Most recent stories

Endurance Capital

140140 views1919 comments1212 favs

...

Into The Night

756756 views22 comments11 fav

Under a conspiratorial moon… the shovel my silent partner… organ-less torso to the worms.

~she dance~

11001100 views22 comments22 favs

the lightning horse you never mounted in your inherited dream~wetter than the oceans you never traversed~will you ever ride pure abandon?

Why I Can't Write Romance

739739 views00 comments11 fav

But all I see, the only irresolute shape in my mind that forms and becomes real, is you.

Self-possession

10231023 views33 comments22 favs

Self-possession. He had it. In his arctic white t-shirt; blonde haired, broad shouldered, unburdened. “I will make you love me,” he had said, in a bar.

Looking Upwards

13121312 views1313 comments88 favs

Steel beams. Welds painted over green. Yellow numbers of some sort. Old phone booths. Tags on the walls. I looked up and saw where bits of water fall down from the overpass. Pigeon up there. Washing his wings or something like that. Greyness. I was in a truck.…

The New Poetry

894894 views77 comments11 fav

The new poetry comes in shining metal boxes covered in glass so you can peer in.

Contained

10851085 views11 comment11 fav

You’re listening to Smooth FM, taking you from the darkest hours to the start of a brand new day.

Nail polish

963963 views00 comments00 favs

Those in the house don’t notice the sweaty woman on their lawn any more than they notice the Ruger LCP pistol she holds limply in her right hand.

This Is A Warning

12081208 views00 comments00 favs

Walking home, carrying his guitar case, Jed felt the sums of his life adding up to dangerously high numbers, the deadly inertia of vaguely comfortable apathy swallowing his time. His moment would soon be fading. Because, like many young men before him, Jed…

Playa Conchal

9494 views33 comments33 favs

There is a small resort village on the northwest Pacific shoreline of Costa Rica, within the province of Guanacaste, near a town called Tamarindo. It is arguably the most beautiful of the Esmeralda beaches. Below Playa Hermosa, even further down than Playa Flamingo,…

Application for Position as Failure

11941194 views99 comments22 favs

Dear Sir/ Madam I wish to apply for the position you advertised in the Daily Sun. Although my expertise is in self-obliteration and self-worth (or lack of), and my work mainly in disappointment, I do have much experience in failure, which this letter will…

Reel

511511 views00 comments00 favs

They left their great need behind When they were taken out of the country. They seem to live without thought of that blood. They do not respond to anything that calls to it. They seem shallow. They feed on image alone. Blood does not shake the

Sanctuary Beach

10241024 views1212 comments77 favs

We eat, sleep, play Scrabble on our iPads, and go down to breakers at sunrise and sunset. The sunset is spectacular.

Deity

946946 views11 comment11 fav

On this day, a blinding sky holds ribbed reams of clouds, staccato against staggering blue.

Writing From Paintings (a meditation on the work of artist Michelle Manley)

932932 views33 comments11 fav

Since we are heading past the outskirts, we find ourselves with a hidden reserve of valor and ability. What is this ability? It is the way we look now at strange new clouds menacing and waiting. It is also the way we head forth into them and their environ

Conversation in a Dark Corner of Cafe Breton

866866 views22 comments22 favs

I loved you with the heaviness of crushed knives

Indian Summer

932932 views11 comment11 fav

I'm wonderin how'd your momma and pop get you to give up a whole summer to spend in this dusty old polio museum we call a house?

our lips are barely touching

13331333 views11 comment00 favs

Our lips are barely touching It's a game And you want to play it, and I want to play it Because you like it, and because I like it Our lips can touch, just touch Our lips can touch, but they can't really touch Our lips can touch, just barely touch Our eyes must…

Inconvenient Weather

903903 views66 comments66 favs

With the sudden thrust// of April green, we can forget/ our drought continues.

Bloody Toe

722722 views22 comments11 fav

Owen had never seen his boyfriend cry, but while he was in the bathroom having a cigarette through the open window, he heard Devin sniffling and coughing back tears. A bit shocked, he decided not to confront Devin or acknowledge that he had heard. Italian men could be…

Moment to Moment

852852 views1010 comments33 favs

The memory fades so quickly, It makes me wonder if it ever really happened? Then I have to create something new from scratch to fill the space Yeah, there are patterns, and sudden movements that pass for recollections, but couldn't they as…

A Flat Sheet and One Standard Pillowcase

993993 views00 comments00 favs

this is your hair, this is your stare, this is your voice

Breathing

13211321 views22 comments11 fav

After only a few months’ practice I am able to dive deep within myself. Inhale. A millisecond stop and I am under the surface. I know there is something here within myself – some treasure that I have come to find.

Omens

898898 views22 comments22 favs

The rain falls soft after a hard weekend.

Larry Swain's Universe

992992 views66 comments33 favs

By fiddling with the time space continuum and mixing in liberal quantities of quarks from his "Li'l Bang Dimensional Digester", Larry created an entirely new universe in his garage. This was a flagrant violation of Cosmic Law. It could not be ignored, nor

Baggage Dreams

157157 views2929 comments1616 favs

...

Elephant.

324324 views1616 comments1010 favs

How could he care less what those below thought, when everything below him was demonstrably beneath him?

Snark

950950 views11 comment11 fav

His Danger Pistol was out of bullets, his Bag of Tricks was empty, and he wasted his last can of Antimatter back at the lab. All he had was his Charm and his wits. Charm wouldn't last forever, and he'd always come up a little short in the wits department.

It's Always the Quiet Ones

10891089 views55 comments44 favs

I know this much: right now I’m over a thousand miles from my brother. I’ve been watching the odometers, adding it all up.