Recommended stories

Small Boat Row Told Through a Roughed Out Dungeon Window

955955 views55 comments55 favs

The princess knew exactly where to find the annoying gurgling frog of her childhood, but she wasn't wearing the right shoes to step onto lily pads with, so she decided there and then to take a stolen boat out onto that soft mission, all by herself instead. It was a…

Eyes Without a Face

10571057 views55 comments66 favs

It's tough when muscle gets in the way of memory. The way pain is the only thing I can remember about certain things. Fifth grade, that's what I think of. I think of pain. Not just abstract pain, not some we'll get to it later adolescent angst or ennui.…

The Bedbugs

11661166 views55 comments55 favs

Cockroaches in bed was the last straw. Alicia was sure she’d swallowed one in the middle of the night . . .

Upon Learning the Fetus Has Fingernails

15401540 views1111 comments44 favs

Upon learning the fetus has fingernails, Missy texts her boyfriend: It has nails! He won’t reply because he’s just left for war, but she does it just the same.

The Arms of the Forest

15571557 views88 comments55 favs

Watch me sleep. Say I'm lovely, marbled-white. Pretend my forest is other to me. Pretend I am what you have made me. The sugar-almond starlet. Your virgin. Your treasure to break into. Believe me unconscious. It is you who are the dreamer. Look how those thorny…

Missing Bananas

517517 views55 comments55 favs

He's no fruit lover.

Man

868868 views1010 comments44 favs

There’s not enough time because we come back to the things we never learn and forget them.

The She-Wolf of Leningrad

13221322 views1212 comments55 favs

The heavyset blind woman came into the art opening without a dog or a cane.

The Judge's Wife Part 5

10121012 views88 comments55 favs

—Jesus, that bastard has everyone in his pocket.

Surge Of Green

790790 views55 comments55 favs

Already past the harbinger of yellow crocus

God Works Out of A Home Office

709709 views55 comments55 favs

with binoculars neighbor reads screen text:

Desert

11061106 views77 comments55 favs

On a trail, Richard and I came upon a saguaro cactus that had dried in the shape of a human figure. Its arms were lifted and its back was stooped. I said, “It looks like my mother.”

This Will Hurt

12591259 views88 comments55 favs

He says the medic held a needle/said, “This will hurt,”/and pierced his lung

Credenza

969969 views88 comments66 favs

Now the house is empty of romance except a potted flowering plant from my mother for Valentine's Day. No man has set foot in my museum since I moved here. One man has set foot. The owner's brother to see about the gasket under the toilet. The Comcast installers, twice. The…

Preliminary

13231323 views1111 comments55 favs

After court, the three of us skipped third period, walked down to the river and huddled under the 6th Street Bridge.

Peppercorns

605605 views1010 comments55 favs

Fertile bodies eye/ the space you occupy,/ impatient for disappearance.

Pitcher

800800 views77 comments55 favs

the shape only adhering

Do Not Spank the Truth

10411041 views55 comments66 favs

Do not spank the truth Whatever else you do You do not ever Spank the truth If you let the truth be spanked You will be diminished And it will never let you Be finished, instead When you are dead You will dangle in the land Between

Lint Trick

10101010 views88 comments55 favs

Those socks? Nope. I'd look like the joker in the commercial, the creep with the pollen issues and the triangular smile. What a genius. It's the part off-screen I can't forget, the part they left on the editing reel. She's crumbling the crackers into her soup, that dry…

The Blankey

13191319 views66 comments55 favs

All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. All was confusion in the Lubrecht house. Baby Lubrecht had discovered that his favorite blankey, thought by him to have been lost, was in fact being used by his older sister, Lilly Lubrecht.…

Goatee

10541054 views77 comments66 favs

"I'm in a wrestling movie!" you shouted.

Bookstore Reading, Telegraph Ave, Berkeley

10991099 views55 comments55 favs

There’s someone in the audience who is immolating himself Cutting his own leg over and over with a pen knife And groaning: “Oh God, oh God” And all I can think from up at the podium is This guy must absolutely hate these poems I am reading

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 5

11701170 views88 comments55 favs

When the cab dropped Frank at his address at seven that evening, he noticed the lights were on in Michiko’s apartment.

Even in the Same Room

868868 views66 comments44 favs

as you are, there's a big floating arm that separates both of us from each other. Widening, like a river, it touches us together often, but still keeps us drifting apart. The banks of your new life have different weeds and flowers…

John Ruskin doing a Swan Dive

12651265 views66 comments55 favs

She used her right breast. Lifted it to her chin, aimed at the can, and shoved it down as hard as she could.

The Dream Shop

11661166 views55 comments55 favs

From nine at night until five in the morningthe mannequins staff the Dream Shop.Customers sleepwalk in and murmur their enquiries.Some of the patrons are very demanding.They queue outside before opening…

An Observant Man

16281628 views66 comments55 favs

How much more attuned he was when surrounded by forest, consigning meaning to each tiny sound.

Important Questions

128128 views77 comments55 favs

I listen to my psychotherapy patients complain about their lives all day. Bitterly, hopelessly. I listen for little openings that offer possibilities for changing perspective and feeling weller. But my five minutes between each session, whether it includes a bathroom or…

Aesthetic Strategy

814814 views77 comments55 favs

it acquires a fine translucence

The Forefinger of Lenin

13791379 views1010 comments44 favs

Who puts Vaseline on the forefinger of Lenin? I want to know