Most read stories

Back in the Shower

12221222 views99 comments11 fav

Naked, we stood in my shower. When she kicked my tool, I noticed she had a toe ring.

Tostoi's Last Fiction: a footnote to a note

12221222 views77 comments66 favs

The note was a lie, multiplied through each member of its potential audience....

Shira Dances

12221222 views1414 comments99 favs

She feels the music deep in her belly,her hips swaying, she looks out through lids no longer guardedand sees you, Her knees bend, her eyes close, She is moving back and forth,a pulse in time,Her arms snake around her head,She does not ask,may I enjoy myself?…

Phantom head syndrome

12221222 views33 comments22 favs

The Bird King suffers from phantom head syndrome. Ever since his decapitation by a critic, he has felt pain where his head used to be. Sometimes it wakes him in the night. It's so excruciating, he fumbles for a saw. But alas! there's nothing to chop off.He's seen every…

Stories in the Dirt

12221222 views1111 comments77 favs

I walk back home, alone and without the bus fare. Distancing myself from the shadows that float interminably against the drowsy sun. Where frightened boys often roam, going in circles against the long lines of epitaphs and gravestones. Puzzling…

I'll be Home for Christmas

12221222 views2121 comments66 favs

She hasn't called me in days. Before calling her, I search my memory for something romantic to say. Shakespeare's Sonnet 73 says exactly what I'm thinking. But she doesn't need to hear it. She already knows, as all human efforts come to an end, my core energies are tapering…

Why the World's Fireflies Are Being Counted

12221222 views22 comments11 fav

We got Bob Dylan on the wall wriggling from the lack of music and light among the spheres A great doubt has been raised and can be seen from far, far away for they are even afraid now in heaven that things can’t be going right and to

Land of Our Fathers

12221222 views22 comments11 fav

He called me one Friday when I was a kid and told me he wanted to go trout fishing. He had dreamt that I was a worm or a fly -- he couldn't remember which -- but he was sure I would bring good luck to the stream. The next morning, before grandma awoke, I

Jean-Michel Basquiat Invaded My Dreams

12221222 views2121 comments1212 favs

"the rum tasted of hibiscus blossoms"

Ode To The Lord's Heavenly Men

12221222 views66 comments22 favs

Women have to suffer

Orbit

12221222 views22 comments11 fav

And it seemed that, just a little more—and the solution would be found, and then a new, beautiful life would begin; and it was clear to both of them that the end was still far off, and that the most complicated and difficult part was just beginning.

Assiduity Fifteen

12221222 views66 comments55 favs

I'm in love with Uzma Goef, a beautiful young woman less than half my age.

The Dirt

12221222 views66 comments66 favs

The coffin-sized pit in his basement wasn’t freshly dug.

Self-Fired Bullets

12221222 views1515 comments88 favs

Grasping for control over social consciousness Because cigarettes are too deadly and so is anorexia

The Preservation of Innocence (through Times of Hunger and Doubt)

12221222 views11 comment00 favs

Alicia got to third block early and scribbled down some of the derivatives homework. Others trickled in intermittently, drifting to their seats like impurities getting caught in a filter.

Bron-yr-Aur

12221222 views33 comments22 favs

The night we broke into Bron-yr-Aur it was too cold to make love. I said I wasn't horny anyway. You put your hand on my forehead: Are you ill?

Lines with Billie Holiday

12221222 views1212 comments1111 favs

It is almost as if there isn’t a wedge of wood between us – I can feel him inches away from me. I can’t control the sigh or the tears that escape my body.

Darwin at the Zoo

12221222 views1717 comments1313 favs

This year we have no need of spring!

Spiders

12211221 views33 comments33 favs

Ten am, and the piledriver behind Rhys's eyes shows no sign of mercy. Beyond the safety glass, caverns of empty air tumble down and out to where the edge of the city is lost in the murk. The figures on the screen pulse and phase with the hideous internal rhythm of his…

Hypnagogia

12211221 views44 comments44 favs

The figure eight will fall on its side. Become infinity.

The Snow-Child

12211221 views00 comments00 favs

“Where are you going?” asked the young man. Teary-eyed and beaten, he gently put his hands on the shoulders of Snow-child, her back turned from him. “Home,” Snow-child said. “I'm going back to Norway.” …

Awakening

12211221 views11 comment11 fav

What? No, no, where did my world go? I was in the middle of… something. What's going on? What's stroking my face?

Two Weeks After the Shadow

12211221 views55 comments11 fav

Two weeks after the shadow shows up in Stephen's x-ray, you decide to do something about the bucket in the garden. You start by wedging it underneath the faucet in the back yard so tightly that it pushes against the pipe with the groan of grinding metal. Now the hose is…

1968: What I Wanted

12211221 views1010 comments66 favs

Her smile dazzled me from across the room.

Cleveland Clinic

12211221 views22 comments11 fav

Allie didn't share that moment with Jim. That moment he spoke about whenever they made new friends as a couple— that moment he planned to recount at their engagement party.

Reciprocation

12211221 views33 comments11 fav

"I have a prehensile tongue," he said matter-of-factly. "I know how to make you feel good." Such confidence, I say. Prove it.We're sitting on the couch, watching a movie, but not paying attention to it. We sit side-by-side, my leaning into him, and his arm is around me,…

On the Bench (Matthew III)

12211221 views1414 comments77 favs

turn your face

Devoured Worship

12211221 views66 comments22 favs

This wasn't going to be about her anymore.She tied her strong purple balloon to the neck of the wounded horse. Her skirt and her top felt like armor's breath. The tingle across her scalp felt warm. Small rug scrapes that made her think of her last dog, before she died.This…

Impotent

12211221 views99 comments66 favs

I tell myself I should have known. You were always absence.

Fishers of Hope

12211221 views00 comments00 favs

June Day sprinted with urgency through the halls of the Armistice. Whenever she passed a window looking out into space, if it wasn't already covered, she didn't bother looking out, but not because of her hurry; no one did anymore. She was young, but the…