Recommended stories

Rabid Atween Da Erz

15821582 views44 comments22 favs

yoo evva kizza rabid atween da erz? end chee siz NO end din yoo siz yoo wanna kizza rabid atween da erz? end chee siz OK end yoo pull yoo

Starting from Scratch

11521152 views33 comments22 favs

Each time his eyes closed, he shook off the sleep, whimpered, and opened them wide again. I’d never watched a baby fall asleep before, but I realized at that time that falling asleep could be a scary thing. The world gets fuzzy and starts slipping awa

Buck, naked

10551055 views88 comments11 fav

Buck, naked, has no words. The best he can manage is a dopey strangulated cough. His wife, who is clothed, stands before him, next to the waterbed that took Buck half a day to force into the trailer.

The birds who coo

14891489 views55 comments22 favs

My mate and I are owned, but have freedom to take to the endless sky.

A Night Ride With the Girl Scout Legbreakers

16321632 views66 comments22 favs

It’s two o’clock in the morning, and I’m lying in bed, wide awake, drenched in sweat. I know what I need–a Thin Mint cookie–but I don’t know where I’m gonna find one.

Sacred

12771277 views66 comments22 favs

"What the fuck are you looking at, Carl?" She snaps, turning her head toward me as the truck edges off the road and into a field of tobacco, into those broad green leaves of ancient sacristy and modern ablution. This is not a blissful kind of field. It is not full…

Stones

13051305 views55 comments33 favs

Henry and I had met at the hospital. He'd been forty years my senior, but we'd been in for precisely the same reason: kidney stones.

Kintsukuroi

977977 views22 comments22 favs

The scared woman, she hides her flaws from the world.

On Living in New York City in 2009, After Watching a Documentary on New York City in the Late 1800s

12691269 views44 comments22 favs

God's honest truth, I wake up every morning when my clock punches out its dulcet, insistent clangs, a setting called Ultra Zen Up & Out. I brush my teeth with a blue dollar store toothbrush and watch one of the five morning TV shows designed to let me know the weather…

Grand Theft Auto (a true story)

11631163 views33 comments22 favs

He took the car out into the middle of Nowhere, Mexico, and drove it at top speed, off-road for a day and a night. I am talking strut-breaking, axle-wrecking, wheel-bending, paint-peeling conditions and balls-to-the-wall, testosterone-drunk driving.

Self-possession

10241024 views33 comments22 favs

Self-possession. He had it. In his arctic white t-shirt; blonde haired, broad shouldered, unburdened. “I will make you love me,” he had said, in a bar.

We Must Save Ourselves

10071007 views22 comments22 favs

We Must Save Ourselves I'm looking for my savior on subways, Is he this man pushing half himself On a skate board, from car to car, Singing I have no Legs, I have no Legs, I'm looking for my savior in coffee shops Of…

"You Go"

16041604 views44 comments22 favs

You like your life. Ducks march in a row. You've reached a certain age but you're strong. Healthy. You've got food, clothing, shelter. You have insurance and important papers. You don't have a man in your life, and you admit— Admit nothing. The…

Albert's Mother

13901390 views44 comments22 favs

The stern tone of the chairwoman made him miss his mother, the snap of her accusations, the sting of her belt on the backs of his legs.

Topsy the Elephant

19191919 views44 comments22 favs

The handler found Topsy as docile as a woman being fitted for a shoe.  Each time he tapped his cane against her ankle, she lifted her foot and held the pose, allowing him to dip his sponge into a bucket and pull it wet across the thick ridges of her skin. It was…

Circles

284284 views33 comments22 favs

IA promised land so tiny, one that rests upon a pin, knows only death as theory, knows only sleep as sin. Disregard the deluge of that which never is, is the nothing that is hers the nothing that is his? Let us go to Venus, pretend that it is …

3 Poems Of Broken Hands And Lonely Drones

991991 views11 comment11 fav

another lonely drone holding still

Reverse Order

13081308 views55 comments22 favs

Robert wants so badly after reading a book where a man wakes up as a bug to wake up as a bug. He researches the avenues of metamorphosis where science has been where it is going. He is disappointed that of all things science has turned into other things, none…

BABY MOUSE

12421242 views22 comments33 favs

BABY MOUSE She and the baby squeeze into the neon blue star-studded rocket ship in front of K-Mart, a tight fit because the baby's still inside her and the ship is made for under ten year olds and the steering wheel dents her stomach and the baby backs up and…

THE GIFT

15221522 views77 comments11 fav

If you run into my Aunt Lucille, put your head down and keep walking. She knows when a person is going to die. She knows when a fatal disease is heading your way and she doesn't keep it to herself. She told my best friend, Mary Lou Pierce, don't bother

Digging Up Bones

12761276 views33 comments22 favs

So I'm digging, clawing the black earth, disappearing in its ore and shadow.

I'm In Love With Mr. Yippee!

11661166 views22 comments22 favs

“Why is there a gigantic sex toy sitting on your dining room table?” Mark asked recently. “That's not a gigantic sex toy,” I said. “It's a Wahl Hot & Cold Therapy Massager.”“Which is?” “An Advanced Pain…

Splitting

693693 views22 comments22 favs

The promise felt heavy in my chest, made it difficult to breath. It was scary to set out to change something that felt so engrained into my own wiring, in my ability to survive & cope in the world.

Ode to my Mojo

549549 views22 comments22 favs

Hey Mojo!Where'd you go?I didn't realize you were goneuntil I noticed I had lost the springin my step.I was knocking myself against walls.I was tripping over the dog.I was petting myself.I was alone in a roomwith no music and only a Picassopainting staring back at me.What a…

Junctions / Decisions

976976 views22 comments22 favs

Next to you, the mother tightens her grip on her stroller. The young teenager tears her gaze from her mobile phone for an instant.

A Record Setting Year

863863 views33 comments22 favs

it felt fucking awesome at that moment, in that way only little things can feel huge and life affirming

black friday

11361136 views33 comments11 fav

She is laughing, watching me spit out a mouthful of seaweed. It's a soft kind of laugh: small gasps between small sounds of her eyes closed, curling with the corners of her mouth. Her left eye curls a little less, closes a little more than it did when she laughed a year…

Spare Parts

837837 views22 comments22 favs

Breaker's Yard Blues!

The Secret of Big Sur

115115 views55 comments22 favs

When you sit long enoughthe low-lying scrubbegin to swaynot with the windbut of their own volition.It takes timefor them to trust youWhen you sit long enoughthe tree top brancheswelcome waves of fogand gently pushthe mist inland.It takes timefor the cloud-tide to rise.When…

Anxiety

701701 views22 comments11 fav

Scenes of anxious