Recommended stories

ROLLING LIKE THUNDER

12191219 views88 comments22 favs

The ocean smelled like decomposed plant life and clinically despicable vagina, but I still spoke of its power and my fear of it in moonlit clichés and she still listened.

Henry Ground

11451145 views1212 comments11 fav

Henry Ground was a healthy and well adjusted English man who excelled at chess and folk dancing. One day, for no apparent reason, he decided to fill his guinea pig with helium. He carried the animal under the light of the stars into the shed at the bottom of his garden.…

Monsters

990990 views88 comments22 favs

I have always been frightened of Ferris Wheels

Combinatorics

11871187 views66 comments33 favs

“I'm thinking about math class,” she said. “The solution to three factorial.” “Easy,” Leo said.

Four Days before Thanksgiving, Boston to Colorado

13571357 views55 comments44 favs

The daughter's trip, a travail, cross country; the painkillers were not the finisher mom needed—and the white sheets of the institution were too thin to provide her any comfort as she dreamt of swimming; a backstroke suspended over a waterless pool.Her father…

Getting to Work

11421142 views1010 comments22 favs

And I don't know how long it will be until she comes outside and figures it all out. Figures me out.

Dakar 1989

12571257 views77 comments33 favs

Everyone runs to the plane but me. I get the last seat (middle of 5), crush men’s bags on my way. I’m white & female. They glare.

Her Side of the Story

11191119 views77 comments22 favs

I can't even tell you when it all started to come apart, but I do know that they're just nervous tics, responses to stress. We all go through it.The fact is I wouldn't even be bringing up any of this if it wasn't for the fact of the… incident… Shit, I know I wasn't…

The Tortoise in the Hair

16931693 views33 comments33 favs

Pete told me, honest to God, that the first night he had that tortoise back home with him, he woke up the next morning bald. The damn thing had eaten off all his hair. So then Pete figured he'd strike up a deal with Clarence Magee, the barber.

Valentine

11871187 views44 comments11 fav

"His middle name is Valentine, and when asked about it, he isn't sure why."

Trees on Fields

11961196 views99 comments22 favs

Dear Jackknife Ponderosa, I'm stupid. Let's move on. Let's move past the part where I complain, where I struggle with circumstance, where I display my petty arms, and shoot holes in the air. …

Miracle Bra for my behind

15041504 views1010 comments11 fav

Do you want an ass mi Nina Bonita? I buy you jeans that work like a Miracle Bra for your behind.

Swaying on This Articulation Until We Slow

866866 views33 comments33 favs

In Nebraska, I looked up from the flatness, to her face, then down to the page and saw this: Real people have joy.

Imaginary Photo Album

11051105 views44 comments33 favs

Let me swim into your eyes. Let me show you my world. My album. My Albania. My albumen.

To All the Sisters on My iPod

11511151 views44 comments33 favs

It was a wake-up call. A sign that I needed to stop and ask if I was making wise and sensible life choices. My iPod was full.

The Color of Sleep

11111111 views55 comments22 favs

Have you ever seen a body of words give birth to a paragraph? I won't lie. It's a little gross. But quite moving. First there is the biology of reproduction. A blackbird living in an electric guitar, for instance, and its inexplicable urge to mate with an elephant.…

the custodial cats of the fulcrum of memory + three

732732 views33 comments33 favs

“the calendar of my future was in there!”/ yes: all tomorrows belong to the dead cats,/ their decisions relinquish one day per day.

Reconceiving the Resurrected

776776 views66 comments22 favs

among and begin / bouquets

I Love a Man Who Whistles

734734 views33 comments33 favs

“Hey! You can’t be whistling on Greyhound,” the bus driver said, looking up in the rearview mirror.

Time

12311231 views22 comments11 fav

time. Night after night he's up, restless. What if she knew his plans? If only he'd bypass his miscalculations and slip through

My Brief Career as Sloganeer for HAP

726726 views55 comments33 favs

I needed a job. They needed a writer without humanistic moral qualms to create slogans for the Human Annihilation Project

Word Burglar

11381138 views55 comments33 favs

Oh my god - A plagiarizing pony - I know someone must have said that before

A Love Letter To The Glasgow Transport System

980980 views44 comments33 favs

Skulk like a lovespun spider in a record store corner on the orange formica subway car

Weather Channel Music Writer

11241124 views55 comments33 favs

He can become anyone. If he wants. He'd rather not but it's not his choice.

Exquisite Now

10761076 views44 comments22 favs

In the exquisite now, I feel everything around me, in me, before and after, I think, I should call you, say goodnight, but I do not, choose instead to write this poem, as though I can capture the magic of what is happening between us in words, A…

Miranda

953953 views1010 comments22 favs

...cinched the handcuffs.

Where's My Phreakin' Nobel Prize in Physics?

12151215 views77 comments33 favs

Where I went to college, you couldn’t swing a dead cat in a physics lab without hitting a Nobel laureate. I know–we tried. They finally made us stop–it wasn’t fair to the cat.

Professional Judgment

832832 views33 comments11 fav

Biting my tongue instead of lashing red stripes

When Dreams Come Knocking

12761276 views88 comments22 favs

“What are you doing after this?” I asked, faking a self confidence I didn’t truly posses at fifteen. I didn’t seem to realize that I wasn’t old enough for any of the clubs they’d go to. I’d heard that fans sometimes followed the band to an after-party.

Assiduity Twenty Five

985985 views33 comments33 favs

" . . . it's overcast with scattered rain along the Wabash River as I approach the federal correctional complex . . . "