Most discussed stories

Australia (from slushpilemag.com)

11461146 views11 comment00 favs

Now Ninalee gets up from the table. She starts to put some snacks in a bag for Janny and Benjie, and some storybooks in there too, to read to them in the park: books about trains, mostly, and there’s one with a bus and one with a car...

Prurient

12011201 views11 comment11 fav

I like him. I really, really like him in a way that I don’t like guys, not anymore, not after all the dirty lies into get in my pants, the dirtier lies to get out of them later, the indignities and the humiliations and the disappointments.

The Train Rolls On

808808 views11 comment00 favs

From my office window, I watch the trains roll in and out of the city. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of passengers staring out windows as the train slows, the ones who have another destination. I've been on those trains before, ones that took me far away from all that…

When the Sky Was Blue

772772 views11 comment00 favs

Michael shifted impatiently as his mom steadied the gyrocycle above the parking space. A rather blank, empty smile came over her face, and Michael understood. The Proctors were everywhere and where they weren’t, there was always a Neighbor who would be h

Thursday at the Office

11371137 views11 comment22 favs

David looked at the plaque sitting on top of his computer monitor and wondered if he’d even touched it since he’d placed it there. He picked it up and brushed off six years’ worth of dust into the wastebasket on top of the mustard-stained sandwich wrappe

The Days, the Weeks

909909 views11 comment11 fav

Next morning the thought crosses my mind of snapping Mom’s neck, making sure she’s dead, and then running down to the sea to drown myself.

O Saddam!

17581758 views11 comment33 favs

Saddam Hussein was a street-side seller of hot nuts near Faneuil Hall. He worked undercover there during the last Gulf War until just after it, as the US slagged the Iraqis. If only they'd known while they video-bombed his underground bunkers and chased his doubles that…

Allergic Reaction

984984 views11 comment11 fav

On his way to his first fishing expedition in the Bay Area, the man remembered the rustle and shimmer of the willows by the muddied Jemez River in New Mexico, cold beer, the clean camaraderie of childhood friends. He walked along a path choked with greenery to the San Pablo…

Antarctica

855855 views11 comment11 fav

I don't have the feelings of self-worth a young woman should have, Monica Lewinsky tells the nation. She seems to understand there will always be some amount of ice beneath her.

Another Band Name

280280 views11 comment00 favs

Hillary's Pantsuits

COYOTE BAIT

17451745 views11 comment11 fav

Light was always fucking with you in LA, especially in the afternoon where it possessed a golden hue that could knock you over if you weren’t careful. Its beauty reminded you of what you lacked.

Heron

10581058 views11 comment11 fav

. . . nor did mine eye apologize.

better than perfect

920920 views11 comment00 favs

i mean the perfect setting is great and all the right lighting very little the right music she says kings of leon i say broken social scene with nothing but time and a large bed with balled up sheets and us but i love early morning fluorescent bathroom light…

My Wife, the Registry of Motor Vehicles

749749 views11 comment11 fav

We’ve been married for 24.1667 years now and–well–my wife was starting to remind me of a public building. The Registry of Motor Vehicles, to be precise.

Questions Dog First Pooch's Kennel Papers

12751275 views11 comment11 fav

The White House released only a short-form pedigree certificate, which “breeders” claim bears signs of alteration. “The ‘K’ in the middle of ‘AKC’ is longer than the other letters, like an El Greco on an acid trip.”

The Waitress Had Freckles

12941294 views11 comment11 fav

He took a long, noisy sip from the glass of wine as he peered across the rim to see her walk by."Now SHE would never get our order wrong" he said to his two friends seated at the table with him.The two men looked at each other and laughed. It was obvious Johnny was…

Cumulo Nimbus

3737 views11 comment11 fav

Un-rhymed free verse

Ode to a Shopping Mall

763763 views11 comment11 fav

In 1609 Ben Jonson was hired to write a work in celebration of the opening of a new shopping mall.

You Are Now Leaving Czech Soil

703703 views11 comment11 fav

He leans forward across the cafe table, holding both of her hands, and tries to kiss her on the lips, but she pulls back, making him beg for it. Then she kisses the top of his downturned head. Beg for it he will, and she knows it. Now he

Your words.

805805 views11 comment11 fav

Your words are Ambien.

Chicagoo (from Swink literary journal)

14261426 views11 comment11 fav

When Kim handed me some of her husband’s condoms—“Here, use these”—out of one of their bedroom dresser drawers, could she sense the astonishment I was trying my best not to show?

ANYTHING FOR JOHNNY

10831083 views11 comment00 favs

After nine months, I was granted early parole...

Ophelia

10461046 views11 comment11 fav

Her ghost/kept coming back/to Hamlet

Digging In The Darkness

884884 views11 comment22 favs

I dig with no light to guide the aim of my shovel but the stars peeking through the trees which are fuller now then when you went away.

Josephine Skinny Jeans: Chapter 3

15121512 views11 comment00 favs

It's possible I was having an acid flashback or some kind of semi-conscious when I opened the door of #3.

A taste of competition

959959 views11 comment00 favs

We called him Mickey Habanero, because he could fill his mouth with the hottest food imaginable, the kind packed with the sort of heat that would melt the gums from the teeth of a novice, all without taking a drink of milk or anything else that would otherwise soothe the…

I am very few of the things I used to be

785785 views11 comment00 favs

Focusing on reflections of clear lines on scummed glass, reflexes not quite as fast as they used to be, seeing things but not clearly, straining, these muscles worn out servos, grunting, can't quite bring things together, but why do this to yourself. More pointless than…

~with every breath~

11051105 views11 comment22 favs

she goes jogging with the feet of an angel the sound of crunching leaves like wrapping paper torn open to reveal an expensive doll and the light in her mother's eyes.

Steven's Checks

850850 views11 comment11 fav

They used to send Steven a check in the mail every 2 weeks. It was the only thing he looked forward to, it was the only mail he ever got. When it stopped a month ago he thought maybe it was just a fluke, got lost in the mail, something like that...

Toy

661661 views11 comment00 favs

In the store, multi-color kites dance along the ceiling. And in the costume aisle, a young mother shows her daughter how to tie her shoe. “Bunny ears, around the corner…” Glass animals shine in rows on high shelves. A boy examines lengths…