Most recent stories

Carpe Diem

13141314 views88 comments66 favs

It's true push often comes to shove

Good Morning

11481148 views66 comments44 favs

Sleep never fades away quickly. It has to be shaken off, layer by layer, before reality can reach you. That is the way every morning works for me. There are some days when I will sit at the edge of my bed for almost an hour, shedding remnants of dreams

Shirley Ave.

896896 views00 comments00 favs

What can I offer you, White Moon?This full night lays black before your stoic assent—and Ibreathe my final breath, frantic—for you. I wait, damned,a bestial lover in the broken dark of the variety market, whisperinga word of forgiveness to an empty window. I…

Linear A

10521052 views1717 comments99 favs

let’s press our words into the clay/ in language so completely dead/ we have to re-imagine it.

A Flam

12071207 views77 comments66 favs

In the blacklight of the storm, mother would tremble, spit and sway as the shutters would clatter and she would give away her balance. It was more than my heart could bear. She would always center her accusation with, “your boyfriend is a rake and a flam.” That…

Tonight

12561256 views1010 comments44 favs

Let's fuck like 20-year-olds, darlingwrap ourselves around each otherand fuck our way to the starsLet's cross that line between you and meand the stuff people pay to seeI know pleasure and it is thisall over me, you, covering,…

Forgiveness

173173 views2121 comments1515 favs

where teenage mothers sat in the waiting room feeding babies from bottles filled with Coca-Cola and Group 13 was filled with the unluckiest women in the world.

in defense of assholes

10231023 views33 comments22 favs

No excerpt for you.

Follow My Lead

890890 views00 comments00 favs

I ran down the list of reasons she might be calling. She could be bankrupt, having a mid-life crisis, or maybe had a terminal illness. Either way I was clueless, as I had absolutely no emotional bond with the woman I came out of.

Author meets unflattering reviewer in bar

30633063 views5757 comments3131 favs

It was one of those incredible literary coincidences destined to reside in Wiki annals forever.

fires

824824 views33 comments22 favs

Fire.Orange.Fire.There were orange and red fires but for the most part they were orange.Before that, I was just standing there in the dark looking at the streetlights and then past them. I was gonna try to stare into infinity and had high hopes. Due to much cloud cover,…

Assiduity Twenty

10911091 views77 comments33 favs

I experience a presence when walking through the forest . . .

Pessoa

930930 views66 comments55 favs

Pessoa, wake up, I need your help!I want to be the universe, I need to be the universe. And somehow be no-one at all. I want to expand and be everything and not be tragically held by One. But I need your help, old man, because my words are not enough to make me forget that…

Haiku for the Worried

12321232 views66 comments33 favs

Real life escapes you.

Six.

305305 views2020 comments1111 favs

She smiles at strangers,

Attila the Bun and the Lost Paradigm

12741274 views1010 comments66 favs

I had a meeting with the editor of a well-known magazine. She said, “I think your paradigm got stuck up your monomyth.” “Oh dear. Is that bad?” “Bad? You want to be a writer, don't you?” “Well, I did. I'm not so sure now.…

Tolstoy

104104 views1010 comments77 favs

At first, it was tedious, those long Russian names, the convoluted story, but recess after recess he stayed in and became enchanted

Downbound A

862862 views22 comments22 favs

Fall came early that year. The edge in the air wasn't just the cold, raw wind cutting down the street — the unity and collective embrace briefly shared after September 11th had faded. The weight from…

zygomatics

11251125 views44 comments22 favs

i saw a sign and it read A PERSON THAT IS MEAN TO THE WAITER IS A MEAN PERSON i thought of you with your high cheekbones, the sense of entitlement unparalleled, the superiority complex that hid much you had a gig and it had probably…

Metamorphosis

10701070 views66 comments55 favs

One morning as Georgia Samantha was waking up from her girlish dreams, she found that she had been changed during the night into a stiff-spined book.

On Not Having an Affair With a Flamboyant Minor Dadaist Poetess

12131213 views88 comments44 favs

It’s just that—well, I don’t know how to put this— With a Dadaist poet a non-affair is the height of erotic bliss.

Found Out

10461046 views44 comments44 favs

The other day my friend, Donald, said Shirley always tells him she loves him and she probably does in her way, but it didn't comport with what he walked in and found her doing again last night. She was back at it, hunched over her computer, having chat sex with the…

Red Sky at Night

10581058 views44 comments22 favs

Floating in liquor only to drown the next morning.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 28

844844 views00 comments00 favs

Ben watched Monique disappear into the first-class cabin. It didn’t seem likely that he would see her again after this flight.

Sin

12021202 views1313 comments1010 favs

Sin by Nonnie Augustine After my mother died, I met Aunt Shirley. I found her in dozens of snapshots piled in falling apart cardboard boxes we hauled down from the attic. Small girls, with huge bows bobby-pinned right on top of…

For Rent

117117 views1010 comments66 favs

A writer was looking for characters for a new story and decided to rent out a room in his brain, thinking it might attract someone interesting. Given the poor real estate market, there were no takers, and he decided to offer the room for…

A Beautiful Ancient Ghostly Passionate Spirit of the Stars

17041704 views3333 comments1717 favs

Fabio has a soul of passion. A beautiful soul of passion. His passionate soul was so beautiful the ancient stars shone upon him and made him look like ghosts at night.

Lemony snickers on Route 66

13481348 views2020 comments1010 favs

Went back to his cab and returned with a whip...

Souvenirs

10171017 views22 comments22 favs

It is a hot August night — the same kind you remember from that summer after high school graduation. A cool breeze blows in off the ocean, sweeping across the boardwalk just hard enough to dry the …

Simpler Disasters

863863 views11 comment11 fav

In the afternoon, there was a certain time when the sunlight spilled through the windows in the common room and made everything look all bright and fresh and optimistic. If you ignored the patients and doctors milling about and…