motion or not there at all. Thunder and rain wash away, wash away my blues Dream a dream of dreaming, Dream a little dream of me and listen to…

I Liquidate My Assets

10141014 views55 comments55 favs

My businessman does as his nature allows him. He is so cute. All day long he makes deals. He is on his phone most of the time. He raises his voice. “Fuck those fuckers, just do it,” is what he says. My businessman hedges risk on his investments by keeping…

The Crossing

10141014 views00 comments00 favs

His left hand is still clutching the blue Bic lighter in his pocket, rubbing it slowly but firmly. Anticipation is building, filling Theodore up like a combustible gas inside of a too-small container.

Triolet

10141014 views1111 comments88 favs

the magic is our making

Interview with the Cat

10141014 views44 comments00 favs

As part of an online writers ”interview” series, I decided to deviate a little from the norm and do my first interview with our housecat, while I await my first ever conversation with an actual human.

A Bite-Sized Piece

10141014 views00 comments00 favs

But conversation, like music, is measured in beats, and he waits for more than one, and loses the moment.

A Life Lived In Outline

10141014 views22 comments22 favs

He began life as we all do, an almost indeterminate blob. Ultrasound sonar plotting his outline on screen. The echo chambers of his beating heart dispelling the ectoplasmic impression of mere ghostly existence. His rudimentary …

Message

10141014 views00 comments11 fav

When the telephone rang the fallow fields we lay in years ago became distant countries, filled with falling stars. The distant country into which you had disappeared became a pistol with a single bullet in the chamber.

said the fury to the shade

10141014 views33 comments44 favs

let competitions in crime ensue let every madness bring let every sword be drawn let every furious rage flow free let anger know no shame let all blind rage inflame . . .

Family Circle

10141014 views77 comments33 favs

the far-flung Turner boys and their broods descended upon Pemberton like locusts

Every Step, and There Are Lots

10131013 views22 comments00 favs

Her plastic shopping bag brushes your leg. You look into it and all you see is a 2 liter of Coke, a bag of Lay’s potato chips and a package of Oreos. It’s so oddly touching, so purely American, that your heart breaks a little bit. You want to hug t

Rent a DNA

10131013 views00 comments00 favs

“Yo, Paciorek. Lend me your DNA, cuz I left mine on the farm, and I have a test tomorrow,” Feller ordered in a commanding voice, because he had gumption.

Arcana Magi Memorial Vol.6 - c.3

10131013 views00 comments00 favs

Mother’s eyes stared outward in a trance, on her throne, visualizing the world Azure made. Though it was right before her, she could not reach it.

Big Al Dissects Literary Fiction since No One Else in the Bar could pronounce Aristotle

10131013 views11 comment00 favs

“Well” I say. “What do you think about the dilemma of a guy who’s tortured by a history of incest and bondage?” “Depends” Says Al. “On who was cested and who was bonded.

The Application of Birds

10131013 views66 comments55 favs

I know someone in need of healing.

Walking To Gibraltar, Chapter 6: In Which Moral Boundaries Are Set

10131013 views00 comments00 favs

The first time they were separated, he rediscovered music and writing.

Chipmunk Song

10131013 views00 comments00 favs

Chipmunk SongChipmunk workin' in the roadside weedsLookin' all around for nuts and seedsSmall bird callin' from a hickory treeAll's right with the world and all's right with meChipmunk searchin' for nuts and seedsLucky fellow finds all he needsAs for me all I desireIs a…

Post

10131013 views11 comment00 favs

Beyond the parrots and the palms, she can see an airplane resting in the canyon below, belly up, wings like outstretched arms, the occupants inside presumably rotting in their seats.

Epic struggle between right and wrong...

10131013 views00 comments00 favs

The day was yesterday, November 11, 2010. I was home from work, and I pulled my car into the driveway. I stopped short of the garage to get out of the car and get the daily mail. Bills and unwanted coupons for places I didn't go and for items I don't…

Just Kidding

10131013 views33 comments11 fav

Your place is extra. No it isn't. It is, baby. The man was as aroused by her discomfort as he had been annoyed by her laugh. She wasn't laughing now.

13 statements about the United States of Chimerica made by the Bird King during a press conference

10131013 views11 comment11 fav

1. Jesus made the United States of Chimerica from the hide of a gator he killed with his bare hands back in the winter of '81.2. The people of the United States of Chimerica are watched over by a straight-talkin' angel with hillbilly eyes and a crown of nuclear missiles.3.…

Haikus for Miss Winehouse

10131013 views99 comments55 favs

Drag queens weep sequins