Recommended stories

Mr. Twitchy

15151515 views22 comments11 fav

I used to think the world was fucked and it was up to me and me alone to see it unfucked. That's really what I used to think, but I've been trying to work on that. It's not a particularly flattering characteristic I have. I'm trying to be more positive.

With Emily Dickinson as Walt Whitman Walks in the Bar

13741374 views22 comments11 fav

Oh no, here is that Whitman man I’ve heard he is a bounder. Don’t look his way or catch his eye- Just get another round, dear.

Helen Says (from FATHER MUST)

10421042 views11 comment11 fav

Masking. Helen says not to think of it as covering or disguising or concealing. Helen says to understand it is not to take it as something put up front and over like a mask. Helen says it’s not like that...

Suppose, I ask my friend

12611261 views11 comment11 fav

nothing has ever happened in this or that or any other or maybe too damn many parallel universes. . . .

Thanatos Collective

899899 views44 comments11 fav

the cocksucking of strategic death planning

Flipping Off People With Romney Bumper Stickers

13861386 views44 comments00 favs

“Hey,” I begin, a naughty smile breaking across my face before I can get to the punchline, “Want to drive around flipping off anyone with a Romney bumper sticker?” Kaleb chuckles and beams at me. It seems everyone likes a good girl turned naughty.

The Time of His Death

830830 views44 comments00 favs

…if something happened to you so horrible that you no longer felt like living, would it have been better if you had died at birth? Okay, that's probably too early. No reason to act in haste. Maybe you should die when you're eighteen years old, just before…

Film Appreciation

902902 views11 comment11 fav

“Shane, will you turn off the lights?” Jean asked. “Film really is much better with the correct lighting.” “I believe you,” Shane said while he switched off the lights, blanketing the room in complete darkness. The large TV on the…

The Unicorns, Part One

12041204 views11 comment11 fav

Later, your father stared, confused, at the empty spot where the wall paint layers ended in the shape of the old machines. He stopped coming in.

a little passion among them

745745 views22 comments11 fav

A reddening? A certain swelling, a little passion among them, is there? What lips would not have given what they could, to speak more boldly, more fondly of you now? But now the country is fastened to arrogance, welded to it in an evil way, wanton with violent…

Ya Ever Meet a Buckley? I Haven't.

967967 views11 comment11 fav

Who's that? I don't know. …

Professional Pizza Patter

953953 views44 comments00 favs

We all stared, somewhat shocked and mostly disgusted.

Sonnet VII

810810 views11 comment11 fav

Oh Triple-Crownéd who evades my sight,/ Guide me down proper crossroads in this life/ As you have promised to grant me your might/ And make of me eternity's fair wife.

Long Night, Hard Night

852852 views11 comment11 fav

It had been a long night, a hard night. The sky had been filled with blackened clouds, patters of wind snapping and whipping like a pirate's flag hung at full mast. Rain beat…

Josef, Boy from Brazil

964964 views55 comments00 favs

I noticed his pistol before his pissbag and I knew then that failure not only had a face but a balding head, too

Running Out of Gas on the Highway of Love

932932 views44 comments00 favs

“When I get like this? What about what you get like this? If you know my answer you know you look like my answer. Otherwise, how would you know my answer?”

The Spirit Upwelling

17351735 views11 comment11 fav

Too late, I feel a bite under my left heel, but before I can look, I blunder into Robert and Paul rolling across the bedroom floor. They knock me over like a bowling pin, and I grab Robert’s hands and try to pull them from around his father’s neck.

Spring

879879 views33 comments00 favs

We fall through two feet of clouds and dragons before we land softly on our feet in clover and crab grass.

Shadow of a Bone

879879 views22 comments11 fav

...the shadowy Samantha sitting up in bed...

Jenny Whistled Through The Mail Slot

10411041 views22 comments11 fav

We all thought, Birds! We all thought, Nests inside the chimney!

Poetry Hour at the Regional House of Pancakes

924924 views33 comments11 fav

The waitress appears and Fred gives her a big smile and th3 once over. It's no wonder he's had so many women in his life while I've . . . uh . . . read a lot of books.

A meditation on mint tins

958958 views33 comments00 favs

And I am reminded of river eyes: The summer we slumbered, Like mummies in the sand

A Storm A-Brewin'

925925 views11 comment11 fav

"I'm just saying," the older man continues, "We oughta be ready in case she hits." "We'll be fine," the woman says. "We've weathered every storm that's ever come through here just fine."

Holden Caulfield and his Crummy Band

661661 views33 comments00 favs

Holden Caulfield starts a band call Crummy He’s jumping around the stage swearing at everything, every damned thing in his oversized raincoat that he never ever takes off for any reason including when there’s the slightest possibility of having sex

The Body

876876 views11 comment11 fav

Well, it looks like I’ll be having a stem-cell transplant after all...

Max & Julia

956956 views44 comments00 favs

I heard the basketball hitting the pavement in the park across the street, right outside our window... I heard it every day in an evenly spaced rhythm, as if it was keeping time, like a metronome on my life...

Practice Questions: Grade 7

821821 views33 comments00 favs

When the deer did come, I couldn't shoot straight. I didn't feel scared, but I didn't want to miss and my hand was shaking. I hurried. I held my gun pointing out at the path and fired. But it went a little wild and instead of taking the deer down, I shot

Insomnia

11781178 views11 comment11 fav

They sit, they create, they watch.

Always / Never

836836 views11 comment11 fav

"... A set of vertebrae disintegrate and a woman falls face first into her dinner plate."

Yuppies Fight Callous Image With "Tap Your Laptop" Day

564564 views22 comments11 fav

"When I knocked my laptop over,” he says, "four years worth of muffin crumbs shook loose on my desk. It got me thinking about those less fortunate than me.”