Alphabetical stories

Bootstraps

14751475 views22 comments00 favs

I made my way quietly out back and sat in Helga’s whitewashed porch swing, listening to the first faint sounds of big band music drift out of Helga’s open windows and into the cooling summer air. The darkness was moving in slow from the east, interrup

Bootsy Goes on a Bender

12601260 views66 comments33 favs

Bootsy awoke with a hangover that only brain surgery could cure, a hangover that caused a seam to open in the known universe, leaving Bootsy on one side while all other matter sped away, away.

Borden, Dream on Lord of the Pies.

14801480 views22 comments11 fav

A plague of dykes mattered not. This spider-girl had driven the world of thought from Borden’s mind.

BORDER JUSTICE

891891 views00 comments00 favs

CHAPTER ONE About nine-thirty P.M. on Friday night, Mary Fowler pushed her grocery cart through the double sliding glass doors. It was three weeks before Christmas. The sun had set and the temperature had begun to cool rapidly in…

Border Town Dawn/There's a Momentary Cloud (Reach for the Sky)

953953 views77 comments55 favs

Border town meant one thing; we were caught up real good in the middle of something preternaturally dangerous; and understanding was at the very least a hundred miles or so away in either direction. All I…

Borderline

244244 views77 comments55 favs

You slipped me the key

Boredom & Ennui

19251925 views00 comments00 favs

I had a weird feeling I had just validated his behavior — provided another tile in the mosaic of his ego and self-esteem — by doing nothing more than entering this hall of mirrors, and reflecting.

Boredom takes a Snapshot

246246 views1111 comments99 favs

.

Borges in the SUB

13321332 views2121 comments88 favs

"There's Borges."

Borgo Was 29 on His Birthday

650650 views66 comments55 favs

Borgo said 1979/So Borga remembered 1979/for him, just in case,/for what if:/ a driver license/or an act of god/or a marriage license/or even a lease/for an apartment/you never know, she said/ so he said, okay/you remember,/so she did.

boring

11901190 views88 comments44 favs

You don't want to knowthe details of my lifethe gossipthe boring moments strung togetheracross the lap ofmy sense of responsibilityit drives methrough the daysdoing this and thatchore, check on the listi am tired and need to stop for a drinkand then, i am filled up for a…

Boring Boy

664664 views55 comments11 fav

Deslauriers taught that of the five derogatory items a girl could be—bitch, slut, tease, frigid, whore—tease was the worst. Having a German Shepherd at home protected Liz. My family had a cat, female and black.

Boringer's Theory

189189 views1212 comments77 favs

If Simpkin believed in reincarnation, which he did not, as he was a philosopher, not a religious fanatic, he might have thought he was Boringer reincarnated.

Born Here (from Grand Street literary journal)

12321232 views11 comment00 favs

I really only started reading books after the folks left. Right away I thought maybe I should have a system for it, so I go alphabetically by author, one book by one author. The first time around I was reading the books everyone knows, so when I was in th

Born in 1991

10731073 views55 comments66 favs

Sometimes I think living in a house with so many rooms / you can get lost just making your way to the fridge / should be enough. I chastise myself for wanting more.

Born Lucky

948948 views33 comments11 fav

He's gonna find he wasn't born lucky after all, his propaganda has got up on the wrong side of the bed and sidled onto the couch.

Born of Flight

657657 views66 comments55 favs

I can walk among words, Scatter them like birds, to compose two thirds of a poem, when they settle on nearby wires, in an order inspiring wonder. What do they think, when I scatter them asunder. Bring them disarray, Shape them to a…

Born to Be Alive

11291129 views11 comment00 favs

When Mt. St. Helens erupted, I knew that was the end of Bigfoot.

Born Too Soon: America's Hottest Teachers

16751675 views00 comments11 fav

The teachers who get caught propositioning male students are always wholesome family women. This is why I have repeatedly called for regular round-ups of wholesome family women before another young man’s morals are corrupted.

Bosch's Last Words

12631263 views66 comments55 favs

I / go my / way alone

Boss Gloss

4242 views11 comment11 fav

Short-short fiction

Boston Artists Fight Gentrification, One SUV at a Time

595595 views11 comment00 favs

"I'm dreading it," says Kati Rivers, a visual artist who has lived in the Fort Point Channel district. "A bunch of fat suburbanites driving up rents and crowding creative people out of the little cafes and bistros."

Boston Marathon

10541054 views99 comments66 favs

As I walked down to the Subway, I thought to myself that now, after the horror in Boston, everybody looks like a terrorist.

Boswell Meets The Subterrans

965965 views00 comments00 favs

He bounds like a lunar explorer into the Edinburgh Castle, the goofy porcelain busts glaring at him with contempt.

Botanical Garden

932932 views00 comments11 fav

It looks like Arizona, like a desert with secrets. The bed unfolded and she was being good today. She would be good, no matter how he moved and laughed she would be a lady. The names of the flowers escaped her, flowers she'd always known. All she saw were waterlilies.…

Botanical Maneuvers

814814 views77 comments55 favs

They hunger for new real estate/ and those resources underground

Bottle in a Vase

646646 views11 comment11 fav

I woke up and rolled over to look at my clock. Realizing I was not in my bed, I looked around the dark room for any clock. There on the ceiling, the time was displayed in red digital numbers. 5:30 am. I stayed at a friend's…

Bottles of Happiness

743743 views00 comments00 favs

She sold bottles of happiness at the marketplace. She woke up at dawn every morning to capture rays of happiness in the air. She would jump and let her fingers thread through each ray before sorting them into bottles. She always added a red ribbon to the tops of each…

Bougainvilla Drive

878878 views44 comments22 favs

blue plexiglass skateboard is holding the light of a turmeric sun. jacob turns it this way and that and lets it sit on its side atop parking curbs. denim legs canvas feet. looking down sign ridden streets and squinting. sometimes sun showers leak out. cotton…

Bougainvillea

14331433 views1111 comments33 favs

Marcel Proust ran about the grounds chasing an itinerant tennis ball and kissing the guests, his huge testicles sweeping the lawn.