Most discussed stories

Lobster

12941294 views77 comments66 favs

She loved me once. When we were young and the world revolved slowly in our hands. She never said as much, but she did. I knew by the way she moved, the looks, the whispers in the dead of night that carried only to my ears. We spent weeks on that beach in…

Don't Be Difficult

10631063 views77 comments77 favs

maybe eventually time / will erase our time together

The '08 Campaign And the Crash

16671667 views77 comments77 favs

Here's the '08 presidential campaign in a nutshell: The Dems couldn't dredge up a white guy that even the dead in Chicago would vote for, so they went with Obama. Meanwhile, the GOP couldn't dig Reagan up try as they might,…

1973, what I wanted

988988 views77 comments33 favs

Not the torn magazine page, not the smell of ink, not the sweat of palm nor the froth of irish spring

Educating an American

12281228 views77 comments33 favs

Note to self: look up Bobby Sands.

Verboten

11311131 views77 comments11 fav

Scales were installed on station platforms. Those who were overweight were turned away

President Liz

871871 views77 comments66 favs

I fancy myself a spy. Unofficial official of the H. O. A. Super secret free agent agent of the Glenwood Homeowner's Association. Even the board is unaware of the work I do in their name, without the faintest utterance of their name. Only the highest of the high, the…

The Starfish and The Pin Joint

675675 views77 comments55 favs

The two boys walked the long dock to the edge of bay,like scrappy lobsters pointing toward the waves,"The cockroaches of the sea,"his father said,It was the old country"Only prisoners were fed lobster.They stayed in the dampholes."He thought the sea ebbed and flowed like a…

The Abandoned Shoe Project

12711271 views77 comments88 favs

It’s the unfinished sentences Of the children on our refrigerators That worry me the most It’s the Fake News It’s all the people Living in their shopping carts Without shoes It’s the abandoned shoe On the street And the Abandoned S

Move Over

11001100 views77 comments22 favs

In fifth grade my mom gave me her CD player. I didn't own many CDs, only a few I remember, but I couldn't take it off my head.

The Messenger

14631463 views77 comments11 fav

Sophie didn't stop for lunch when she worked. She showed up first in the morning and worked through until the last package was delivered. She pedaled from building to building and walked quickly, at just shy…

Love Sick

10821082 views77 comments22 favs

Love is a strong word ... When you could have been enough.

Brand

781781 views77 comments55 favs

Nobody buying...

The Noise

787787 views77 comments55 favs

I'm hearing a noise. I can't see it. It's hiding and seems to be coming from the other side of the creek. With boots on I slowly wade across. The water makes its light lapping sounds. Reaching the bank, I search for the noise. It must have a face, suntanned and warm, that I…

The Good Farmer

12561256 views77 comments66 favs

He leans in close then, close enough that when he speaks, his words tiptoe out and tuck me in.

What's It To You

10671067 views77 comments33 favs

Oh I'm melting all right, into a foul vapor rising from a dead volcano, not even able to spit fire, but only cold old frozen rock like dribbles of putrid plasma.

Achieving Inner Peace without facebook

12541254 views77 comments11 fav

There was an empty box on his facebook page asking to be filled in with, “What’s on your mind?” He thought. "Hair?"

Tons

947947 views77 comments11 fav

Drink tons of water they keep telling me...

The Accidental Voyeur

22502250 views77 comments77 favs

He had wanted to lick lucidity, curl his tongue and take it back inside his mouth, curl it all the way down his throat, let it bulge inside his neck, feel it snake into his stomach, and come out into the netherworlds with warmth and satisfaction.

At the Cafe

11381138 views77 comments77 favs

The light on his face from a lamp, felt hat with a black band scrunched down, the light on his face as though thrown there, the nose creating a strong shadow, with dark, straight eyebrows under the hat, red and orange beard. Leaning forwar

Summer Is An Itch

11361136 views77 comments22 favs

Underwater your eyes collapseand your feet touch decayed leavesand soft sand at the lake's bottom, the texture of tenderized flesh,maybe an intestineYou spring to the surface tofind your skull met by waterflies, and their limbstweak your peaceOn the shore your…

Startle Reflex

11191119 views77 comments77 favs

I’m decades in and it hasn’t gone away. In all other respects, I am normal. Life is hard, but I’m not complaining. The thing is, I am in a constant state of falling.

The Optimist

624624 views77 comments44 favs

If people were more loyal to me we wouldn't be having all these problems.

Mississippi Burning

13561356 views77 comments33 favs

“There are no inhibitions in here,” the postman shouted, gesturing at the dance floor with his Marlboro Light, the glowing tip aimed at a woman in a taut skirt. Leaning far forward, her hands nearly touching the plywood floor, she planted her feet and beg

Abecedarian inspired by Bill Yarrow

11261126 views77 comments66 favs

Despite what the bible says, Shadrach and Meshach had no third brother named Abednego. To pay for his cello lessons, Yo-Yo Ma worked the subways of New York as a busker. Just chill. After Sal went into witness protection, he yearned for a job at the art…

Cattle Crossing

769769 views77 comments55 favs

"You wantin' one of them kittens? If we can't give 'em away we're gonna drown 'em. We got too many."

(Platter of) Figs and Oranges Set to a Warped Organ Fanfare from Long Ago

10731073 views77 comments66 favs

Lonely kids only want this thing to go away and stay away. To not be lonely anymore. The lonely, uncool Kids have learned to be absolutely Still in the moment. Who does this fall to? They Haven't read enough Vonnegut for your liking? David Foster…

An Orphan of Fire

10691069 views77 comments44 favs

I break your flesh and make music on the harp of your bones.

The Sunlight of the Mind

10591059 views77 comments55 favs

The nerves are birds that guide us to feeling the loop and lift of reverie.

It's All in Your Head

810810 views77 comments66 favs

The terms of a broken heart, I guess I nevergot to read them. But they must besomething awful, something numbing, something no sane personwould ever agree to. You're already on the vergeof becoming nothing I can remember without a photograph beingshoved in my face. Like a…