Alphabetical stories

The Bob Fosse Dream

16711671 views44 comments11 fav

----- Original Message ----- From :< brokengopher@hotmail.com> to: Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 9:15 PM Subject: The Bob Fosse Dream Dawn, Last night I had this dream that I was going through Bob Fosse's things. NowI don't know…

The Body

855855 views11 comment11 fav

Well, it looks like I’ll be having a stem-cell transplant after all...

The Body in the Other Room

928928 views1717 comments1111 favs

I couldn’t parse the grammar of her body nor decode the secret softness of her neck.

The Body of a Cow

43784378 views55 comments1010 favs

It’s Halloween in veterinary school. The large-animal vet who is lecturing today on introductory nomenclature in bovine medicine is dressed in full Holstein uniform. His entire body is cloaked in white cloth, with black patches sewed on and a three-dim

the body that has the heat

851851 views33 comments22 favs

Dream, swan, dream of your woman, whenever you get hold of her. Problem after problem lets up under the grip you have. And conquest without plan is what you’ve added to the world. So, share your songs under wild silk, won’t you? I remember there was hel

The Bombs & Blood of Texas & Boston

10631063 views88 comments22 favs

Running into the fire, the smoke and the chaos; selfless first responders, innocent bystanders, and dedicated runners

The Bond Trader Goes Hunting

15971597 views1616 comments1313 favs

The Bond Trader begins his morning with coffee and a hit of LSD.

The Book

66736673 views2020 comments1717 favs

The woman returns from the store with an armload of books. She reads them quickly, one by one, over the course of the next few weeks. But when she opens the last one, the woman frowns in surprise. All the pages in the book are blank. Every single one.

The Book

10431043 views44 comments22 favs

The following is a true story, or rather it is a true experience from the story of my life. Some say that just because something happens doesn’t really make it “true”.

The Book

783783 views22 comments11 fav

“Are you comparing the communists with Hitler?” “Are you telling me there is no comparison?"

The Book Bindery

946946 views22 comments11 fav

In a mad tipsy leap you came up short and hard on the chipped stone counter Bruised and blue below the seams against the inside of your thigh. Your grand jeté a little too low, left you on the black floorboards Wincing in…

The Book Mind

13731373 views66 comments66 favs

The book mind, just like its namesake the book, is capable of movement only after its assembly: otherwise, it boasts no moving parts.

The Book of Punishments

14471447 views33 comments11 fav

"Not a fan?" Beth asks, feeling a sliver of happiness move through her. He furrows his brow. "Then what brings you here?" "I'm here to pick up girls," Steve says simply. "Want to hit the buffet table? Want to run away to Mexico?"

THE BOOK OF SUCH ~ a suite of poems

489489 views22 comments00 favs

A Being of Aether, who having appeared to me one morning, instructed me in the geometry of thorns. She seemed to be semi-infinite as her often melodious speaking voice was unimaginable in one direction and limited in another.

The Book You'll Never Read

10501050 views55 comments11 fav

THE BOOK YOU'LL NEVER READ CONTENTS This Is Not A Test In The Event Of A Nuclear Attack, This Message Will Be Followed By A Message From Your Local Civilian Defense Authority Fuck, The Radio Doesn't Work Trouble Shooting Radios The Top 40…

The bookshelf

765765 views33 comments33 favs

I grew up in a little red house filled with books. Both of my parents love to read, and the proof piled up in every room. Current books in the bedroom. Books from the last ten to twenty years in the living room and kitchen. Old books from their childhood and college days on…

The Bookshelves

890890 views44 comments33 favs

rows and sections of casually arranged selectionswell crafted but haphazardpretty objets d'art randomly placed as cluesto significant life moments and revealing preferencesmy mother was an interior designershe would have clucked her tongueher head cocked to the sideas she…

The Boot

956956 views22 comments33 favs

my crotch-heavy press of 'Yes.'

The Boss

909909 views22 comments00 favs

When I was eighteenI worked at a convenient storeAnd the owner was from PakistanAnd he dressed well and Smelled of cologneAnd owned two storesAnd was always going back and forthBetween the two of themHe had to make sure we were doingOur jobsAnd whenever some kid…

The Boss of Bosses

13101310 views77 comments33 favs

The one thing my father told me that I want to believe is true . . .

The Bottle

16881688 views88 comments55 favs

That bottle just sits there in the closet, next to the hats and a box full of old gloves. Years it’s been there. Try as we might, we never open it. We just don’t have a damn thing to celebrate. Who was it brought that bottle into our lives and went and ruined …

The Bounce

987987 views1212 comments1010 favs

I. Two cancer scares since June, one came up nothing the other nothing much. (My breasts are dense: I know all about moles— little bastards don't have to get sun to go nuts.) My manuscript travels ether to…

The Boundary Line

19731973 views22 comments22 favs

These things were indeed the wealth of our respective nations.

The Bowery Scene (Memoir, 1981; edited by Charlotte Curtis)

985985 views00 comments00 favs

It is easy to look out on the Bowery and say, "There are the bums." Encountering one, however, even one who asks to "bum a quarter" or tells you he's "on the bum" the word "bum" slips away in one's mind...

THE BOX

10621062 views11 comment11 fav

The Box

777777 views00 comments00 favs

It was just after lunch when they found the box.

The Boy and the Rest of His Life

852852 views00 comments00 favs

Many men ran about, some retreating fully and others digging in along side of me. Some of them without a shirt or helmet, but all with blood shot eyes. My brothers and I dug in hard and set our sights on our enemies.

The Boy at Feeding Time

13441344 views22 comments11 fav

My legs hung over the bed as I leaned over the food tray. Under my left arm was Adele, my toy cat. I wondered if the staff told the boy of my ritual of always feeding Adele first before I gave the spoon to myself.

The Boy from Thuringia

11871187 views22 comments11 fav

“The Boy from Thuringia” is part of a series of stories collectively called The History of Adoption. In it, a middle-aged man sets out rather obsessively to write a comprehensive history of the adopted child. In his attempts to finally begin this im

The Boy I Didn't Grow Up With

17001700 views1010 comments77 favs

I don't remember much before my brother moved out, but one thing that stands out in my mind was the bathroom we shared. He'd pull a stool up to…