Most discussed stories

Fernando

927927 views22 comments22 favs

“It's not him,” Kelly says. “I think it might be,” says her Mom. The three of us are sitting on the long sofa facing the wall which is one …

Apocalypse Haiku

670670 views22 comments11 fav

Burying the dead

End of Wendell

839839 views22 comments22 favs

...though in reality it is a dirty white with brown splotches now appears to him as a fluorescent green garden snake.

Silent Night

10421042 views22 comments22 favs

The church of the self.

Father's Day

12001200 views22 comments22 favs

“What the hell, bitch?” The words rolled out of my aching jaw. I twisted my legs around, kicking Lila out of the bed. She screamed, crashing to the floor. All I heard was barking. I threw a pillow at her.

Global Arms - 2

10431043 views22 comments33 favs

While serving in government, she plotted to change it.

Breaking Eyes

12141214 views22 comments11 fav

-No, just drugged, I remind myself. The hallucinations are more real, more accurate than before. While the dreams get more nightmarish, the hallucinations get more nostalgic. I prefer the nightmares. No one knows if this treatment will work, but what bett

They Didn't Love Their Daughter.

596596 views22 comments11 fav

“But he's going to the University of Chicago!” “I know.” …

The Red-Blooded Boys' Guide to Fashion Week

565565 views22 comments00 favs

When I was growing up–I know that begs the question–if I wasn’t gigging frogs or shooting marbles I used to wile away my idle hours by hanging out at my dad’s women’s clothing store.

Trajectory

975975 views22 comments11 fav

Soon the world is on film that is burning.

My Third First Novel

11711171 views22 comments33 favs

One of the publishing industry’s dirty little secrets is that first novels sell much better than second novels. So why not enhance your chances for success by calling your second novel your first?

Lines in Contemplation of a Tragic Accident

756756 views22 comments22 favs

There’s Julie-she’s the cineaste– Au courant woman with a past.

Extraterrestrial Bingo

550550 views22 comments22 favs

Let me tell you about extraterrestrial bingo: it's loud. They put the speakers over my head. And the microphone keeps moving. Most of the organisms here are old. And from another planet. I see a lot of tentacles. A lot of auras and bugeyes. Everyone seems to know the…

This Life

727727 views22 comments00 favs

Me and the wife are tucked away in our little house.

The Lies You Tell Yourself

810810 views22 comments00 favs

I am skinniest in the morning. My belly forgets the previous day’s sins, and I wake up looking taut like a model. Then it starts.

Regret

14491449 views22 comments22 favs

“Pupilo Durcál!” She yelled. “You stupid pendejo!” He limped along without another glance. Rosa suddenly realized her dreams all week were really omens.

Ready

881881 views22 comments11 fav

Kudzu obscures the gate where jasmine bloomed last summer.

Reciting Paul’s First Epistle to the Corinthians Aloud Word for Word to Distract Myself From a Panic Attack

968968 views22 comments33 favs

I hold dreams made of iron / that tip my spear of regret—

June Cleaver Faces the Implications of the Integrated Circuit

944944 views22 comments22 favs

The Cleavers were never really undone by anything. Everyone, however, has a limit. June manages it all, as usual, with her characteristic grace, lovely crinoline - and a bit of manipulation.

Where is His Grave

468468 views22 comments11 fav

She took a desolate road as the wind blew.

Building Houses Out of Words

10451045 views22 comments11 fav

I remember sitting there on the first unfinished rooftop, watching you building houses out of words. You hammered in grammar and punctuation; you said these things needed to be hammered in by hand. You drove the long straight exclamation …

The Edge of the World

11301130 views22 comments11 fav

I am far from home, wherever that is.

Spiritual Awareness

679679 views22 comments11 fav

Amir was a ghost, and he was terrible at it. No one had taught him how to be a ghost. There was no orientation, no welcome packet, no handbook. Ghosts started in limbo with only a name, and nothing else.

Convenience

974974 views22 comments00 favs

I drove all night, but there weren’t nothing Roy Orbison about it. I’d been driving and around lunchtime I just thought I might stop by Shona’s place.

He Don't Know Him

22982298 views22 comments22 favs

Planned developments have garages in the back, hasty retreat and advance protected by the Genie Automatic, come and go and go and come, waving is optional.

The Game

13511351 views22 comments11 fav

Cammie Richard's house was just like all the others in Wilchester. The exterior was vaguely reminiscent of the Dutch style; gray stone with cross beams of dark wood, with two stories and a bay window. Her yard was fertilizer green, with a giant STRATFORD FOOTBALL…

February 1975 Lansing, MICHIGAN

13031303 views22 comments11 fav

Ripper the dog died after eating a Quarter which had lodged in Ripper's throat choking her to death. Steve Latino buried her in the backyard the next morning. He felt nothing…

What Do You Mean, You Don't Sell Pigs Feet?

12311231 views22 comments11 fav

“Excuse me–where are the pig’s feet?”

Barnegat Bay

935935 views22 comments22 favs

I whispered, “I love you” and then, “Goodbye”

Chest Bump Bass Detroit

934934 views22 comments11 fav

son a superfly/alligator shoe clad/networking man/working a beeper and flip phone/twisting blueberry spliffs/on ma's porch