Recommended stories

We Shall Not Go Unheard

333333 views33 comments22 favs

I am human, I am no piece of meat.I am (womb)an.I stand on my own two feet.I move my own arms and legs.I do not scramble eggsnor do I wait for the telephone to ringfrom possibly potential datesdesperate for my affections,none of them remotely worthy.Independent am I. …

Wipe Your Feet at the Door of Sex

21442144 views44 comments33 favs

Jackson ran his sweaty hands over his vintage cowboy shirt hoping testosterone would iron it.

Hundreds of Hefner Girlfriends Lost, Feared Dead

14861486 views99 comments11 fav

I've come to the Playboy Mansion on a mission of mercy. Hugh Hefner, my good buddy, has just lost two girlfriends in a single day!

Winsome Mshindi

11171117 views55 comments22 favs

The cold and the ice’ve really stoked a fire in those old bones of his. He runs with the gait of a racer, front legs straight out—each extension producing a crack like Jack London spitting into the cold...

Packing

10661066 views44 comments22 favs

I left Iowa in august when the air was thick and sticky. I had been there three years minus a few days when the boy I'd been sleeping with packed almost everything I owned into my car and waved goodbye. In Baltimore I had few friends and a job teaching English at a…

An Absolute Doll

848848 views44 comments22 favs

“Oh, I shouldn’t complain, I guess, but she did tend to get a leetle bit too caught up in that Hindernet thing, but I suppose that’s something younger people do today. Why, she didn’t even hear me when I would ask her for something! Can you imagine?”

Banging My Head Against the Garage Door of Religion

13091309 views44 comments22 favs

The villagers smash in a garage door with their heads, causing some to bleed from the ears and mouth.

Sanguine

965965 views44 comments22 favs

Gripping the sink, head bowed, I let the blood gather on the rim of my nose, pooling for a moment, before its fleeting journey towards the basin.

Buster

785785 views11 comment22 favs

I should care more.

If I Was a Bum

909909 views55 comments22 favs

If I was a bum I’d risk everything For a drink or a smoke. I would beg and curse and steal If I was a bum. If I was a bum I would cuss out the Pope. I would not vote for anyone Because I would know truly They’d be telling gross lies.

Marie - the Waif

12261226 views33 comments22 favs

Just let anyone else lay a finger on me or say the wrong thing when Victor is around... He is very protective. I am only to be beaten by him.

No One Is Listening

11041104 views33 comments22 favs

Bum on a Parisian stoop begging with his big Jackson Pollack bare head in the rain The water running in streaks all over his brain reminding him of a painting he once thought of Man standing outside a bar talking to his own reflection

A Little Evil Will Do You Good: Kansas City Jazz

13401340 views55 comments22 favs

When the Borgias ruled Italy they had murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love and 500 years of democracy, and produced the cuckoo clock.

Folk Music Returns to Roots, But Some Try to Keep Them Buried

11311131 views33 comments33 favs

“Sandy likes the way Bob spanks, when he’s done she gives him thanks."

a supermarket horror story

10271027 views22 comments22 favs

stoned,/ i made the mistake/ of walking to the store across the busy street/ to find myself in the middle/ of the pep-up/ for a basketball game/ or something like that.

New skin

12281228 views22 comments11 fav

For ten minutes I would have to sit perfectly still on the edge of her bed, thinking of Road Runner and the Flash and wishing I could do anything but sit there with my feet in warm, foamy water.

Dreamphone Sleepover

13091309 views44 comments11 fav

Cassie cradles the loaf-sized phone – pinker than any girl – and dials. he's not wearing a hat says the phone and we all scratch our pencils on the boy-list.

Beer, for my Gravediggers

970970 views33 comments00 favs

It's cheap beer, but cold you welcome that rushing hiss and the following long drink of chilly wetness washing away the parched, dust dry, cotton mouth of grave-digging in the desert sun

Untitled Haiku from Japanese Game Show by JANEY SMITH

10101010 views11 comment11 fav

It's a haiku. It's its own snippet.

The Book You'll Never Read

10691069 views55 comments11 fav

THE BOOK YOU'LL NEVER READ CONTENTS This Is Not A Test In The Event Of A Nuclear Attack, This Message Will Be Followed By A Message From Your Local Civilian Defense Authority Fuck, The Radio Doesn't Work Trouble Shooting Radios The Top 40…

Sonnet Nought

16081608 views33 comments22 favs

Miraculous tarantulas, and octopii, have many limbs akimbo, Two have you: and they are better than be kept in zoo. Thine eyne are like the marbles that my youth had held in limbo, ‘Cept even better yet, for they are fairly lashed and greeny-blue. Your…

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 45

790790 views44 comments22 favs

Rent yourself a decent place to live, one with a shower.

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 20

883883 views33 comments22 favs

Elaine Aster paced her office trailing a cloud of smoke of cigarette smoke.

Kim Chow Click Click

10131013 views22 comments22 favs

Ok American dogs. Here my first story I wrote when I only two days old! Then evil moderator delete me and story go away. Now I three days old. I try to remember.

A Documentary About Sharks

14871487 views77 comments11 fav

As I lean over the chrome rail and look at the floor on the street level of the mall, I ask myself a question. If I was to fall, I wonder if it would be better to land and lie there with my eyes open or closed. Closed, I decide, would make me look like I was at peace, open…

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 55

802802 views44 comments22 favs

The rising sun was hidden from his eyes by the hips of the woman next to him in the bed.

robin

816816 views22 comments22 favs

(v 1: I picked up a robin yesterday. It was red and puffed and in the middle of the road in front of the car on the way to the grocery store. I put on the brakes and turned on the flashing red light to signal my stop. I picked the bird up and moved it to the side of the…

1980, What I Wanted

11021102 views55 comments22 favs

Not to...Witness such sufferingWatch as a life fades awayReceive the callAttend this funeralBe surrounded by well meaning family and friendsStand by helplessly as my father sobs in his brother's armsNotice the pain settle in my brother's eyesSee my grandparents' tortured,…

Mores

12861286 views33 comments22 favs

I like my men like I like my wine: in a box.

Fill In the Void

759759 views55 comments22 favs

I’m not in the habit of just hanging out on the corner handing out “free stuff,” you know. I figured it was going to cost you. But I was wrong. It cost me instead. You can only float near the ceiling when you’ve become an emptied vessel. No hope or