Recommended stories

The Sinking Boat of Evolution

657657 views22 comments22 favs

Living dangerously, I left my house with no glasses, no umbrella. I also forgot my straw hat, no purple dye for my gray hair, my map of the world to come,

Lost Boy - Excerpt from Single Stroke Seven

941941 views22 comments22 favs

“How long you been waiting around?” he asks as he pockets my soggy ten-dollar bill. “For a jump or break in life?” I ask. He smirks. “I hear that.”

The Yardsale is Over and the Rain is Falling and It Is Getting Dark

11981198 views33 comments11 fav

I stared deep into the sepias... And you touched my soul anew.

#1

832832 views22 comments22 favs

“I am the Successor of Peter!” he said, supporting himself on the shepherd’s staff topped with a crucifix: “And you are trespassing on Holy Ground.” Baal said: “No ground is Holy for me.

Hey! Where? Georgie Girl!

11961196 views22 comments22 favs

Starry, Starry Night we slept, talked and did the nasty where I, in innocence once built a raft of driftwood to take me twenty miles across to the shore from which we ferried escaping my Father’s demise

The Untold Story

11131113 views22 comments11 fav

I kept a journal for so many years I've forgotten everything I wrote.

Legend from the Shi-chi, the History by Ssu-ma Chi'en

140140 views33 comments11 fav

Disenchanted by Chou state's decline, Lao Tzu, its archive's chief historian, Born in Li village, teacher of Confucius (The wise man journeyed far to study with him, Was told: 'Surrender all your arrogance, Ingratiating ways, your wild ambition.') …

Cocoa Instead

10361036 views33 comments11 fav

While waiting for the water to boil she formulated an excuse that the Saitos would be forced to accept as to why she must drop Isuko as a student. Suddenly the kettle sung out like a soprano, desperate to be silenced.

A Not-For-Kids Dream That All Boys Have

999999 views11 comment11 fav

The room turns red and I start screaming and ejaculating. The whole class is watching as Mr.Smith slams down my copy of the test with his right hand and swiftly tears off my penis with his left.

Ready to Go

976976 views66 comments00 favs

Where the fuck are my keys?Where the hell is my phone?Where the fuck are my keys?Where the hell is my phone?Where the fuck are my keys?Where the hell is my phone?Where the fuck are my keys?Where the hell is my phone?Where the fuck are my keys?Where the hell is my…

The Swan On Earth

666666 views22 comments22 favs

I saw God sobbing in a wheelchair. I saw God on the ceiling of your bedroom on Illinois Street while you were inside me the first time. (I remember so many things… Do you remember who I am yet?) I saw myself, far away in a window – the swan on earth

The Man Who Defied Gravity

11601160 views33 comments11 fav

Let us be stranded in the Andes and have to eat human flesh or at least toothpaste to survive! Let there be an earthquake! Let there be a flood! Let there be a tornado, a new ice age, an invasion from Mars. Only: let me survive.

A Story

10851085 views44 comments11 fav

The next moment is a convergence made from a single repeating sequence that disappears behind the voice that tells of it.

Sex in the Hothouse

13321332 views33 comments11 fav

"Heaven-high, choking on our own breath and each other's tongues."

The Ringlet: Part II

10451045 views33 comments11 fav

Ashford Garth Willingsham IV stood looking out at the Gulf of Mexico from his mansion on Longboat Key. In his right hand was a letter from his divorce lawyer, Reynard Foxx...

Preacher Alphonse Jicklo

959959 views55 comments11 fav

Samson was also somewhat in hopes that his son Jason would become engaged in this minor capitalist enterprise and 'turned around' in his life.

We measure all this distance in Longing

450450 views44 comments11 fav

“I’ve decided to make some money by filming some of it, making a film and titling it The Nascar 500. It’s a great money maker and here's the gimmick: instead of the usual porn soundtrack it would be the sounds of stock cars racing around the track.

Why They Cried: Roy

14951495 views22 comments11 fav

“Where did it go? You don’t know do you?” he teased the dogs as he adjusted the bottle rocket he had twisted into the ground at his feet, trying to find the optimal path.

Here

11941194 views44 comments11 fav

I am reintroducing myself.

Have You Seen This Girl ?

26542654 views44 comments11 fav

And it struck me. You needed to be on the side of a milk carton. 2 percent of course.

One Thousand Incarnations and One Thousand Deaths - Part I

11511151 views44 comments11 fav

She heard mortar fire, whose percussive power rose above the tapping typewriter keys. A perspiration of terror broke on Loretta’s brow, under her arms. Then suddenly, the whistling of shells.

The Option Package

667667 views22 comments22 favs

he felt like ranting about cars.

The Edge

10171017 views44 comments11 fav

You're riding on the edge The edge of life and death Popping pills Shooting thrills Snorting coke and meth Running fast from it all Heading for a fall Needle in your arm What do you care Who does it harm Looks change at will With each and every pill …

Con Artist

871871 views11 comment11 fav

The name he was using this time was Paul Sterling.

Perimeter and Paramour

923923 views22 comments22 favs

Jack and Jane went up the hill.Give us a drink, said Jack. Here go, said Jane. They watched a bit of the city below, the city that was lit up by soft electrical lights. What say tonight Jane? Why so quiet? Many spirits are out Jack. They are all around. …

Mourning

11141114 views33 comments11 fav

It was a phone call we never expected. You were so full of life and joy and the sound of your laugh was pierced in our minds. Two strokes. That's what they said. No explanation, no back story. We worried we would lose you. Immediately, all of our memories with you started…

Dream Eater

12331233 views22 comments22 favs

I began to feed him. All the things I could think of - horror movies, cheese, salt, pickles, chilli. Vitamin B6 tablets washed down with warm milk. Anything I could do to grow little nightmares for my new pet.

Midnight in Arizona

813813 views33 comments11 fav

I am in a war against the literal. I have sewn these words together to make a stand of birch. I wander the earth gathering moon shadows and swords. Kerosene dots punctuate the Dakota night. An apparition of words hops through a calculus problem and falls into a…

Metal Heads: A Novel

17481748 views11 comment11 fav

The orange sky melts away. Shadows fall and twist in the wind. I’m on patrol with three of my buds, there to retrieve the body of a fallen comrade, Bill’s body, we’re told. They got him, used him, then dumped his body in a ditch and said, “He

Happy National Hairball Awareness Day

836836 views33 comments22 favs

Something’s not right. Okie, the elder cat, seems–distrait. Taciturn. Phlegmatic. And those are just leftover vocab words from my son’s senior English class.