PDF

Boring Boy


by Ann Bogle


Deslauriers (b. 1961 or so) and Mike and Marty (twins). Marty had meningitis so stayed in then.  They were from the Minnetonka school district where rich kids not at Blake tried heroin.  Young John said his Hepatitis C came from that.  He acknowledged he had tried “the gay thing” once.  To others, that would be final.  That would mean gay, ironclad.  We lived in Minnetonka in the Hopkins district.  Minnetonka-district-border kids called our hill Skunk; we called it Fox.  Tim No-yes, Bryce, Gary. DeVeau had the bus barns.  Deslauriers taught that of the five derogatory items a girl could be—bitch, slut, tease, frigid, whore—tease was the worst.  That there was a German Shepherd at home protected Liz.  My family had a cat, female and black.  We all smoked, had smoked, or witnessed it, homegrown or tobacco.  Toke, hit, drag.  Puff the Magic Dragon.  I'd like to be under the sea, in an octopus's garden in the shade.  At Lindbergh, Annette Funicello obtained.  The Pilot projected that eighty per cent of the student body had attempted pot at least once.  My interview with our seventeen international exchange students was chosen best article in 1978.  My mother can remember that Ronald Reagan spoke at Eisenhower. Perhaps it was in 1982, when Hopkins, combined by then, was the first school in the state to be recognized as a National School of Excellence.

Endcap