Most discussed stories

Moon Over L.A.

12611261 views88 comments88 favs

The moon begins to rise over L.A. while the roaches try to crawl up the sides of the mountains surrounding the L.A. Basin. While fires rage in the forests of the night, here comes the moon over the horizon, big and haunted, pock-marked and coo

House Next Door

902902 views88 comments88 favs

It all began with me. I was first and for many years, the only.

Here, You Cry

323323 views88 comments77 favs

Once a week the kids at school got ice cream and popsicles. You didn’t, you never had ice cream money.

Cheese (train writings)

12031203 views88 comments44 favs

"This tastes like goat cheese," I said.

George, Love, Shakespeare and Company

14211421 views88 comments66 favs

"Love, against the dying of the light." (An unusual story about George Whitman, former owner of the revered & beloved Shakespeare & Company bookstore in Paris, France.)

Herd

957957 views88 comments44 favs

We may think about so many things and thoughts about rain. We may think about where it is going, where it comes from.

Crackle

12491249 views88 comments66 favs

As he brushes his shoulders against other people's shoulders until he almost has no shoulders –

Tumbleweed Suite

10901090 views88 comments66 favs

in late fall, Rome, sans wind, sans rancor, sans sand or rain, sans hate ...

Antediluvian

10211021 views88 comments55 favs

He hid gallons in the garage,Fifths in the basement,Pints in toilet tanks,Airline bottles were on his person at all times.But he wasn't drinking.Why would he?He'd bought the cure at an expensive CenterThat taught him YogaAnd acupunctured away his brokenness.The cure worked,…

The Light From A Sports Bar A Thousand Miles Away

17491749 views88 comments22 favs

"Michael has had no drink, no cigarette, no illicit drug and very little illicit sex since September 14, 1989."

Years After

13021302 views88 comments66 favs

Years After she can go home.

Instinct

11541154 views88 comments99 favs

They coo and gurgle in the warmth of twig and down. They are so delicate, hard to look at without thinking of death. I tell them I want for them chief among all things strength, speed, resilience.

Goat

16231623 views88 comments88 favs

But we tell them to each other. We feel we are riding on a boat in the well. That is our secret. We aren't. We know we aren't.

THE RUNAWAY (I)

11251125 views88 comments44 favs

Her purse still hangs on the knob by the door, and seeing it is all that keeps Josh from freaking out because he knows she can’t go too far or too long without her purse.

Mr. Kunitz, Mr. Lowell, Mrs. Craig

12041204 views88 comments66 favs

Although I think we can easily work it out because we are not here in the Yale graduate school, and diction is the theme of the story. Diction is a choice in language.

Big Hotel Inside Your Jungle Brain

13691369 views88 comments88 favs

He's not something you'll want, waiting for you inside your living room's ear. Go and see your family. Breathe the broad daylight whenever you can. I got lost in some free form dog caves. That's all. That's no path to aspire to …

Kazooed

11491149 views88 comments77 favs

"I've been on eight blind dates in three days," she tells me. I can't quite work the math out, but somehow the combination of her wildly undulating eyebrows and harsh vocal tone manage to convince me."I can play the kazoo," I tell her. It's my one saving grace--the thing…

Hunger

14691469 views88 comments88 favs

It took all four of his kids to convince my father to pull the plug. Mom's car crash had left her a vegetable, but of course he hung on. Once they withdrew life support, she was gone in ten minutes. The first thing our father said was that he was hungry. He felt…

Our Own

11321132 views88 comments66 favs

The world is upon us. The only thing that matters Now is if you are willing to be seen by them. Many moths Will be hidden by simply gathering on the bark Of the one tree, but this will not sustain you if you Do not also have the courage…

This Is How You Make The Bed

10081008 views88 comments77 favs

He disrobes; shoes, socks, shirt, belt, pants. He smells of hard work. The nude whisper of everything else.

Beyond the Voice

15271527 views88 comments55 favs

We might as well be honest: we’re talking about the two of us here. No one, not even the cameraman, had any idea even after all these years. For more than a decade we’d been bringing the six o’clock news into a medium-almost-major market region.

You, me, now, then

806806 views88 comments66 favs

If I seemed disappointed after our conversation, then, for the record, that was never the case.

Far Star Girl

12821282 views88 comments33 favs

She thought maybe an angel had called out her name. She wasn't sure. She was waiting for her older sister to return with Jujy Fruits and bonbons. The theater, neither light nor dark, was to Cassie's ten-year-old mind, an appropriate-enough setting for a v

Testament/ National Poetry Month, 2013/ 25 Poems

882882 views88 comments55 favs

Small stones/ skipped across/ still water ripple

Manifesto

10241024 views88 comments55 favs

I write poems.

Odds Are

23852385 views88 comments44 favs

We're on a bench in the park under some trees close to the carousel when she tells me I can't count on having a career as a professional gambler.

Kinky Eggs

10481048 views88 comments00 favs

She plucks two eggs from the carton, weighs and measures them with the cup of her palm, the curve of her fingers.

Bow Ties & Brooklyn Dressing

11551155 views88 comments55 favs

collars of obedience / discarded in the pyre / with draft cards and bras

Love Cycle – a serial

10791079 views88 comments66 favs

1. How can one begrudge the cracking open of a heart?When the lava love fire loaded insanity of self-control disappearsAnd the raw spewing beginsYou better be ready for the truthIt ain't gonna be prettyYou'll wish you were deadYou won't recognize where you areYou'll be…

Out of Time

920920 views88 comments55 favs

I was so high on the not knowing, I thought, you will love me for my confusion. And so I allowed myself to reach further inward than either of us felt comfortable. I imagined a delicious vanilla pudding at the core of my exploration, sweet and satisfying enough for me to…