Most recent stories

Tin Girl

916916 views00 comments00 favs

Like some beautiful yet macabre puppet, she was suspended on strings of wire, painstakingly threaded tubing flowing into her cavities, through her chambers, around her mechanics.

The Nurse's Dream of Flowershops

911911 views00 comments00 favs

the lazy leaves of a parlour palm finger lavender in a wine bottle.

For the Woman Who Has a Hundred

10471047 views22 comments11 fav

“What would you get? What should you give a lady who’s one hundred for her birthday?”

Text Adventure

11591159 views55 comments33 favs

Twenty-two tornadoes tore through Toronto, spiraling steel and stone to the streets where she stood, texting her best friend.

Deadly Decoy

10511051 views00 comments00 favs

‘A whole damn plane is missing and the only damn clue we have is a 9mm bullet,’ Picasso said to Victor Bravo whom he calls Torv. He’s his partner at the Picasso Investigation Agency. They questioned the guard assigned on the night of the plane

Dry Rot

14961496 views00 comments00 favs

Sometimes Seattle's the next thing to heaven. The sky's diamond blue, the sun's a caress; your whole soul can breathe. You know what the shouting's about. But the sun quickly fades to Protestant gray and the gray last a long…

Skinburn

802802 views00 comments00 favs

I wrinkled my face up in the glare and warmth of the sun. I baked easy in the hovering heat and my spot-speckled skin ate up the rays and swallowed deeply.

Smoker

807807 views33 comments11 fav

I inhale the smoke from a burning cigarette held between two stained fingers that are not mine.

The Child Who Loved Emily Dickinson

13741374 views00 comments00 favs

Until it happens to you, and I hope, and you should pray, that it never does, you cannot appreciate the consolation of believing that your are merely losing your mind.

Weld (St. Petersburg Blues)

944944 views11 comment00 favs

There's one graveyard for the part-timers and another for the full-timers. Ours is a little nicer, but we're still all going to hell. Do you remember St. Petersburg? No, you're memory's not that good.

Autumn

971971 views66 comments00 favs

Early morning cokeBottle. Did Katie callHeiddegger "Skippy"?Remember years backWhen we studied so hard andHa ha, just kidding.As you age, neverForget you are dying noFaster than before.

I'm Feeling the Monkey Around your Neck Isn't Quite Listening

27532753 views2828 comments2121 favs

The sky's hand's so big andso vast that it takes ourhuge sun at the end of day and squeezes it downto a perfect diamond--just like Supermanwith a lump of coal-- poof!--obliterates it. And it's gone.Next day it's seen floatingaround everywhere again,like an…

The Bridge

990990 views33 comments11 fav

Anna's daily train commute from the outer suburban fringes to the city reveals a message that changes her life.

Far

959959 views33 comments00 favs

His mother named him Far because she had high hopes for him

Up Front

953953 views44 comments00 favs

He almost died, but hasn’t been this much alive ever.

Three Corpse Brunch: Part One

13921392 views00 comments00 favs

From the moment they had decided to come until the present, each seated guest had been parading one faceless male possibility after another through her curious mind. Would he be strong? Handsome? Ugly? Crippled? The possibilities were endless...

The Ridgeline: Day 1

949949 views11 comment00 favs

The first burned slowly in the distance. I built a small fire to keep warm. Snow covered the area as far as the eye could see. The sun burned bright in the sky above and the mountains disappeared onto the horizon. My gear had some wear and tear from t

Blink

11231123 views44 comments22 favs

He stands straighter and walks toward the phone in the back, near the bathrooms. His wet sock slaps loudly against the tile floor. The buzz of conversation dims to whispers, barely audible above the roar of the espresso machine.

North Star

940940 views00 comments11 fav

... threads are nasty things / That snag and pull and tear the cloth / And will not let me be.

'Bout Apples

13821382 views11 comment22 favs

Sawyer walked toward the lone house with the sentinel trees. Behind him there were no tracks in the snow.

The Photo of the Bulletproof Man

13201320 views55 comments33 favs

He was corporate then, young, his wife gorgeous, the collar flipped up on his twill overcoat, a lit cigarette in one hand, the other around his wife’s waist. They stood outside. It looked chilly. She wore a hat. He looked bulletproof.

Mr. Townsend Wakes Up

823823 views11 comment00 favs

Mr. Townsend is a normal guy. He's been on auto pilot a while. When he finally snaps out of it, he's surprised at what he finds.

Rain

10651065 views00 comments00 favs

That was what I said, let's go before it starts raining again. I stand at the window, staring at the downpour outside. Since then the sun has gone down a precise one thousand four hundred and sixty one times.

Girl in 'Nam (Part 2)

925925 views00 comments00 favs

A life in NYC was one I always dreamed of but I found myself turning into a bitter, sarcastic person who was losing the ability to see the silver lining in just about anything.

Missed connections

989989 views11 comment11 fav

I lost my job but the government found me a new one. Now the government pays me to pretend I’m a travelling businessman. I fly around the country to imaginary meetings. It’s part of a project to make it look like the economy is doing well.

This Land is My Land

10991099 views00 comments00 favs

Niggers and spics, kikes and Micks (don't forget the krauts and deggos, too) live on land that belongs to you. If your skin is red, you're better off dead than deal with this sordid affair. No one told you caveat venditor, “Let the seller beware.”…

Ode To The Lord's Heavenly Men

11941194 views66 comments22 favs

Women have to suffer

Cobbler's Clinch

933933 views11 comment00 favs

“If Sir would observe, the storm welt, a shoe for the big occasion, a shoe that will guide sir through the dismal passages, a shoe that will roar in the face of adversity and …”

You Shine Brightest Under the Starlit Sky

961961 views00 comments00 favs

You shine brightest under a starlit skyThe moon reflects your beautyAs the wind sings your name sweetlyIt was under the heavens that we promised togetherThat I'll hold your hand and you'll be mine forever... You glow brightest when the sun is at its highestYour radiant…

The Wild Silence: Intro

953953 views11 comment00 favs

He huddles against the wooden beam of a chop suey stand, glaring out into the giant technological organism that was his city. Lights, hulking monstrosities and endless possibilities were teeming in the night-hustle that surrounded him.