Recommended stories

Y.

16241624 views33 comments22 favs

We are the generation who tattoo our stories on our bodies, who pierce what appears impenetrable; we fly our scars like pennants.

2011

995995 views33 comments11 fav

This year, 2011, you bring about my thirtieth year. I'm apprehensive about this, but mainly because my father made me watch "Logan's Run" as a kid...

A Political Man

830830 views22 comments22 favs

There's a potent multimedia declaration Flying eagles starred and striped Mocking cartoon independence Where every promise shines Not every veteran's hero Chequered drug misuse Glorious public relations Concealed a…

My Latest Failure

11461146 views22 comments22 favs

Jason, the obnoxious host, thrusts his microphone against my nose.

Scoop

13021302 views55 comments11 fav

“What about the other groups coming here?” I ask. “Were they asked what they wanted in these houses?” She turns and looks at me, like I've suddenly come onto her radar.

Snow

11581158 views77 comments11 fav

She talks about window treatments, how the place is maybe too much for one. Wants me to know she’s not much of a cook, and wants me to smell what’s in her oven and compliment her cooking anyway.

Beautiful Plague

12251225 views77 comments11 fav

Jacob Obrecht, you are beautiful. Everything inside your head and everything you’ve ever made is beautiful and singing.

What the Other is Thinking

952952 views55 comments11 fav

Six months passed and the lovers decided speaking was no longer a necessary component in their relationship. They did this over breakfast, delicately spooning pink triangles of grapefruit into their mouths. Not a word spoken.

The Window

11581158 views44 comments11 fav

Just beyond the tree, beyond the fence, close to the grey clouds that hung almost to the earth, a boy sat on another tree's stump. Beneath his crossed legs that he moved up and down rhythmically, under his bright red, Superman shorts, inscribed in the stump, a symbol which…

Tidbit

10101010 views22 comments22 favs

By dawn, she is ready to hunt.

Loose Lips Sink Ships

17381738 views11 comment22 favs

I asked the Eskimo if he'd ever seen a vagina before. “Because I can show you,” I whispered. Albert Huffman, a recent arrival to Hamden via Alaska, was not, in fact,…

Turkey Day

949949 views22 comments22 favs

Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house they went, Will and his new girlfriend Emma from Atlanta for the annual family dinner and drunken disaster in Allendale.

October Days

952952 views22 comments22 favs

The first days of October are ordinary in the way that milk just hours away from spoiling is ordinary milk. You can baptise your cornflakes with it, but part of you knows the whole thing is just shy of almost right.

My Fictional Tormenter

15211521 views55 comments22 favs

Having a single blurb on your book cover is like having a single friend in grade school. So I lied.

Convoluted Title

886886 views44 comments11 fav

She came to him with her arms open and a smile on her face; the kind of smile that assured him everything would be fine. He longed for that smile for months now; seeing her wearing that smile that he…

The Saurians' Revenge

16591659 views55 comments11 fav

I’ve never liked birds. There’s something smug about the way they look at us, we prisoners of gravity, something self-congratulatory in their songs. Maybe I’m just projecting my own feelings about being stuck on the ground, attributing attitudes t

For The Sea of Pill

12881288 views11 comment22 favs

In his dreams, he swam in piles of pills. Sometimes the piles were infinite, other times the were contained, tonight the pills were intense shiny reds, chalky yellows, deep blues and matte purples and swirled around in a children's inflatable castle. Derek swam happily,…

O Saddam!

17531753 views11 comment33 favs

Saddam Hussein was a street-side seller of hot nuts near Faneuil Hall. He worked undercover there during the last Gulf War until just after it, as the US slagged the Iraqis. If only they'd known while they video-bombed his underground bunkers and chased his doubles that…

Bandits in the Afternoon Rain

14721472 views1010 comments00 favs

Somewhere there are fires burning in oil barrels, ragged homeless men warming torn-mittened hands―one day I'll be with them.

Non-Self: Light, Dark

11411141 views44 comments11 fav

You gather their faces in the palms of your hands and their purple eyes blink, blink, unseeing.

Apple

54615461 views11 comment22 favs

Madeleines, which he hadn’t touched in twelve years, had a place in all this, were accessories in his daughter’s violation.

IV

974974 views55 comments11 fav

For those of you who come quickly as darts in black atmosphere, a bittersweet half. I'd like to be forgiven, for these thoughts which racket my insides, a tennis ball of occupancy. This yielding of song: a sip: sorting my business through the shield. No way of bartering the…

Criminals

13791379 views44 comments11 fav

What about the goons? Those criminals thwarted and left for dead in every action movie for the past thirty years. I'm sure at least a dozen survived the slaughters. I'm sure at least one or two came out if it reformed. This one who quit working for Columbian drug smugglers…

wintering

10121012 views22 comments22 favs

a name is what you are, and a name is a wall between. one day let me be earth, so you may be allowed to say you love me. for now i am separate. i'm afraid that's how i will die, and …

Once There Was a Way to Get Back Home

20792079 views55 comments11 fav

I should have covered myself with leaves. I should have wandered farther from the path.

Oblivious

11531153 views33 comments11 fav

It was cloudy, the way he liked it -- no baking in the sun. People passed occasionally. He sniffed at the joggers, “Health Nuts,” he dubbed them. He hadn’t exercised since his last high school gym class.

Thirteen Random Things I Learned About Jon Stewart From "Angry Optimist: The Life and Times of Jon Stewart."

11591159 views33 comments11 fav

Jon Stewart factoids!

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

10961096 views55 comments11 fav

It starts with a letter, down the back of the couch, ending, ‘love, always.' I read only the kisses aimed at me - a firing line running off the page. How long has that letter hidden there? It secreted itself in a corner of the house…

What Hands Can Do

21232123 views11 comment22 favs

I can't remember the last dog I spayed. It's possible that one of the techs gave her a dose of preansethetic in her cage before I came in, so that when I met her, she was already a little…

Animals, Animals, Animals

14461446 views11 comment22 favs

  Crea grew up above a pet store and now she dreams of cats. There are too many of them to name, a slinking mess of calico, tabby, tortoise-shell, black and white. There are more each night. They whisper to her, words made of hissing mewls. During the…