Most recent stories

Beard-Men

12231223 views88 comments33 favs

Sometimes they bleat like sheep when I shave in the shower. They live in a complex social order.

The Hitler Channel

956956 views77 comments11 fav

The sound of a siren approaches his home. His wife asks him why he's so nervous. It's nothing, he says, but he rises from the couch and peers into the night from behind the curtains. The siren approaches relentlessly. The road twists and turns and the sound fades but always…

The Sun, the Trees, the Clouds, the Grass

845845 views33 comments33 favs

The sun was a dish of burnished courage

The Bridge

12541254 views22 comments11 fav

The Bridge Barstow had not wanted to listen to Griff. Griff was not making the right decisions, or he thought Griff was not making the right decisions. Thought he was walking a…

loose threads

10411041 views44 comments22 favs

Blankets were always her undoing.

Classic

872872 views55 comments11 fav

"I love you.”“Night.”Back at the screen door she answers “What?” I stand under her nose and say “Box is out of juice.” Inside she sits me on the black and white polka-dotted sofa we make love around here and there.…

Myra's Mother

12331233 views55 comments33 favs

Smoking is like hooking up with an ex-girlfriend: you know she's bad for you and that it won't work out, but it feels so familiar and comfortable and so easy to slide back into.

Sports day at the School for Clowns

13391339 views1313 comments55 favs

The javelin was cancelled after the unfortunate incident with Mrs Parker last year, but no one could have predicted this year’s sack race tragedy.

Heaven On the Floor

10081008 views22 comments11 fav

In the blur she met Joseph. Joseph was the priest who lived in the attic of the church. She met him after she grew boobs and thighs that moved like dragonflies soaring above ponds.

My Wife's Dream

954954 views88 comments11 fav

He was a Jack Russell terrier hanging like a baby in a carrier strapped to my chest He had all four legs wrapped around me and was licking me with his long tongue I asked him what his name was, and in a real low voice he said Min

Postcard

12991299 views33 comments11 fav

"Special delivery for a friend?" he asked. "Postcards are a wonderful thing. All people want to do nowadays is send e-mails. But what's better than putting a postcard on the fridge?"

Letters from the Asylum (1)

16891689 views66 comments11 fav

I'll be honest, and tell you that I am in a bad way. The weather is very hot up here, extremely so, almost hellish.

Lost and Found

808808 views11 comment00 favs

Adrienne found her calling in Africa feeding poor children or whatever the fuck you do when you're in the Peace Corps.

In the Seoul Metro

958958 views33 comments11 fav

I’ve seen your tired souls riding under the city lost in the drowsiness of morning calm commutes.

Alex and Dee Dee

875875 views22 comments00 favs

I was going to write a love poemabout a man named Alex and agirl named Dee Dee, but I couldn'tremember them as well as I wanted. I knew about the time she painted theirnames on the overpassbut I have forgottenthings about them. I don't know what became of…

we're all in there somewhere

10901090 views44 comments44 favs

We ask was that me? The one on the corner with his hat tipped to the jaunty side? I've wore hats, I've stood on corners. Am I not jaunty?

Myra

11361136 views66 comments55 favs

When I got to Pete's house he was sitting on the curb smoking a cigarette, bruised and dirty, with a smoking pile of rubble behind him where his house used to be. I hadn't heard yet, but his ol' girl left him and blew up the house when she left.

Perversion

12071207 views77 comments55 favs

“It’s a sad thing,” I said, “when a man has to suffer just for getting a little on the side.”

Into the Wild Blue Yonder

17931793 views2222 comments1212 favs

Then it got quiet again, the kind of quiet that fills a car even with the radio on and the highway ticking away and the corn flying past regimented and silk tasseled.

Black BoBbY BuRiED

991991 views44 comments22 favs

Bobby turned black yesterday. Not like his ethnicity, or skin color. But his soul. Not his soul. Not black either. But a violet desecrating blue. That kind of blue that use to sit in the ocean, then dried up, and vanished into a big terrifying stupor. He looked at me with…

World Trade Center

952952 views66 comments11 fav

I can feel the souls of those who perished here They’re still here like old kites hanging in the sky tattered, but they won’t come down or can’t come down just yet because they haven’t fulfilled their unborn promises t

My Commencement Speech

915915 views11 comment11 fav

To The Graduates Of The Class Of 2010: You are here today at a critical crossroads of your life. For most of your 22 years you’ve been taught to work hard, obey the rules, listen with respect to your elders and to trust that every effort you make wil

Raymond Chandler and His Wife

10701070 views77 comments55 favs

One day it was boring / to be alive.

Sorry, Charlie

10291029 views22 comments11 fav

Vietnam, Tet, and beaucoup Charlie

Deer People

990990 views55 comments11 fav

There was no provision for keeping the post on the door, but I did not have the fingernails to pry it off.

Arcana Magi - c.18: Me?

14441444 views00 comments00 favs

Alysia slowed down for a moment. She clutched her head again. She looked up and found herself at a playground. There was a familiarity in the air.

Some Things You Never Forget

10831083 views00 comments00 favs

Some things you never forget, especially if they are repeated frequently. I cannot hear her voice saying those words, now, I have forgotten its timber, its pitch, but I remember the words.

Not real words about a not real place

950950 views11 comment00 favs

I'm going up and down elevators all over the Financial District and I have no office.

Hotel Chelsea

24252425 views1111 comments66 favs

He tells people about the whores, but what he really recalls is when someone from a room above dropped a rug on his patio.

Refuge

11841184 views66 comments22 favs

cotton balls in your ears do not deafen you to the rocking of your mother's bed...as she and the new uncle set forth on the turbulent sea of their maiden voyage.