Recommended stories

Tonight

12581258 views1010 comments44 favs

Let's fuck like 20-year-olds, darlingwrap ourselves around each otherand fuck our way to the starsLet's cross that line between you and meand the stuff people pay to seeI know pleasure and it is thisall over me, you, covering,…

red lights alone

921921 views55 comments55 favs

before five/glancing down Academy Street/sloping west to where the tracks crossed/twisted tangled metal on wheels.

The Head

10251025 views1313 comments44 favs

So I've got this head in a jar and I'm not sure who it belongs to.

From Below

11291129 views44 comments33 favs

I can hear the echoes clearly. They are distinct and crisp, almost as though they're all on exact trajectories to me from their final bounce, without any interference. Each sound, while unintelligible, seems to fit perfectly and expectantly into my ears

Barker

11341134 views66 comments55 favs

Barkety bark

Catalog of Backgrounds

10931093 views55 comments55 favs

nowhere after nowhere

For Better or Worse

12331233 views77 comments44 favs

I married a penguin. Her waddle made for a scenic view.

The Bird, The Snake, and Me

10411041 views99 comments44 favs

The truth about the bird and the snake is this. They are dead. And me? I cannot stop thinking about them.

Assiduity Sixteen

11621162 views66 comments55 favs

I'm fascinated by Don's evolution . . .

The Man Who Lived Amongst the Cannibals

13461346 views77 comments55 favs

“Ah Willie! Ah my boy! You poor sweet faced youth. Gone now! Our memories, Willie, our memories will haunt us forever with your laughter, your joy, your enduring excuses, your misspellings & badly slanted penmanship. Oh Willie. My boy. Gone & gone f

The Mission of Dimitri Kastratitov

951951 views66 comments55 favs

A nuclear-plant fuel rod engineer, Dimitri Kastrotov, had an axe to grind, so invented an atomic deterrent, to counterbalance mankind. He targeted the filthy rich, greedy sons of a bitch, breeding war, weapons and nukes at a reckless fever pitch After …

Notes Via The Coffee Shop

11891189 views77 comments55 favs

Biscuits and gravy. I'm off today, I'm lazy.

Playground

838838 views66 comments22 favs

The Keds-stubbed grass, toy trucks without wheels, and Band-aids threaded in the sand… Most parenting is vigilance. Seconds ahead of its own sound, a passenger jet spears the heights not far above the treetops, …

Doctor

10671067 views55 comments55 favs

I asked her how she came to be at our little party. We all knew she was an intern. What would she want with the likes of us, the orderlies and techs and strays? She just held up Ed's flyer and said, "Why not?" But she didn't look happy. We fired up and someone said, "Let's…

Mon in the forest: a fragment

10101010 views55 comments44 favs

Mon wakes up surrounded by trees. The light is grey, the trunks black.How long have I slept? he wonders.He doesn't know which way to walk. In every direction, the same prospect of trees. He looks up at a blank sky. No sign even of the sun.***He starts walking. Slowly,…

The Clarity of Loss

12071207 views66 comments44 favs

This year I did not markthe day of your death.I let it slip by in an afternoonfilled with music you'll never hear,words you'll never read,a chorus of voices raised in protestat the unwavering passage of time.I don't need a numberto know that you are gone.Since you went…

The Cliffs at Fayburrow

602602 views44 comments55 favs

Whatever the world is it is alsoyou. This leaves me smiling. I'm glad you arein it. I'm glad for the deepest colorblue like the Mediterranean sea,for instance. Baby orangutans. Forclouds and mushrooms and seahorses. Songs fromtreetops. Whatever the world has it has…

A Terse Invocation of Cuttlefish

10371037 views55 comments55 favs

Once the limits of human commitment to logic are conceded, cuttlefish may in fact be deemed superior logicians to all other aspirants.

Blind

12601260 views55 comments44 favs

My mother saw the Devil everywhere, even in my dance teacher, with his black leotards and chest hair like bean sprouts. "You're flamingos," he'd say in class when we balanced on one foot; when we lept into the air, "Now you're panthers!" I pictured him in a dark robe,…

Cups for Saucers

11571157 views55 comments55 favs

They were everywhere walking right above us or so it seemed, back and forth, back and forth with their lousy, crunching heels making hollow chewed up noises that took all the sweet sounds left on earth and had them march along…

Chemistry (Valentine's Day Massacre)

24672467 views88 comments44 favs

Whenever we’re carressin’, I find you quite engrossin’, I’m filled with vasopressin endorphins and oxytocin.

Neat

933933 views77 comments33 favs

His audio archive of Bay Area musicians extends along two walls, twenty-five by fifteen feet, in drawers of C.D.s hundreds deep. Where will it go, I asked, permanently.

Angels Carry the Sun excerpt: Chapter One, In the Woods

13511351 views55 comments33 favs

Chapter One In the Woods Everett Finn liked white-bread sandwiches. In June, Flora forfeited all her free cafeteria lunches to sit with him during his quiet lunch breaks in the classroom. "Eleven more days until graduation," she told him. He sat…

Nothing in the World (an excerpt)

16331633 views44 comments55 favs

All night the moon had watched him, and he’d been unable to return its stare. Finally there was sunlight, and Joško took up his rifle and rucksack. He had trouble keeping his balance at first, but gradually his legs steadied.

Otillie

10331033 views66 comments55 favs

Shhh. I am here. Otillie Augustine, from Trieste, an Italian city to you, but when I lived it was part of Austria. Such things as who flies their flags over a city? Not so important after all, after all the losses and the victory speeches. These were not…

No Nows Now

13621362 views55 comments55 favs

. . . did you notice yesterday afternoon how for an entire quarter hour five o’clock itself looked for a few minutes as if it would never arrive?

His Laugh is My Yellow (or explaining skin color to a six-year-old boy)

11321132 views55 comments44 favs

Max is the color of burnt caramelized sugar the sweet crust that decorates our bright enameled pots.

Things being said

832832 views66 comments55 favs

Things are still being said in a world that sounds like rough bows and straight slicing arrows communicating with (smashing like fists) a poor pool of tired animals. There must also come a time to surprise these same cruel machines…

Best Place To Eat in Town

10191019 views1010 comments33 favs

Often I eat lunch at the hospital. The cafeteria may be the best place to eat in town.

A Natural Consequence of Things

14081408 views66 comments44 favs

Belief is a hammer, like saying the mind is a piece of iron.