Recommended stories

Waste

25002500 views22 comments00 favs

Roger's assigned route had him picking up medical waste at most of the plastic surgery offices in town. He smelled it on his skin by the end of the day. The plastic surgery places were less of a hassle than the hospital and worlds away from the free c

THE BOOK OF SUCH ~ a suite of poems

489489 views22 comments00 favs

A Being of Aether, who having appeared to me one morning, instructed me in the geometry of thorns. She seemed to be semi-infinite as her often melodious speaking voice was unimaginable in one direction and limited in another.

Jigsaw Magic

10311031 views44 comments00 favs

Bonnie envied all of those people who instantly forgot their horrible traumas: Jessica Lynch, the Central Park jogger. Their own brains rescued them. Bonnie's brain was not so generous.

Lawn

10811081 views33 comments00 favs

white-gray mounds persist

Old clothes, bread, cream and butter.

12321232 views22 comments00 favs

‘Just get out of bed,’ I reply. ‘It looks like the fairies have been at your head. You should turn your clothes inside out. Put out a biscuit. Ring a bell. Buy a rooster; or a recording of it crowing. It will keep the sprites at bay.

Six Quarters (from Grand Street literary journal)

11191119 views00 comments00 favs

Yes, my old uncle liked roses. Grew them. He had a way of smelling a rose—after he smelled a rose, you are surprised the rose is still there.

End of Daze

11681168 views00 comments11 fav

Be it a moment of zen, an epiphany, a vision, or even an ill-tempered chinese food inflicted dream, I've seen what's been shrouded carefully behind you… ahead of me.

Weeknights, Idling, Candlelight

933933 views22 comments00 favs

I find that I am keeping silent more often. I don't like repeating myself.

Under This Cover of Quiet

10821082 views22 comments00 favs

Originally published on Six Sentences:In a family of many hushed secrets, only so many years could pass before the cracks would begin to show, and usually started with the creative girls. Though her aunt had been dead for two years, Shifra knew the cracks the family…

At Sevens

944944 views22 comments00 favs

Originally published on Six Sentences:He walked out of the hotel lobby into the pre-dawn night and thought about another woman, a pretty Spanish woman, not the woman he'd just kissed in a hotel, and a night he'd spent with her in Portugal, wanting each other desperately,…

Relics

11661166 views33 comments00 favs

Theresa Esposito woke to the smell of pignoli cookies baking. The sweet scent made her stomach rumble. She was ten-years-old today. And she felt ten. Her hair, her ears, her eyes, her toes — everything felt ten.

You Have No Idea

961961 views11 comment11 fav

“I want you to face the toys!”

paper doll

895895 views22 comments00 favs

she covered me with down and kissed me good night, tucking in loose ends, whispering prayers... she cut me out of paper and blew me into life. she held the scissors near my neck in case i put up a fight. she covered me in clothes cut out of colored paper: polka dotted…

Inevitable break down

10981098 views33 comments11 fav

I went to a drum circle next night under the full moon in May, scotch broom and lilacs blooming. One does not inhale such aphrodisiacs without losing one’s balance. There were children of druids and pagans and stregas from lands over the sea, lands beyo

The Secret to Everything

393393 views11 comment11 fav

You were still holding yourself In your own arms, when I first found you You were so fresh No thunder had ever spoken your name No lightning lit up your veins I continued to have the feeling of you Between my dream muscles and my lack of s

A Death by the Sea: excerpt

13931393 views22 comments00 favs

I began to imagine the shadows, so rectilinear, were arcing and flowing. I saw shoulders moving, the sinewy upper shoulders of wolves running in a pack. . .

The several stages of grief

16351635 views22 comments00 favs

Robert was not in any sort of metaphysical or spiritual sense seeing himself, as in the scales falling from his eyes and seeing himself as he was. He was a long way from that kind of insight. He was literally seeing another himself.

Bravo, Scrittore!

12531253 views44 comments00 favs

I hadn't yet assembled enough pieces of Italian to explain any of this, but it was hardly necessary. The fact that I was a scrittore in a language foreign to her seemed to make me especially fascinating...

I'm Still Here

929929 views22 comments00 favs

During the night and in the fog of halfsleep Ben shifted and felt the weight of Miranda gone from him, the bed empty. In the quiet of the house he thought he heard a footstep and the soft shutting of a door, and as his eyes searched the dark he…

A Day At The Beach

10181018 views22 comments00 favs

Rothko and Stella loved the beach. To Jalapeno it was just one big litter box and for her it held no great appeal. She sprawled sunbathing on the dashboard lifting a lid occasionally to watch Lauren riding a wave. The dogs delirious with freedom romped and chased tight…

Two Lives

12121212 views22 comments00 favs

You don't know what it's like to be in the bed as a child and feel the air of fall enter your room and hear the dishes in the cabinets of your home rattle, their doors slammed by some drunk looking for a fresh bottle of liquor. The cool air sweeps over you like…

AUTUMN LEAVES UNDERFOOT

950950 views33 comments00 favs

Goodbye comes in stages. At first you recognize that you will “miss” someone when they are gone. Then you have to accept the fact that they are leaving. And finally accept the fact that they are gone; and not particularly in that order. If only it

Our Neighbors

12991299 views00 comments11 fav

It was with the departure of their last child that the Beazleys became grotesquely petty with each other.

entwined

907907 views11 comment00 favs

you and i exist outside of the chaos and noise entwined in eternal embrace

Bonsai

900900 views00 comments00 favs

Adam, now Eve-less, stood before his most exquisite Bonsai, wallowing in the miseries of youth.Seth Gall has had work published in China, Canada, and the U.S. His work has appeared in Word Riot, SmokeLong Quarterly, and Nanoism. He is S.H. Gall in decomP…

Blind Spots

787787 views11 comment00 favs

He was twisted...

Dormilona

905905 views22 comments00 favs

These fern-like weeds grow along the roads. “Watch this,” you say, bending down over a plant. The touch of your fingertip sets it recoiling, stunned–a fun, jungle trick you picked up somewhere along your way.

Parable of the Parabola

844844 views11 comment11 fav

I held the steam and scrubbed it. How do you do that? asked Willy. How do you scrub steam? It is so, you know, diaphanous. I said to Willy, because Willy was a good man and listened with both ears, we adapt to the heart's convulsions. I send my grammar to a…

The Great San Francisco Poetry Wars, 4

13481348 views44 comments00 favs

That night we slept on the floor of Kirk and Maggie’s apartment and listened to them arguing all night about art and life and love. Ah, me, I sighed, the sad soul of America! I thought of Walt Whitman. I thought of Allen Ginsberg.

Homage to Elizabeth Jennings

643643 views11 comment11 fav

Barred from hotel bars and restaurants because you drank too much, you won the prizes but seemed to disdain the people who gave them.