Most discussed stories

is it a visible, or invisible thread?

717717 views33 comments00 favs

In another dream I am you and I am giving birth and the pages you have written are flying out of me one after another and appearing like speckled moths near the ceiling of your bedroom, and they have my eyes and some of them have yours. A soft singi

Dick Be Gone

13491349 views33 comments22 favs

One thing about being a musician—more specifically a drummer—struggling against the cost of living—more specifically the cost of living in the Bay Area—is that I will do just about anything to earn money.

Puppet ABC - 1

782782 views33 comments33 favs

I am not a Road Scholar, ladies & gentlemen, though I’ve been On the Road more than once. Do not mistake me for a bum. I am not a hobo, homeless or otherwise, in this life or any other, I am not a bum, I insist. But I d

Postcard

13041304 views33 comments11 fav

"Special delivery for a friend?" he asked. "Postcards are a wonderful thing. All people want to do nowadays is send e-mails. But what's better than putting a postcard on the fridge?"

In the Film Room With the Big Guy Upstairs

693693 views33 comments11 fav

It was a stupid thing, but one I'd gotten away with before. My bagel was stuck in the toaster, and I probed a knife down into the slot without unplugging the appliance. BAP!—sparks and smoke, and before I knew it, I was dead.

Sonnet Nought

16101610 views33 comments22 favs

Miraculous tarantulas, and octopii, have many limbs akimbo, Two have you: and they are better than be kept in zoo. Thine eyne are like the marbles that my youth had held in limbo, ‘Cept even better yet, for they are fairly lashed and greeny-blue. Your…

First Lesson (Mother Tongue Series)

944944 views33 comments11 fav

I used to see kids at the mall with those extendable "kid leashes". Like the ones made for chihuahuas. Like the ones made to squash a good story, you know...

Death's Noisy Herald

20922092 views33 comments11 fav

Lying there, with the terrible screech emanating from his chest, blaring from his open mouth, he thinks about jet planes and jack hammers and nuclear explosions. He doesn't have quiet thoughts.

Something about that boy

905905 views33 comments00 favs

There was something about the boy that made me uneasy. Maybe it was the reverse widow's peak on his forehead or the way he wiped away his snot with the back of his hand. It could have been his red flannel shirt that reminded me of the hillbillies from the mountain…

Howie Mandel

11581158 views33 comments22 favs

We love the sparkling, speckless, spotless, spic-n-span, sanitary.

Circles

284284 views33 comments22 favs

IA promised land so tiny, one that rests upon a pin, knows only death as theory, knows only sleep as sin. Disregard the deluge of that which never is, is the nothing that is hers the nothing that is his? Let us go to Venus, pretend that it is …

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 13

924924 views33 comments22 favs

Tuesday morning while Frank was in Dr. Jawarski’s office, Michiko was sitting in the waiting room of a gynecologist’s office.

Intake

265265 views33 comments11 fav

.

The Rite and Wrong of Passage

10101010 views33 comments00 favs

My sadistic doctor was the only one laughing . Yes sir, I was officially, cordially, confirmed to meet that Irish/ Russian fellow…Colon Oscopy.

Crisp and New

859859 views33 comments11 fav

He told me it isn’t my fault. That my brain isn’t slowly and deliberately killing itself, not barbarically stripping away its own wiring to expose razor bursts of electricity.

Based on Origins (Mother Tongue)

12271227 views33 comments11 fav

I almost forgot. Her nipples taste like that syrup from a can of peaches. The kind you aren’t supposed to eat if you are 18 or older. The kind that adds baggage to the hips and I’m certainly not about to take out an insurance policy on my ass.

The Silver T to the West Side Highway

11961196 views33 comments22 favs

They watched the seven o'clock news.

Summer Party Advice, From Father to Son

792792 views33 comments11 fav

“Madras shorts with those candy-ass Brooks Brothers shirts? If you wear stripes with plaids, you’ll look like a TV test pattern.”

Charlotte and the Avalanche of Hope

12491249 views33 comments22 favs

”My goodness how that child nurses hope,” Edward’s Grandad would often say, “were it not for her where indeed would this family be?”

Long Island Roulette

11781178 views33 comments11 fav

We sat quietly in my truck. My lit cigarette twitched between my lips. Samantha and I stared at the front door of Planned Parenthood in Worcester.

Happiness

943943 views33 comments22 favs

Sometimes the universe is a coin flipping so fast it’s hard to see which side is polished and shiny.

When The Sun Goes Down

943943 views33 comments11 fav

Though his heart aches his melody seems to flow It creeps into the dreams of all in slumber in the valley below

The Squirrel that Ate Cincinnati

863863 views33 comments22 favs

The drug that brought me here is orange and opposable as a thumb. Therefore, send me a dollar and I will swim in your beautiful gaze like a new experience. We can be caviar together and create metaphors for the stars.

Ode to Larry Darrell

890890 views33 comments22 favs

Out of the Woods

952952 views33 comments33 favs

No, your clever costume won’t protect you.

A Song To Lose Your Shoes To

899899 views33 comments00 favs

You’ve got me standin’ on my knees, A’searchin’ for a beggar’s alms, From folks who’re deaf to all my pleas And blind to open palms.

Writer's Block? Get Nacreous!

818818 views33 comments11 fav

If you have writer’s block, it may be because your childhood wasn’t unhappy enough, but there’s nothing you can do about that now, is there?

Brothers of the Sacred Circle: A Prayer to Ares

12301230 views33 comments11 fav

When our body falters, deny us rest. When our minds crack under the strain, forbid us sanity. When we are too tired to fight give us war.

Splitting

888888 views33 comments11 fav

Crunching gravel beneath my feet, the sound of approaching death.

Acapella

280280 views33 comments11 fav

What time is it exactly? A time no one should know? A time of unrequited beauty? A time when gods must go to some level of subsidence? A parabola long unseen? Some point bereft of distance? A cosmic mezzanine? A…