Most read stories

The Grinder

934934 views22 comments11 fav

"For several days thinking they had found a dead man’s boot beside the highway..."

A Sudden Keen Nostalgia

934934 views33 comments22 favs

Junior year, word got around that Eric had lost his virginity to his sophomore girlfriend. She rode him on the back seat of his car. Eric wasn't keen to discuss it - he seemed to feel a certain blushing shame. It was almost as if he was raped.Eric was a scientist, first and…

Grasshopper

934934 views11 comment11 fav

The grasshopper is perchedupon the rim of a plateas I pluck various varietiesof sunflowers; mammoth,and orange blood mexicandried up like a prickly cactus which pinch my fingers red.Pluck, pluck they go onto the clicking sound. The grasshopper is obliviousor…

Nineteen in '72

934934 views00 comments00 favs

bursting girl there is no moon

Luhvvz Lang-widge

934934 views00 comments00 favs

Th heeet frum mye skin on ers wus mehsidge eenuff.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 66

934934 views11 comment11 fav

Jack Krackenthorpe, Director-General of MI-5, sat alone drinking tea in Lee Ho Fook, a third-rate Chinese restaurant in Soho a mile from his Curzon Street office.

Sunday, Brick Lane

934934 views33 comments22 favs

Held tight during the week, clouds now cast off their burden, flinging down a drag-net of sleet.

scraps

934934 views55 comments55 favs

i’m trying to remember don’t all the best apples happen in September?

Johnny Bruzzone: Pool Hustler

934934 views55 comments11 fav

I was a coward and didn’t want to get killed like Heimley. Heimley was a nut at high school. I saw him myself one night put his hand right through the windshield of this car he was working on, along with a monkey wrench. Sure, he was drunk, but th

Gilbert B Fumbleberry

934934 views00 comments00 favs

“You know, Miss Viv, I love looking at the sun when it’s almost gone. It kinda looks like an orange and apple squished together. Those are the colors. And the puffy clouds under it look like a bed. It’s going to sleep."

Saint Basil's

934934 views33 comments22 favs

The last of the Kazan Tatar Khans. Each dome represents a severed head.

Elephant's Miracle

934934 views22 comments00 favs

"Already he is running and flying to the center of the world" - Mircea Eliade, about what a shaman is up to, under his mask.

What'd You Do This Weekend?

933933 views11 comment11 fav

Sometimes your Monday morning answer to the inevitable questions don't have to be so mundane and repetitive. And sometimes they do. No one gives a shit anyway.

In the Sequence of Events

933933 views55 comments44 favs

Eroica sprawled among/ the horns and violins

Peter's Office

933933 views55 comments22 favs

This is Peter’s office. The room is small, and the wood paneling is painted white. Light colors, Peter has been told, make a room appear larger.

My Mistress

933933 views1010 comments44 favs

the ex now alien

I Don't Know How the Nights Can Be So Long When Life Is So Short

933933 views44 comments44 favs

I will always remember that picture of you in your bright blue summer dress, with your arms spread out against a wooden fence in Central Park.

Industrial Revelation

933933 views33 comments33 favs

I tell my students about a timewhen seniority was told by the number of fingers on a worker's hands No weekends or overtime, children — bare toes dangling — twelve hours on the line I look for…

First Crush

933933 views22 comments00 favs

I wanted those jelly rolls so bad I could scream

Mechanics

933933 views55 comments55 favs

Seems I was in the wrong place, wrong time.

John Brigham's Dog

933933 views44 comments22 favs

Every day from my window I saw John Brigham's dog making its way across my field. The dog picked carefully through the shorn corn stubble taking the same route, I'm guessing, it took when the stalks made a shaded rustling forest. There is a narrow path…

Dead Bird Uncovered by Spring

933933 views55 comments44 favs

Left by a melting snowbank: Cup lids, pine needles, a cairn of dog shit, And the grey soggy shape Of an eyeless winter bird. His breast is an old accordion Gone to rot in an old…

Inconvenient Weather

933933 views66 comments66 favs

With the sudden thrust// of April green, we can forget/ our drought continues.

Film Appreciation

933933 views11 comment11 fav

“Shane, will you turn off the lights?” Jean asked. “Film really is much better with the correct lighting.” “I believe you,” Shane said while he switched off the lights, blanketing the room in complete darkness. The large TV on the…

Pearls

933933 views33 comments00 favs

You're trying to attract visitation in a small quarter with pearls in both your lobes. Only half of what you say is true. The red lipstick shines through like a brad on white paper, a voice, soprano. The half I tend to appreciate squanders & squalls. This is the ride…

The Sun from Under Water

933933 views11 comment00 favs

There was a thing she liked to do in the pool—after running and sweating—and that was to exhale as much air as she could stand, then hold her nose and sink to the bottom and just look up at the surface of the water, the way the sun hit it, the way the liq

Dear Sir

933933 views66 comments11 fav

[Lights up on CLAUDE. He's holding a letter, standing.]CLAUDE: Dear sir, We regret to inform you That your (that place with cream walls and dog hair…

The way the sky was now

933933 views00 comments00 favs

I’d like to say we didn’t remember the Alamo, but one of ours had to piss. We ran into youknowwho and he was fighting Mexicans and it was so beautiful and there were fireworks, or else it was God’s wrath, or else it was the sky now.

Kash Mire

933933 views44 comments33 favs

You watch with frigid eyes, as their soggy woolens squelch dark mud, even smiling a little as they make croaking frog-lure noises. You know eventually a toad or two would land in the Frogger. You like the word Frogger.

Walking To Gibraltar, Chapter 11: In Which An Accusation Is Debated

933933 views22 comments00 favs

He gave her cancer. He gave her cancer. Not what she said. She said her relationship gave her cancer. Her relationship with him. Gave her cancer.