Most recent stories

A Tangled Web of Likes

539539 views22 comments00 favs

Liking up with the Joneses...

We didn’t read the news

750750 views55 comments44 favs

I was at my usual booth, half a cold cappuccino in front of me, my daughter crawling over my lapin an attempt to crayon the paper I was reading.The man at the table across the floor looked like the prison warden…

Things You Probably Should Know About New York City

760760 views99 comments77 favs

It is a misdemeanor to fart in NYC churches. In 1857, toilet paper was invented by a man living in NYC. No one knows how long it took for the idea to fan out from there. God only knows why it took so long, or why NYC was at the epicenter of it all

The Collector Of Twilights

468468 views33 comments33 favs

I like to collect twilights. I fold them carefully and put them in my wallet. They fit neatly between the dollar bills that have a weird tendency to curl. This bugs me. I don't know why they do that. Something to do with the design of the wallet. But the twilights fit…

durations of flamenco

528528 views77 comments55 favs

thus is life conjured with music: human life / with human music human souls human earth, / hot souls the cherished fruit of the hot earth beneath.

The Road a Scripture

518518 views55 comments55 favs

Granny says Jesus works quiet and curious but mama leaving with the UPS man weren’t no great mystery.

Tundra

591591 views77 comments55 favs

All the lights of Rekyjavik...

An after-image, a ghost

410410 views33 comments22 favs

It was also witnessing the emergence into explicitness and clarity of everyone's expendability.

The Mud Slicks at Low Tide

555555 views77 comments44 favs

The mud slicks at low tide were a mood.Thick gobs that smelled of fish, sulfur and claysalt and wild seaweed like fungusmoldy like left out fruityet it drew her closerto the shorelinecloser to feelingit between her toesthick, squirtsas her feet liftedlike a suction cupand…

Missing Bananas

484484 views55 comments55 favs

He's no fruit lover.

Remaking Your Dreams Come True

617617 views55 comments22 favs

Reincarnation. Not a bad deal, especially for cows. For the rest of us, it is like being in a witness protection program. And all without the risk of having those against whom you bore witness coming after you. Usually.

Stone Soup

600600 views88 comments66 favs

When I asked her about her husband, she laughed.

end of january

533533 views66 comments33 favs

c'mon honey let's go get stoned the night is falling where did you say we were going?

God, the Father

550550 views66 comments55 favs

I was right to fear the God of my father He is a monster.

I Think You Know That

594594 views44 comments33 favs

you've swallowed a whale bone and not a whole chicken. It's not about being surrounded by very nice stuff. We always thought there was much, much more than haunted walls inside cold castles. People connect the dots like collecting stamps. Things get…

Hygga

529529 views22 comments22 favs

Hygga was on the French news tonight. Hygga is big in France. And Scandinavia, of course. I'd never heard of it. Hygga comes from a Danish word meaning “to give courage, comfort, joy.” It stems from hyggia, which means to think in Old Norse, and is related to…

A Journal of the Plague Year: Day 289: Valedictory for a Clown

569569 views1414 comments66 favs

the end of this journal

Wrong Number

441441 views33 comments11 fav

He tilted his head at his monitor and exhaled “No.” Minutes later, he tilted his head the other way and more sharply exclaimed “No!” Then he began over the next quarter hour simply to stare at the data stream before him, which left him speechless.

Clocks

548548 views66 comments66 favs

His hands are old But still function As hands

Short Blonde, Long Red

442442 views22 comments22 favs

Natalie blushed the vodka with an almost pointless twist of the fruit juice as I fought in my inside jacket pocket for my wallet...

jewels

683683 views1919 comments99 favs

it is said to make your manliness last forever

Art and Artifacts

439439 views44 comments33 favs

In the morning after a cup of black coffee, she decided she was hungry and opted for the leftover egg roll and dumplings from the previous night. She looks for the chopsticks sticking out with the rest of the utensils and picks up the last of the dumplings and places it…

Sisyphus takes the day off

600600 views55 comments55 favs

what-ta-hell, fuck this he snorts brushing the dust from his shoulders

More About Nils Whose Real Name is Georges

952952 views1414 comments1010 favs

I think he viewed Communion as an act of hygiene that allowed him to go on being fiery and self-determined.

No More Ideas

578578 views22 comments11 fav

And then, one fateful day, the world ran out of ideas. The last one was gone, floating away like a balloon full of the helium we had already squandered.

The TV

541541 views66 comments00 favs

The absence sits on the window sillIt looks like the tree growing in front of itlimbs long and crookedwretched clocktime passes like torn silkShe sits at the mirror looking past thingsHer TV blasts the newsconfront the questionCovid -19 The vaccinationTrump is…

Observed

400400 views11 comment11 fav

I sensed someone approaching. She was wearing a big hat and she was smoking a cigarette from a holder.'Can't smoke in here, Ma'm. Sorry, but....''Oh, could you please come outside for a moment?''Sorry can't leave my station, Ma'm..''Oh, but you can.'I looked around, but I…

decades since minutes with moments to

444444 views33 comments22 favs

the drive-ins now are dead and gone / where once we laught through splatter films: / our screens too small, our horrors do not fit— / no monumental screens are left, / no close-ups show us what we think we fear.

Stableford

497497 views00 comments00 favs

Mike Summer's moustache was perfect. Hard bristle and so symmetrical it looked cut to the angles of a military imperative. He was pretty proud of it, thought the team of beaters, who watched him as he sat on the boot ledge of his sage green Mercedes 123 T, combing…

Dear Credit Card Thief

523523 views44 comments22 favs

Dear Credit Card Thief, I think of you—hunched, green cast, a zombie of the ephemeral, greedily parsing code, stealth hands like a lover's over my plastic doppelgänger, wafer of identity, your key to the internet of things, to me. Did you have a pleasant…