Most read stories

The Player

16311631 views1919 comments1010 favs

He played real good But never looked At no one Strong guitar Weak knees

A Certain Boy

16311631 views66 comments66 favs

Every single girl, from junior to senior (and a few counselors too, I suspected), wanted to make out with Marty Miller. Did he know how drunk with attraction I was?

Golden State

16311631 views33 comments22 favs

The first door on the right is the bedroom. Even if I try to forget; my body remembers and the strength of its yearning fairly pulls me inside. I noticed you left the door ajar. Really you should be more careful.

Raft of Worms

16311631 views1212 comments1111 favs

I learned to love what we had: the long, bright days, the water all around us, and even their slithery bodies, which somehow never dried under the pounding sun.

More Abandoned Sentences

16311631 views2323 comments77 favs

By morning it was over. I crawled farther out onto the ledge. The three year old was screaming like Donald Duck. Trains ran into the night. Several pigs entered the open window.

The Chair

16311631 views1818 comments1717 favs

"It's time to move the chair..."

It’s Not Over Until It’s Over

16311631 views1313 comments88 favs

Heaven’s a blast! It’s like a big summer camp in space...We are the weavers of the tie-dyed sky.

Sleeping Beauty Left on Plane

16311631 views77 comments55 favs

Sleeping Beauty was left sleeping on a plane They tried to wake her but couldn’t so they locked her in for the night When she got up in the middle of the night she was completely disoriented and staggered up the aisle to the bathroom t

You Know Who in The Hell You Are Not Playing That For (We Are All Performing At Being)

16311631 views1111 comments77 favs

I've been avoidingyour beautiful fact for years in just the past few hours it seemslike it was the scariest plague on earth.Andit worries me becauseit's something so new that Idon't know what to dowith myself.Yes I wouldn't knowwhat to say…

Epithelial Sample

16311631 views99 comments55 favs

I found my black dot nucleus. School got me in the 10th year with the numbers spilling outta my head, but now I got the cell on my mind. Everybody's floating around this joint all pink and green college clean, yellow face Japanese, or the jet-headed Greeks with their…

Life as a Porno

16301630 views1515 comments1111 favs

It could as well be late night infomercials/ saturating the screen// with medieval looking exercise machines

Fort Stark, New Hampshire

16301630 views88 comments55 favs

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get where you need to be.

Cat People #9: Tales of Manhattan

16301630 views44 comments33 favs

She'd make a great catch in the rain. Because in the rain nothing moves. No cat girl of deep shade eyeliner. No saint of dark corners.

Orange Tears

16301630 views44 comments00 favs

Remember me? I am the large, dented acorn you threw at your brother, Ken, during the huge acorn war of 1969. You were thirteen. He was eleven. And the entire neighborhood was in your backyard that day. Steve, Jack, Jerry, Tom, Dan, Jeff, Drew. A bunch of the kids…

Sonnet Nought

16291629 views33 comments22 favs

Miraculous tarantulas, and octopii, have many limbs akimbo, Two have you: and they are better than be kept in zoo. Thine eyne are like the marbles that my youth had held in limbo, ‘Cept even better yet, for they are fairly lashed and greeny-blue. Your…

Why I am Afraid of Spiders

16291629 views1515 comments1111 favs

SPIDERS

Acceptance is to her a phenomenon

16291629 views1414 comments77 favs

You were given blame for action as experience by cause and effect now. If you take apart blame and even forgiveness is too rigid. She thinks of that purpose as to give men sexual destiny.

That's Grace Too

16291629 views1212 comments33 favs

I read the ending to her and it was clear to her--clear as it could only be to a woman, to a woman you're in love with--that I had been describing her.

Suicide Machines

16281628 views22 comments33 favs

["Mea Culpa" means: I don't care what you think, sorry is when I feel like making you hear me say it.]

Hot Lava Carpets

16281628 views1616 comments1414 favs

"The carpet's hot lava," my son cries, pointing at the ground from the sofa."Yeowch!" I say, leaping next to him.We sit together for a moment, silently contemplating our predicament."We need to get downstairs," I tell him. He nods, but does not move. He stares at the hot…

Hemingway for Gloria

16271627 views1616 comments88 favs

He disliked intrusion and very specifically innocuous intrusion, nice guys, one might say, who tried to be near him to learn something from him or who admired him but who, as in that passage, came merely to disturb his work.

The Color of Sound

16271627 views1010 comments88 favs

The girl put her elbows on the table and rested her chin in cupped hands and this was for comfort but she appeared symmetrical the way an etheric visitor might and the brightness was just then trying to find a way through an opening in morning dining room…

My Boogie Man

16271627 views99 comments55 favs

We'd both done well to avoid crying before today and I couldn't stand to see him like this. I crawled on my hands and knees to the closet. “David, come out of there. I…I don't like this any more than you do. But you can't come to college with me.

Plath's Plague

16271627 views1111 comments99 favs

Before my mother died, she developed an unhealthy relationship with Sylvia Plath. Under the faded florescent lights of the university they would speak to each other, as I quietly did my homework. I was only seven, but I knew something was the matter. I…

I Draw a Map

16271627 views1212 comments77 favs

I draw your location on my thighs. It takes up both legs; it’s far. I think about showing you but something comes up. The phone rings. I tell her I don’t want to donate to the PBA.

Searching for Samuel Beckett

16271627 views4242 comments1818 favs

At the Cimitiere Montparnasse he offers the girl his raincoat. I'm searching for Samuel Beckett, he says, and holds an umbrella over her as she consults her map. We're close, she says, pointing. I'll go with you. Then we can visit Simone de Beauvoir. My name is Scarlet.…

Plato's Cave

16261626 views1212 comments1111 favs

Mick Jagger and I strolled rue Gabrielle in Montmartre. Our conversation spread from apples to shellfish. We stopped for some oysters. Do you remember a time when books were venerated, I asked? I remember a time, he said, when rock and roll was a fetus in the tank of…

No More Dogs

16261626 views2121 comments1616 favs

Highway 45N cost me four dogs when I was growing up. Actually, having our backyard abut the highway was the real problem. It got to be where I was afraid to get too attached. We lost Nicky,…

Hollow

16261626 views88 comments77 favs

His mouth is a flesh cave where a grizzly slumbers and winter is the blank page of my face.

Arcana Magi - c.17: Separation

16261626 views11 comment11 fav

The Sentinels held up their weapons at the main door, preparing for a fight. Lori saw the look on the girl’s eyes, something she felt she should not see in them.