Recommended stories

Beach Tale

853853 views11 comment11 fav

I should have worn shorts.

77 Words About Prowling At Whole Foods

781781 views33 comments00 favs

I prowl. You prowl. We all prowl.

The Friend

897897 views11 comment11 fav

She is walking to the café to meet her friend. Her friend is there already because she walked from where was getting her haircut. Her friend sent her a text message that said, “OMW” for…

Relative Indifference

12591259 views22 comments00 favs

The more indifferent he had become towards life, the more she had become towards him.

Of a Friend Whose Brother Died Young

774774 views33 comments00 favs

There was no logic to the thing; he’d left to drive his girl around. She had lived and he had died.

Yearning

857857 views11 comment11 fav

He’d've been up there belting out the hymns then bickering with the vicar after.

Last Minute Changes

4646 views44 comments00 favs

“This is what we'll do. We'll bury him so his body will never be found. How? That's the question.” Bob made another short, narrow lap around the trailer's living room slash kitchenette while unwrapping his sixth stick of Big Red gum and jamming it into his mouth…

In Memoriam

974974 views00 comments11 fav

One by one, cars filed into the cemetery, pelted by the summer rain under a gun-metal sky. The procession moved slowly, a series of brake lights and headlights, too close together, too far apart; there were sedans and SUVs, mini-vans and pick-up trucks, shiny new vehicles…

An Account of my Dwelling (for Kamo no Chômei)

11541154 views22 comments00 favs

[B]y fleeing the city to live on the outskirts of nowhere—a place so far off the beaten path that even Duras’s aging Mr. Andesmas would have felt isolated—I was of course trying to escape from none other than myself.

Battle of the Bulging British Bridesmaids

569569 views11 comment11 fav

A survey by “You & Your Wedding” magazine has determined that one in five British brides now requires her bridesmaids to sign contracts regulating their behavior and appearance.

Tingles

759759 views22 comments00 favs

Your steering wheel is hot.You don't feel it though, I mean,It tingles some but it doesn't have that crawling, stinging feelingLike the way you'd feel it if they hadn't called.Not the way other people in Arizona feel it.You don't feel you or her or anything in…

This love.

10031003 views11 comment11 fav

- Never in pain and distance - Frown on these moments, With bitterness and vain

Absinthe Drinking in a Bar in Paris

10921092 views22 comments00 favs

Half past six; already, through the gloom Saltwater flourish sifts from wharfs that ply Their play like girls that haunt the midnight's womb, As far it seems as walks of Barbary. Within the bar, French waitresses and sots Play dice with time awhile and rub…

Five Million Yen: Chapter 62

762762 views22 comments00 favs

She was wearing a robe, but her hip movement sent an ancient message.

She's Butoh (ELECTRIC DELIRIUM 1.4)

11281128 views00 comments11 fav

She overcomes herself on the day of the spectacle, clown paint, unmoving amid a rumble of trains and screens, video logs and snapshots, live blogs from phones wet with lotion. This is Tokyo. Facial masks. Bare flaking paint in streams. Stardust.

When Deer Attack

923923 views11 comment11 fav

Carla woke up from her hospital bed screaming. "Somebody please help me. Please save me. I am begging you."

The Mutes

495495 views44 comments00 favs

She was deaf, but he was not; they both could sign.

Split Streams Displace the Final Helical Index

756756 views11 comment00 favs

Split streams displace a spliced and shattered walkman with no connection of its dead batteries, projected into Styrofoam and plastic mirrors before hitting the brook water. Michael finds way, out of breath, eclipsed by an elm, his eyes visible with pupil

Session Fifteen

10021002 views00 comments00 favs

"That it was my stepdad's fault."

shakey

10541054 views22 comments00 favs

You held my hand when I hit the ground and told me the shakes would start soon.

Just Before the Funeral

834834 views11 comment00 favs

We had been on the way to the church when we found them. The handkerchief in my breast pocket was folded just so and I'd tried to recreate the perfect ribbon in Ashley's hair, …

Australia (from slushpilemag.com)

11371137 views11 comment00 favs

Now Ninalee gets up from the table. She starts to put some snacks in a bag for Janny and Benjie, and some storybooks in there too, to read to them in the park: books about trains, mostly, and there’s one with a bus and one with a car...

FIREWORKS

854854 views22 comments00 favs

It's eight fifteen in the morning, my favorite time to call, and a guy named Ernie DeCampo answers the door in his work pants and a t-shirt. “Good morning, Mr.De Campo,” I say. “Do you have any fireworks in your home?” …

Shedding the Skin of Past Lives

878878 views11 comment00 favs

I bow my head and shed the antlers of past lives I no longer butt heads with the universe but I miss my curse and can’t do worse I throw myself in reverse and rehearse the early scenes of science and my full meat diet that sent

Hanging

18771877 views22 comments00 favs

Hanging was back and thriving - twice a week at half seven in the evening.

My Period Blood.

17261726 views11 comment11 fav

[CAUTION: IF YOU ARE UNDULY "FIXATED" ON GOD, AMERICA, MOM, APPLE PIE, AND/OR BASEBALL ... YOU MAY WANT TO AVERT YOUR EYES!]

The Dummy Drop

820820 views22 comments00 favs

I looked at my now silent cell phone feeling like an idiot. Thad was standing next to me, that shit eating grin plastered on his face like gravy stains on an old shirt."So Genius Jones, what the fuck did he say to you?" asked Thad, sarcasm dripping onto the floor. "She blew…

Unintentional Hermits- Becky

874874 views11 comment11 fav

Suddenly she feels the urge to go, the TV lounge, with its flat Ikea furniture and black sofas where two young men glowering sprawl, is unknown territory. She can imagine those eyes, mouths, hands all over her. One of them looks up and there is an unspoke

A glimpse of death

730730 views11 comment11 fav

It all had to begin somewhere; some moment of time and space which arose in perfection- and dissolved into the now. It was a beginning he couldn't quite remember, couldn't grasp onto- it simply sifted through his fingers, sand floating away with the wind. That's not to say…

Longing For The Sea

10691069 views22 comments00 favs

The sighs of the nearby shore came to me through an open window.Wave after gentle wave caressed her broad, sand crusted skin. Mesmerized, I lay still.The in out sound of breathing now filled the room.Your warmth enveloping me like the satin…