Most discussed stories

Armless Wonder

16251625 views55 comments33 favs

For the woman with no arms, life is a constant dexterity demonstration

Mercury

10731073 views55 comments22 favs

At 11 pm, it is 87 degrees and I sit in front of the air conditioner, eating oatmeal. The oats aren't soft enough, but it is sugary and fills me. Outside, the city hovers at the edge of a brown out, people sweating hopelessly inside small boxes. In Utah, it was cold…

Xmas Letter 2015

10241024 views55 comments55 favs

Another year has flown, crashed to the ground, and convulsed to its death in a final match with the meaninglessness of existence. Decided to try my luck as a Walmart greeter this year but the apomorphine treatment made me break out in hives and I reacted…

The First Time

11721172 views55 comments22 favs

Do you remember who I am yet? I remember the first time you made love to me. It appears I was one of the lucky ones … it wasn’t in a car, it wasn’t in your Dad’s boat, underwater, or any other weird place you've written about. It was actual

Walking In My Big Black Boots

17271727 views55 comments22 favs

"People do that. They cross the road when they aren’t supposed to and get away with it. They do it all the time. Only, then, he might think I was a rebel and I’d rather he imagine me a square. A square who never was a wild thing. A rebel who chose to be t

Abstraction Is the Background of Reality

881881 views55 comments55 favs

Written in big letters Across the back window Of an old Pontiac:

Beauty

988988 views55 comments33 favs

She worked the research desk. Like most ladies before computers and cell-phones she lead a quiet conservative life. She wore dresses, spent time with family and friends...Emma also had been stricken as a child

Exhibit B

947947 views55 comments22 favs

My sweet granny was like Exhibit A that I was adopted. I mean, how can anyone be sure?

People Called Our Windows Art

12831283 views55 comments88 favs

Mama hung them everywhere. It started with just a few, in our apartment and outside on the brick. She made walls into windows.

The Tomb

780780 views55 comments33 favs

His spoken words had reavealed nothing, but the far-off look in his eyes had told me good-bye.

Darryl, The Biography

983983 views55 comments55 favs

"I was born very far from where I'm supposed to be. And so I'm on my way home."--Bob Dylan I don't owe you anything. If I'm a recluse what does it have to do with you? I have the right to be poor. Some things cannot be explained away by letters that…

Things an Old Person Would Say

931931 views55 comments55 favs

Obituaries aren’t as much fun as they used to be.

The Road a Scripture

562562 views55 comments55 favs

Granny says Jesus works quiet and curious but mama leaving with the UPS man weren’t no great mystery.

After Eliot

10911091 views55 comments22 favs

Her breath was on me

Just One Sentence

12471247 views55 comments11 fav

Blinking, Eleanor frowned at the words she’d uttered. They were absurd… foolish. Unequivocally unscientific, but beautiful nonetheless. The notion of the sunless hours embodied as a clumsy artist struck the student as interesting.

Billing Notice

994994 views55 comments55 favs

Due to recent enhancements to our billing system, the rate per unit for your basic service can no longer be determined.

Our Top Hats Blow Off While Yours Gets Tipped

825825 views55 comments66 favs

Our world is a prism floating through its own rainbow smeared shadows in a desperate attempt to get caught. Our lives are in the carpets, the planks, the winds. Whatever has heard us, has not believed in us enough to rescue us from our own …

Star-eater; a poem

366366 views55 comments44 favs

Star-eaterHere lies the star-eater.Tilting on the ancient wheelof summer-glaze-breath,you speak the oceans. Fire's the mealfor you, the star-eater. You defy death,and out of your mouth, a universe openspouring forth, as fleet as the starslight on your tongue. Space…

Double Helix

994994 views55 comments55 favs

Violence and property

Necessary Heat

12721272 views55 comments22 favs

What is writing, Rick B.? You appear in your photo to be more handsome than your first brother. Sudden memory appears: "Question mark? Curvy: cock. Exclamation! Stiff: prick."

Toad On Fire

10901090 views55 comments22 favs

“I would like to keep my head, at least for a few more nights. Didn't you say we were gonna have sex one of these days? Isn't that in the manual?”

Ballad of a Traffic Light

10991099 views55 comments55 favs

I am a buttress against chaos. And now I am turning yellow.

Potentially Naked Waitress

14101410 views55 comments44 favs

just wondering what one does when age and job skills narrow one's career options

All About the Guns

10291029 views55 comments44 favs

Been looking for guns. His guns have turned up missing. He’s been looking for the guns. Looking for guns. The au-pair must’ve snuck back in And took the guns. And the baby. The baby must be crawling off with Guns again.

ARE YOU: An ode to overthinking brought on by having too much time to think. To be recited in your best Julie Andrews voice.

509509 views55 comments33 favs

Are you interesting?Are you clever?Are you, maybe often, sometimes never?Are you shining? Pining?Are you glowing?Are you worth knowing?Are you a life without zest?Are you mainlining strife …

Postman

11741174 views55 comments00 favs

About 10 years ago is when it started. I was 14, sitting at Pop's knee, listening to his stories, and Mom came in crying. She could hardly get words out. I think that day was the last time I felt the sun.

Black Mariah

11391139 views55 comments44 favs

The war they wage fills everything with holes.

Little Box of Courage

860860 views55 comments22 favs

Something I loathe even more than children are Floridian Drivers. It's not even because of their horrid driving capabilities, but more so because of their attitudes. Within the confines of their comfy little car, they are able to build up the…

This Outhouse Reeks

941941 views55 comments22 favs

The bathroom had exposed rusty pipework, A minty lemonade smell, Ice in the urinal, And a wall of stone-cold mirror. She put some lipstick on, but it looked fake under the lint-covered bulb dangling overhead. She wiped off the lipstick but…

from Presence

11651165 views55 comments44 favs

facts are facets are / things in the act // the truth speaks softly // as time saying amber / to the enduring sap // words come and go / like leaves like men // we the tree remain ...