Most recent stories

Sprouts

551551 views33 comments22 favs

I feel more like sprouts than cucumbers. Oh, hey. Icame here to tell you something you already know, butmaybe can't remember. Or maybe it's me who is rememberingsomething I meant to say, but didn't. Oh, hey. There's alfalfa and mung bean. I love those skinny little…

Voices of the Dying

682682 views2323 comments1212 favs

raging on road and page

Sure Thing

700700 views1212 comments77 favs

If you ask me I'm thinking I'm just blowing off some steam, some hot air that doesn't add up to the old cliche of a hill of beans. A hill of fucking beans.

eritis sicut deus

553553 views55 comments33 favs

—but neither Lenin’s serenity nor Voron’s could last for long!

The Perfect Crime

611611 views00 comments00 favs

I had committed the perfect crime, and I had left nothing to chance; my best strategy was chancing nothing. Prudence and planning were my only allies, and these are the best allies of success. Usually.

Walking with the Moon

787787 views1111 comments88 favs

I heard a voice. It was calling me as from a far-off cloud. I listened, holding my breath, and heard it again, though fading away, barely audible. If I hadn't known my name I wouldn't have decrypted it. Three hazy syllables clearly detached with a sigh between each of them.…

Stationed

401401 views00 comments00 favs

I

Existential Weather Report

600600 views66 comments44 favs

I had a moment of clear inter-species ideation...

Unconscious Primate Pandemic Panic

784784 views1212 comments1010 favs

I wrap my left foot

The Sweet Need to Dream

438438 views00 comments00 favs

We all ache for the Purple storm that’s said to Smear its finger in the one True place our soul resides On the road to delicate love Rising in the summer blood And the raw shadows Behind lust make a woman Heave in the Garden While lis

The Merry Go Round

656656 views88 comments55 favs

I felt that love could not be paid for or else could never be paid for enough.

Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll

473473 views44 comments44 favs

We left an oppressed island so we may die in a free country.And, oh lord, how we died!We died from affixation. We died from AIDS.We died from a heart attack. We died from a brain hemorrhage.We died from Parkinson's.We died from breast cancer.We died by suicide.We…

The Year of the Cat

332332 views22 comments22 favs

And it is pouring cats and dogs on a California afternoonoff the corner of Sunset and Highland.Droplets of sorrow drip down our foreheadas our eyelashes bash back the rain.A woman hands us free tickets to the Merv Griffin show.The bus is about to leave without us.We take…

Arrivals and Departures

636636 views1111 comments1010 favs

Because of her I got there early, and like I figured, the train was late.

Enter Ghost

602602 views44 comments33 favs

I love that moment in Hamlet when the Ghost first appears. It seems so real, thanks in large measure to Horatio's sober outlook & initial skepticism. It's really happening. Their eyes are popping out of their heads. And it makes me wonder, how would I react if I…

Collect Enough Fragments, You've Got Yourself a Poem

591591 views1414 comments1111 favs

I. The sun's corona. Empty boxes near the firehouse. Red birth. A bird's lost wing. II. The bitterness of littleness. Apples in a pile.Early love.A spider, swinging. III. A father's harshness.Twelve bills unpaid. Leaves in a crevice. A dream…

The World is Full

351351 views55 comments33 favs

of birds. The world is full of snakes. The world isfull of mushrooms. The world is full of flies. The worldis full of bombs. Not so many trees. Not as many as you might think. The world is full of flowers. Notso many bees. The world is full of rocks. Some…

our measured treads

515515 views44 comments33 favs

—and the god presiding over all / a four-faced, double-Janused clock / its equal seconds clickt away / ticking us our steps and breaths . . .

Sorting It All Out

696696 views77 comments33 favs

To understand how and when things have gone wrong, it works best to proceed from the beginning and put them in order.

The Dog

829829 views1414 comments99 favs

The dog is reading. This morning, as every morning, the book is open in front of him. Well before his master's rise, he had already read the moon then dawn and the clouds. Now the slippers, these that walk here and there. Followed by coffee and the pages that turn. A little…

The Starfish and The Pin Joint

620620 views77 comments55 favs

The two boys walked the long dock to the edge of bay,like scrappy lobsters pointing toward the waves,"The cockroaches of the sea,"his father said,It was the old country"Only prisoners were fed lobster.They stayed in the dampholes."He thought the sea ebbed and flowed like a…

Wanting to forget

500500 views33 comments22 favs

I do not want to know what it looks like when a society walks off a cliff's edge,

Map of the World to Come

499499 views22 comments11 fav

The middle finger talks of many things How I killed the moon But still drank the moonshine And how getting over her took Some bleeding from the soul Maybe it’s the Inner Face of Outer Space That worries me the most But what about the Fro

Market Day

628628 views1717 comments88 favs

I'd rather slit my wrists with a Triscuit...

Three Micros

812812 views1515 comments1313 favs

I asked the hospice nurse about maggots.

George Martian (psych eval)

564564 views55 comments33 favs

PROSPER CENTRAL SCHOOLS PSYCHOEDUCATIONAL EVALUATION CONFIDENTIAL Prosper Central…

Take You Me for a Sponge, My Lord?

564564 views1212 comments99 favs

Who does that besides Kafka, Arreola, and Steven Wright?

the rest of sleep

620620 views44 comments44 favs

peripheral dreams fall out from the head / the body squirms then burrows abed: / “have you had a good life? you now have less! / —led a hard life instead? you soon will be gone!”

whispered boat

684684 views1212 comments77 favs

word boat

The Game Show Support Network

736736 views22 comments11 fav

Those who have lost at game shows meet each week for mutual support. All is well, until they start disappearing in ways related to their ill-fated appearances as contestants.