Most recent stories

Let's Be Frank

569569 views11 comment11 fav

Guilt is a full-time job Without benefits No vacations No coffee breaks No free lunch No maternity leave No paternity leave All you get is the ability to be Paralyzed with guilt You will freeze in the night Without a blanket Becaus

Huevos

7474 views11 comment11 fav

I took this workshop once. A Life Fulfillment Seminar provided by J___ Mutual Funds. That was the kind of thing the guy talked about: Motivational Factors putting you Over the Top.

Song Against Unwarranted Cheer

959959 views77 comments22 favs

If I should stumble into cheerfulness/ remind me of all the business models

Departures

959959 views55 comments22 favs

Fingers scrabble idly at pocket seams, forage between teeth, grasp for tepid cups, patter a drumbeat on knees.

Tired After Looking for my Voice Recorder for an Hour

597597 views00 comments00 favs

I wrote a million lines of poetry last night. / Metaphor after metaphor of your beauty

Novelas (interstice from Black Swans)

907907 views00 comments00 favs

Insterstice: Novelas Four Sonnets Since …

Robert Penn Warren and Orange County Blue

13441344 views88 comments55 favs

We were old. Wind came in with small threats and played games with drapes. A print of orchids and some other green affair that looked to me like kiwis. Sadie was arranging some items on a desk and I noticed there was a cricket on the window. I was thinking…

Never Sacrifice Yourself

745745 views33 comments22 favs

No matter how many times flies land on butter they will never become butterflies

Cuteness vs. Astuteness

569569 views00 comments00 favs

There’s no greater reward than the plaudients you get from a tough female audience.

Night Raid

731731 views22 comments00 favs

The president snapped awake at three AM. He realized he was a serial killer. Highly trained and equipped killers on his orders were summarily murdering thousands of raggedly dressed people in the name of Democracy.

Year of the Microbes

128128 views1212 comments77 favs

...

Tiger Milk (Part 4--the last act.)

10941094 views22 comments11 fav

"In the grave my lips will still be moving."

You're Breathing My Relapse

10111011 views11 comment22 favs

I was an alcoholic for ten years, starting in my early twenties and continuing into my thirties. Then finally, after many attempts, I got myself straightened out. My son's birth finally did it for me. It wasn't like a switch flipped in the delivery room…

We the Wild Men

844844 views00 comments22 favs

There's a whole pack of us, men minted from hot brass and thumbtacks. Too tough for sensibility's sake.

Zero

958958 views77 comments77 favs

The arithmetic of human experience/ is always a losing game for some. Poor Jane. Rich Dick.

Mark Twain's Typewriter

893893 views22 comments11 fav

Did I refer to Mark Twain’s typewriter as an animal? Did I call it a hyena? I would not say that about Mark Twain’s typewriter.

Waiting, Waiting

935935 views55 comments55 favs

The fear you represent is a real drag. That's all there is to say. But like every other house on the block I have spiders in the basement who are waiting to be brought up into the golden light. These creatures only want to be good at being alive. Instead they are given…

Visions of Granada (Double Sestina)

10791079 views00 comments00 favs

Double SestinaOn the surrender of the Alhambra to the Christian Spaniards, while on the losing side of territorial disputes, by the speaker, the Moorish king Boabdil: and the subsequent exile of the Moors, who brought geometry, astronomy, architectural…

Can't Sleep But Very Tired

843843 views22 comments11 fav

I repeated your name like a mantra / and vomited black bile in the sink. / Some Buddhist monk told me / if I recite it ten thousand times / you will be mine.

Empty or Too Full?

146146 views1616 comments77 favs

...

The Nature of Things

875875 views44 comments33 favs

She couldn't see what was actually there—the landscaping. All she could see were dollar signs, thousands of them suspended in mid-air, floating over each new plant, each well-placed sprinkler head, every curve of terraced orderliness on the hillside. She…

It's A Different World When You Walk With A Cane

15451545 views1010 comments77 favs

People do want to be kind. It's just that sometimes they need a little push (or, in a few cases, a big fat shove) in the right direction.

Derivative

13991399 views1919 comments1313 favs

It’s not the money. The money’s/ just a way of keeping score.

Feminist Gift-Shopping is Man's Work

580580 views00 comments00 favs

“Hey Jimmy,” we’d shout at the bartender, whose real name was Bill, but who acquired his nomme de biere with the fixtures when he bought the joint. “What?” he’d reply in monosyllables in order to keep his overhead down. “What does a woman want?”

The Tragically Short Life of the American Barfly

836836 views00 comments00 favs

That is then and the devil reigns in the here and now. Tonight I am the barfly and tomorrow I die.

The Basement of Desire

15971597 views2626 comments1818 favs

sooner or later you realize

Pen and Ink on Paper

12481248 views2121 comments88 favs

...ancient answers for new questions.

Erased

12941294 views66 comments33 favs

You took up residence on the dark side of things, a bolthole in a wind-flayed right angle of a tower block where pigeons and suicides tumbled blackly on the air currents. You set about drifting off from who you were on a tide of cheap whisky and bad poetry, graduating…

Jukebox Genesis

817817 views22 comments11 fav

Once something starts, there is no telling where it will go.

WikiGreen (a semi-found poem)

982982 views11 comment11 fav

Green is the color of emeralds, jade, and growing grass. In the continuum of colors of visible light it is located between yellow and blue. Green is the color mostShades of green desireIn the Category: Shades of green Green politics meet…