Most discussed stories

The Way Back Home

11891189 views99 comments77 favs

500 miles all the way from Omaha nine hours on the back of a flatbed truck

A Night in the Trailer of the Headlining Band

975975 views99 comments55 favs

.

SOME NIGHTS

13121312 views99 comments66 favs

Some nights you really feel it.

Fever

14971497 views99 comments33 favs

Mesmerizing, the night’s queer colors, the darkness given depth by the earth’s crystalline sheen, by a sky choked with a million fleeting prisms. In the woods surrounding the house another branch snapped, a gunshot loud crack. The echo lingered, cap

Jesus Wept

32713271 views99 comments88 favs

When my husband died, I was in bed with his brother. Ricky and I had been married six years, three months and two days when his little brother, Ben, and I gave in to the lust that just would not go away in spite of our prayers and tears.

It'll Be Okay/revised version

839839 views99 comments77 favs

It's not that there's nothing new, it's all new. That blue color is not the one you remember, but the one you are experiencing, and at the same time, you bring everything you are, crushing into dust, with you. Green…

No Prada, No Burberry, No Gaston Lauvert

875875 views99 comments77 favs

Although it was unlikely that she would witness mobsters racing up or down Wabash Avenue with guns ablast, she paced behind the hotel's ground-floor glass eyeing traffic for fifteen or twenty minutes . . .

Introduction and Apology Written Against the End of Time

10631063 views99 comments88 favs

They articulate my failings as a human being./ They articulate my greater rage at human beings// here for such a short time and at the precipice already

El Desdichado by Nerval

12941294 views99 comments77 favs

Give me back my / singularity, my tristesse, my photo ID.

version

10951095 views99 comments66 favs

THIS is what happened — the dead went into remission. Dated may 10 2010. Or it could have been some other day. They were going to be restored later. That's what we were being told. The dead were being given stones to mark their remission. They were getting…

Wading

561561 views99 comments66 favs

Through feeling her life story, I understood mine, more,

The Right Thing

21732173 views99 comments1111 favs

His feet are the size of thumbs, the segments of his toes no larger than grains of rice.

Meanings

13041304 views99 comments77 favs

Most things come down to carnality, it seems, and dreams are no exception – or that’s how the teller of dreams told it to me.

Horizon

10711071 views99 comments22 favs

She liked talking to him, even now, when they’d spent three years talking. She thought about other conversations with other men at other bars, some of the bars on the water and some of them tucked behind shopping centers or off of different h

too pissy for poetry

15931593 views99 comments99 favs

feeling obligated to write/ is like feeling/ obligated to fuck.

Actual Reality

13851385 views99 comments88 favs

Travel into the beautiful swirling being you occupy whenever you get the chance. It's your right to seek the name of the most holy one in your deepest awakening. Then will you most likely find fellow travelers splashing about in their naked auras in…

Birds Fly(a chapbook of seven+ poems)

15051505 views99 comments88 favs

Birds FlySeven Poemsby Darryl Pricefor Charlotte and Mel, as always"We should insist on joy in spite of everything."--Tom Robbins“I don't need your love. I don't need you to understand. I just need you to listen.”—Perfume Genius1. I Want to Sing to…

Thanksgiving

11731173 views99 comments88 favs

When our kids were very young, my wife and I believed it was important to give our children traditions that they could grow up with. One such tradition that we shared each Thanksgiving was to walk down by the cliffs along the ocean. We'd all go, our kids…

El Dia de los Muertos

834834 views99 comments1111 favs

"The path back to the living must not be made slippery by tears." (Mexican proverb)Marigolds blaze yellow under Oaxacan sun.Their slender necks stretch above fern foliage.Stars of this late October hillside, they drapetheir riches over the edges of terra cottalike…

Urgent, breathers: Pee before reading this novel!

13221322 views99 comments44 favs

A jollier zombie you shall never find. You must trust me on this!

Life Story

13971397 views99 comments77 favs

A man lives with a woman he loves enough to live with, but not enough to marry and not enough for kids. He knows he could love others enough to marry, enough for kids, but he's not the kind of man to find those women when he's with this woman.Sometimes “love”…

Ten Minutes in the Life of Franziska Kafka

17271727 views99 comments88 favs

bullet points about her soul

Leftovers

10641064 views99 comments1010 favs

That evening she sat on sofa and sniffled and twisted her handkerchief with her fingers. I decided it wasn't the right time to show her the picture....

Exhale

10531053 views99 comments88 favs

It's as if the house knew I was relinquishing my hold on it.

Nearly Lost

11661166 views99 comments55 favs

My body feels chilly but it's not from the outside temps. It seems to me it's the opposite of a fever.

Behind the Ear

974974 views99 comments77 favs

She grew tired of waiting for her husband to give her a flower so she picked one for herself.

far outside

724724 views99 comments55 favs

I'm staying in swinging all night Hell not just all night but every night I can possibly sink my teeth into

5 Narratives From The Field Museum (Naturally)

12101210 views99 comments33 favs

5 Narratives From The Field Museum (Naturally) 1. The American wife asked her French husband why it took him 50 words to ask which pass they would need. He said, “Because it does,” and they argued more, each in their own words. 2. The child…

One-Way Ticket

45634563 views99 comments1515 favs

Margaret and I are going to Chicago. Everything we do this morning feels final, as if we are doing it for the last time, which is probably true.

Peach

16981698 views99 comments33 favs

She's standing outside the 7-11, skirt up round her ass. Ripe. She could be a whore but she looks way too classy. Plus she has a huge soda - I'd guess diet - and a Twinkie.