Most discussed stories

Soviet

19811981 views11 comment11 fav

The neatly-gentrified Mtsensk District plaster buckled in all the right grey-painted places. The aged, yellowing windows rose and fell in fashionable decay. It was a well-upholstered citizen's slum, drawn to exacting state specifications. Local housing authorities…

Nostril

892892 views11 comment00 favs

The damaged lining of this awkward appellation is just bewitching, begging of the light test prod — OW! and then stern mastery: Introducing the cruelly hooked thumb with ragged nail, plunging up, ripping into and down…

Yr Wire

12451245 views11 comment11 fav

Hours. Hours, bygone. He said, “Come to me all liquored up and you know what’s gonna happen.” Sure. It was every bit true, what he said, six months bygone, chewing off cuticle scabs somewhere out west.

In the hot seat

13021302 views11 comment00 favs

I sighed and looked deep into his eyes. “There is nothing more powerful than denial.”

The Devil & Mr Johnson (part 1)

856856 views11 comment00 favs

The night was black as burned flesh.

my future, maybe yours

883883 views11 comment11 fav

She went for the typewriter first.

Nothing

983983 views11 comment11 fav

I dream about the boy in The Neverending Story, the gate of mirrors, and the Nothing, a dark cloud that floats in the sky, takes away everything.

INVIDIA

12161216 views11 comment00 favs

"I always disliked such display of religious fervor. I dislike religious fervor. Period."

Sleeping Bag Whiskey

981981 views11 comment22 favs

indelicate, as everything arrives at once.

Treasured Souls

850850 views11 comment11 fav

Oh, but we have lost-- such treasured souls, at immeasurable costs. Oh, but we do moan and cry-- such treasured souls, no tangible, useable reasons why. Oh, but we whose hearts do bleed-- such treasured souls, we…

Bunnies

12101210 views11 comment00 favs

I laughed maniacally in my head at the thought, but I kept picking at it all the same, the bunnies had plans for us.

Drummers

742742 views11 comment00 favs

My mother loves Phil Collins. When my brother and I were young, she told us she was his back-up drummer, that he'd send a private helicopter to pick her up whenever he needed an extra hand. Though we never saw her leave, we decided drumming was in our blood, and…

She Closed Her Eyes

23112311 views11 comment00 favs

So we pushed on. Beyond all reason. Avery still with the gun strapped over her shoulder, her close-cropped bangs, her small feet in army boots clodding through the open brown field we were now in. Above us, a wavering circle of vultures, following us, …

Badface Investigates - Being Naked

11391139 views11 comment00 favs

I'm completely naked in an unheated basement, about 40 first year university students, most of them female, are staring at my ridiculous waif-like body.

Things Unspoken

936936 views11 comment11 fav

There's something about the way he touches me every time that makes my heart skip a beat and pushes the air from my throat. I shiver under his hot breath while he whispers softly and pulls himself closer, letting his fingers glide…

This page is intentionally left blank.

981981 views11 comment00 favs

The Wrestlers

884884 views11 comment11 fav

Grappling—eloquence in torsion, a language of bodies and mastered agility. Two opponents fighting like lithe jungle cats for dominance, like generals plotting their attacks, their feints—this is no playtime…

BARCELONA CON AMORE

870870 views11 comment11 fav

The fog drifted in, wreathing the woman in undulate shadows as kleigs danced in wind and ships moaned. Souchet had come through the Barrio Chino to stand on the pier at the hour when dead cease their ramblings and sleep.…

Nell

11901190 views11 comment00 favs

Was it hope or despair that drove her to walk out the door of the place she had called home for the past twenty years? Did she feel sorrow or relief to leave behind a husband and five children?

Worth a Thousand Words

931931 views11 comment00 favs

He was triply satisfied: he’d come twice and he was a damn good-looking man.

The Cracks Between My Keyboard Keys

11011101 views11 comment22 favs

In exactly 100 words, I review the cracks between my keyboard keys.

Ceremony

10371037 views11 comment00 favs

It was possible, she realized, to hope through hopelessness.

children

870870 views11 comment00 favs

Since I have never found any mention of children that you may have had in your writings, I've been a little reluctant to tell you this story. It may be a touchy subject for you...I don't know. It's a lot of conjecture on my part, but there's one indispu

A glimpse of death

735735 views11 comment11 fav

It all had to begin somewhere; some moment of time and space which arose in perfection- and dissolved into the now. It was a beginning he couldn't quite remember, couldn't grasp onto- it simply sifted through his fingers, sand floating away with the wind. That's not to say…

noise

888888 views11 comment11 fav

I am naked in an upright glass box with water running through my hair and over my skin. I am in there when the old man who invited himself into our house for six long months (because no one had the nerve to tell him to leave) opens a door and stands…

How Veetzers Set Us Up For the Zorks

11811181 views11 comment00 favs

We're doomed as a species. The Zorks are coming to eat us. It all started when Joey Cacciatore, the dumbest crook in the history of the world, got Veetzers swarming like blowflies in 1972, and thereby ensured the upcoming…

The Clown Show

22782278 views11 comment00 favs

Long nights on the road and into the ravines, wondering wordlessly how far they had traveled and where they were going, wondering and forgetting and consulting again the map, although they now travelled those forests beyond the forests on maps

Unclassifieds 1

10871087 views11 comment11 fav

*Must have excellent communication skills and be able to talk pretty good.

Ode to Monday Morning Without You

648648 views11 comment00 favs

The soiled concrete sings to me a symphony. / I try to place my ear on it but a millipede / enters my brain and consumes it: /

I and a Friend Eat Burritos

818818 views11 comment11 fav

My friend and I were talking while having burritos (some days, it is as if all we ever eat are burritos, existentially speaking) and I was looking at the way he inserted that shaft of meat in his mouth and thought him prodigious for his technique