Alphabetical stories

American Passage

858858 views66 comments66 favs

The moon, a cataract cloaked in its charcoal fog, slowly seeps among the trees; night's unguent.Its glance is constant and white,its arc known. I watch its brow of bone with constant wonder.The long, slow funeral of America is taking its time; its…

American Soul

777777 views22 comments11 fav

At one time it appeared that Everyone was walking their own angel On a leash, but Now we're not that sure at all And it could come out in song That it might really be the angels Who’ve been walking us All along All this broken glass

American Triptych

11621162 views1010 comments66 favs

It’s always fun and easy/ to punish the poor

Amiaivel

12491249 views00 comments00 favs

Once upon a time a queen was blessed with twin sons, which she named Nosch and Amiaivel.

Amish in the Theater of Lust

783783 views1414 comments77 favs

Through the Walmart parking lot they came...

Amma

686686 views22 comments00 favs

God love him, she used to say. you never noticed it much at the time because it is just something like a habit. a benevolent habit. around through the years and decades she went like that. God love him, she used to say, if she saw someone resting peacefully, of if…

Amoco Cadiz

14751475 views1414 comments1111 favs

She'd liked the name of the tanker. The Amoco Cadiz.

among American gods

328328 views33 comments22 favs

in dark recesses of this morgue of earth / where beauty of the good does not compel, / where evil's horrors seldom do repel— / Americ gods reign o'er from birth to birth.

Among the Missing: Family and War

486486 views77 comments44 favs

As Sebald says, I grew up in the shadow of war....

Among the Young Aesthetes

489489 views00 comments00 favs

I found him on the internet the other day, His air laconic, the beard now ashen grey.

Among Wild Things

15621562 views2020 comments1616 favs

It's not me I'm worried about, he said.

Amputee

24042404 views66 comments11 fav

He is my daughter's son and his father's worst enemy.

Amtrak

12081208 views77 comments22 favs

She had liked her new husband's sternness, and the way he ran his hands over her body, noticed every inch of it, made her feel not invisible.He traveled during the week, wore cufflinks, worked out in hotel gyms. On the weekends, they redecorated her house and tried to…

Amy-Loyd Plax

11921192 views1212 comments1111 favs

When I no longer know you, what signal will you give to remind me that you and I once loved?

An Absolute Doll

835835 views44 comments22 favs

“Oh, I shouldn’t complain, I guess, but she did tend to get a leetle bit too caught up in that Hindernet thing, but I suppose that’s something younger people do today. Why, she didn’t even hear me when I would ask her for something! Can you imagine?”

An Account of my Dwelling (for Kamo no Chômei)

11371137 views22 comments00 favs

[B]y fleeing the city to live on the outskirts of nowhere—a place so far off the beaten path that even Duras’s aging Mr. Andesmas would have felt isolated—I was of course trying to escape from none other than myself.

An Admirer Visits Paul Bowles

23132313 views3333 comments3030 favs

I dropped out of college and flipped a coin, a 1929 half-dollar, and decided if heads, suicide. If tails, a life of perpetual travel.

An Advent Cookie's Rumination

10511051 views33 comments11 fav

The sugar cookie sits on the cold counter. Alone. He is cut in the shape of an angel, a fact which often causes him to contemplate the possibility that he may not be a cookie at all, but an angel. Who says he couldn’t be?

An after-image, a ghost

414414 views33 comments22 favs

It was also witnessing the emergence into explicitness and clarity of everyone's expendability.

An Alphabet

947947 views44 comments22 favs

A daydreams about a woman whose name he’s forgotten next to B, who’s been drunk since afternoon.

An American Indian (in a Suit)

497497 views22 comments00 favs

An American Indian (in a suit) at the museum reception, eating pelican wing which looked like enlarged sections of older pulpy (pink) grapefruit When asked why he was eating this, he said that eating pelican wing gave you the ability to fa

An Ancient Symbol for Fire

19371937 views1010 comments66 favs

If you could look out to either side of you, you'd see the signs. Restricted Area, Danger Keep Out.

An Angel at Christmas

859859 views00 comments00 favs

Call it what you may but misfortune, bad luck, disaster, adversity and trials of different calibers can hit us at any time.We are human. We experience the ups and downs of life everyday. Out of a job, lack of money, health insurance and other luxuries that some people…

An Answer

465465 views22 comments22 favs

"Why?" is the question I ask, but no one is around to answer. What would an answer change anyway? But it is all I can do. So it is all I can do.

An Apricot the Size of a Heart

937937 views77 comments55 favs

I dreamt, said the Donkey, of an apricot. An apricot the size of a heart. …

An Argonaut Ethos

12651265 views77 comments33 favs

My daddy made all these gold records on the walls, died, and left me to run BadSmack Media, even if I could only manage to run it aground.

An Articulation of Blades

10031003 views55 comments33 favs

The new king hunted often. We heard her whirring above, the terrible whirring a forest of—, and she drifted over our city half dangling from the chopper, rifle barrel glinting.

An association game with the word 'guilt' (or how (not) to die inside)

992992 views55 comments22 favs

The past operates with incredible gravity. Powerful, efficient, deceptive. Thin, sleek cords sent out by it attach themselves to your back, your legs, your buttocks, the back of your head. Resist. Walk. One leg after another. Easy does it, like a baby. Do

An Attempt at Reconciling with the Non-Existent

880880 views55 comments33 favs

dealing with an over-aged imaginary friend gone rogue

An Earnest Prayer

13451345 views1111 comments1111 favs

It’s like faith. My battle buddy is out there, I know it, but I can’t see him, nor can I hear him. I just know he’s there, trusting he’ll do what he’s supposed to do, and he’s trusting in me.