Most read stories

My Future Husband

10621062 views22 comments22 favs

My future husband is wondering why I'm "taking your crap" when I'm excellent at standing up to his. He's cooking dinner in the stylish two story home he owns and wishing he had someone to share it with, a blue eyed blonde, but only if she's me.

ExsanguiNations

10621062 views88 comments66 favs

leaches fatten-up

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 10

10621062 views22 comments22 favs

Sounds terrific, but are there any strings attached?

The Upstart Apprentice of Golden Mean

10621062 views22 comments11 fav

...I am taut...my ankles ache...

Her Man in the Navy Blues

10621062 views66 comments33 favs

In that time when the trunk was getting cleared out and when it became only the empty shell of what had once been so important, many things hit the match. She burned an old black negligee, a picture competing with the likes of a Vargas girl and other thin

Disappointed Dust

10621062 views88 comments33 favs

The particles of dust didn't want to be looked at

Musica en La Habana

10621062 views00 comments00 favs

Mayra heard the bell ring and opened the door to her small home in downtown Havana. Mayra was in her 50's and had the beautiful dark olive skin of most Cuban people who have a mix of Caucasian and Negro in their blood.

Mama Blues

10621062 views77 comments44 favs

the stars might be the audience or they might not be if the beat sits right next to me and hugs me nasty

We of the Paper-doll Brigade Are Not Hiding Our True Selves Anymore, A FaceBook Flash

10621062 views1010 comments33 favs

I am confused by your new paper-doll look, btw. Could you please look regular again by Thursday?

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 25

10621062 views66 comments44 favs

It was 6 a.m. when the phone next to the bed awakened Francesco.

Global Arms - 3

10621062 views22 comments11 fav

She continued to cooperate with a city council agenda dominated by globalized privatization

Haying

10621062 views77 comments55 favs

It is not unusual for farmers to see the future before it’s begun—but I am not speaking here only of the need to hope but more. . . .

A Rough Dance

10621062 views33 comments00 favs

A young woman is seated center stage. She is pretty, dressed in a short nightgown. She sits nervously, her body tense and expectant.

The Dances

10621062 views66 comments33 favs

". . those incandescent secrets she would pepper in. The sister who ran away."

forgiveness

10621062 views33 comments22 favs

she sees that no one has considered her needsshe feels left out, and so she strikes outon the offensive, nostrils flaringpoints her finger and makes her caseshe has been wronged, justified in her angershe will not back downthe accused one is hurtstrikes back with her own…

The Industrious Mice

10611061 views33 comments22 favs

I am not responsible for any nightmares this piece may cause for all you mice lovers!

Penny

10611061 views22 comments00 favs

I saw a woman stop, Stoop on the platform To pick up a penny, And wondered what it was worth To her, that disruption, That eddy in the flow of the day's rush. One hint of brightness, A tiny windfall And something changed. Lucky heads…

Mercury Unbound - 2

10611061 views88 comments44 favs

An infested, indifferent universe . . .

Sunday Morning Series- 7: Sunday Morning Trifurcation

10611061 views1515 comments88 favs

Go diddle in the sand// to save some other sinner/ a death of stones.

Only Temporary

10611061 views11 comment00 favs

It was the middle of May when I found out my teacher was screwing my mother.

Something New

10611061 views33 comments00 favs

You see the ocean for the first time on our honeymoon. Your large feet dig deep into the muddy sands of the Maryland coastline as your blue eyes swell at the infinite water before you. I wrap my…

Good & Plenty

10611061 views00 comments00 favs

From across the crowded bar, past the be-suited lobbyists and in between the plates of fried calamari and glasses of cabernet being hustled to and fro by the Salvadoran waiters, Travis could see that John had changed. Not much, but enough to be noticeable. A little grey…

Okatooga Warhammer

10611061 views33 comments22 favs

They looked like girl’s jeans. Matt held them against himself in the mirror. Not that girl’s jeans were a mark against them. Usually, girls had better jeans anyway. Matt took two of the biggest pairs out of the big chest in his grandmother’s back closet.

A Day in the Life of Mike

10611061 views33 comments11 fav

This is a very impromptu piece written at two in the morning based on a prompt from Meg Pokrass, who insisted the following words be used: fussyhairybloomingslipperyflutterdamppaleweedsyanking “Maxfuss” was his password, which was appropriate,…

A Locked Door.

10611061 views22 comments11 fav

I look at that wall, it has piss-stain yellow paint and water scars from several years of leaky pipes. I say I wouldn’t mind that, if he took out some of that wall.

The wooden man: 12 fragments for Easter

10611061 views44 comments44 favs

The wooden man came to her in a cloud in a vision in a dream in a story. When he spoke, his tongue clacked against his teeth.——As soon as she woke up, she knew the wooden man was in her belly. She felt heavy with him, fatigued. All she wanted to eat was…

K2

10611061 views22 comments00 favs

Now it's late. I am hanging upside down from a rope coiled around my crushed left ankle, the pain too sharp to be really felt, as the excess blood to my head makes my thoughts fuzzy. I am almost two meters from the rock face, thirty-five hundred meters above sea-level, the…

Bonfire of the Insanity

10611061 views00 comments00 favs

You know when you’re in church and your older brother does something funny and you’re laughing and your dad grabs your elbow to make you shut up, but that’s even funnier still and you keep laughing and you know you shouldn’t be laughing because you’re in

Waiting for Hurricane Dennis, Florida 2005

10611061 views33 comments33 favs

WAITING FOR HURRICANE DENNIS, FLORIDA 2005 With soft eyes, she quizzed, shivered, said: “Where's Dad? Where's Ric? Will you leave me here alone? Are you all going to leave? Where's Peter? Do you feel all right? We're…

Butterflies are the souls of dead babies

10611061 views33 comments11 fav

When he leaves, she collects all the caterpillars she can find at the bottom of the garden and sits cross-legged in the shade of the buddleia. She makes a hollow in her skirt and drops in the smooth green, the furry black, the red, spotted and the spiny ones and watches as…