Recommended stories

Three Network News Ledes on the Death of Jimmy Buffet

13481348 views44 comments11 fav

“He spent four lonely days in a brown L.A. haze, and now Jimmy Buffet is dead.” —Brian Williams, NBC Nightly News “Jimmy Buffet—beloved parrot-head singer-songwriter—has given up his search for that lost shaker of salt. He…

Ink Darkly the Painted Seasons a1 s01-2

13971397 views44 comments11 fav

So long I have journeyed a poverty-stricken fugitive seeking shelter, and know rest only in the hollow of your hands.

An Unlikely Rapture

12731273 views33 comments22 favs

Chills begin on my hand where his cool lips meet my skin and ripple through me. I try to focus on the road and cock my eyebrow. “Not bad for a 15-year-old.”

Last Stop

966966 views44 comments22 favs

So we stayed on the train admiring the time.

Sometimes You Wait.

13441344 views11 comment11 fav

Sometimes you wait by the mailbox and he doesn't come. It doesn't come, the letter, the talisman from another world you've been waiting for, and you give up. You finally open…

of love and death

820820 views33 comments22 favs

- I wish I were taller. - You also wish I never die.- What´s your point?- Santa Claus must really hate you.------ What´s the most ridiculous thing someone´s ever asked you?- Please never die. - But you promised!------ I just want to go to sleep, I´m…

2

10511051 views22 comments22 favs

He sits in the best chair and it collapses so he unfolds himself up like a mechanical shadow and sits in the second best chair.

The Road To Baghdad

14721472 views88 comments11 fav

In late summer 2000 Dick Cheney held a secret strategy meeting in a hunting lodge deep in the hills of southeastern Wyoming. It was Cheney's own place, bought with the money he'd ripped from the trough with both hands through decades of what…

Marry That Girl, Solly

12031203 views44 comments22 favs

He had thought of the walk down to Mrs Greensmith’s shop when he and all the men beside him reckoned they’d “had it” that time when II SS Panzer-Division had fought like gods for Hill 212.

A Philadelphia Story

10141014 views44 comments22 favs

In the summer of 1963 I went to Philadelphia to study with a member of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Ordinary People

15631563 views11 comment33 favs

While I didn’t like to see Courtney swat smokes out of his mouth and admonish him, saying “Cigarettes. Bad. Fire. Bad,” her home was such a beautiful place, with its real wood and two TV and all...

Internet Hole (an excerpt from Psychopomp)

12171217 views11 comment11 fav

Seventeen-year cicadas are the sometimes-singers that surprise spring with the ugliest mouths of all.

Dear Lieutenant General Fred

15561556 views44 comments22 favs

But I am delighted to inform you that through our computer added softwareness, YOU have to been chosen as our Nigerian contact for the transfer of fundage used to research global warming. How ‘bout them apples?

Frog Kissing

12111211 views44 comments22 favs

All right, so the frog I risked my lips on (not to mention the contents of my stomach) . . . .

Tipping The Balance Sheet(The Feet Within the Beat is an Old Battered Hat By Now and Don't You Just Know It!)

838838 views33 comments22 favs

o

Tails

10891089 views88 comments00 favs

"I found a dead bunny one morning. This was about three weeks ago. Its tiny round pom-pom of a tail was missing."

Can't We All Be Writers?

10601060 views33 comments22 favs

Why not just self-publish on Fictionaut and be read by thousands of my peers? Why not release my cherished work directly to my thousands of Facebook or Twitter or blog friends? Can the budding writer that I am realistically expect a larger audience?

Dream of the Sea

924924 views33 comments22 favs

I knew there was something wrong with the sunset when I woke up.

zygomatics

11251125 views44 comments22 favs

i saw a sign and it read A PERSON THAT IS MEAN TO THE WAITER IS A MEAN PERSON i thought of you with your high cheekbones, the sense of entitlement unparalleled, the superiority complex that hid much you had a gig and it had probably…

On the Way To

10111011 views22 comments22 favs

Robbie’s wrists itched hard, the cord was sunk in so tight his hands were bordering now on blue, now purple. Too late to matter.

Every Morning There's the Breast

658658 views66 comments11 fav

Every morning there’s the breast and the nipples of ecstasy It is not the spider’s fault that it is mesmerized by the web Blame nature, blame God Doesn’t the alley cat automatically know how to howl? Don’t blame me if I am addicted t

Cougar

10791079 views33 comments11 fav

What follows is one of those moments, though to some people, it would seem a fantasy, perhaps a "Wizard of Oz" era tale.

Looking Back On the Night That the Easy Went Under

10631063 views33 comments22 favs

Where were you the night Katrina destroyed New Orleans? Oh, what a night... A week later, most of the city was still underwater, with hundreds or thousands of folks presumed dead, and tens of thousands…

Feast of Sacrifice

12291229 views55 comments11 fav

I'd have gone even if I got F's for the entire two weeks. The homeless would have homes, the sick, medicine; the hungry would eat. They could not wait for the generosity of Kurban Bayramı. Now was the hour of relief. The children's eyes. Lambs whose bl

CHAIN

979979 views33 comments11 fav

I awake to find a heavy chain shackled around my ankle. I try to remove it but cannot. The length of the chain runs through my apartment, sometimes coiling around itself, but eventually leading out my front door.

Spiral

681681 views66 comments11 fav

When collapse is a wave that curls the floor under itself I give myself to it

My Yogurt Jones

961961 views33 comments22 favs

And so began my love affair with a thick, semisold substance. Sort of like Mary Van de Velde, the chubby girl who was my partner in my 6th grade polka troupe.

Memories of the Beach

789789 views99 comments11 fav

The smell of Coppertone Suntan Lotion always brings back memories of the beach. I remember you rubbing it on my stomach and you kept moving lower and lower. I had on a bikini bottom (very daring) and you rubbed your finger all along the rim of it just a

Return to Porthfeddon

978978 views33 comments22 favs

Once upon a time he'd thought her as cold a fish as her aristocratic husband

Under My Skin

971971 views44 comments22 favs

Story of my life: I was ready for a nightcap and she was just beginning her night.