Recommended stories

Satellite Dish (from The New Yorker)

11651165 views22 comments22 favs

Just as one thing I say is “Don’t worry about me,” one thing I think is that you love somebody by living with them...

The Blueberry Man

943943 views33 comments22 favs

It was a Thursday. That's when I found out about the blueberries. Those precious, round little wonders, now forever untouchable.I left the note on the ledge of the balcony, taped down so it wouldn't fly away.It was going to come to this, eventually. After…

Red Sky at Night

10591059 views44 comments22 favs

Floating in liquor only to drown the next morning.

The barbarian at the gate, a work in progress

14041404 views44 comments22 favs

I may even invite the little man, who lives in the closet, to come out and visit me: Come over here, pleasure me, let me sit on your pink latex face.

Catch & Release: Dog Person Depression

856856 views33 comments22 favs

Instead, I get things like, “Why can’t you find a nice man with cancer or a bum leg?”

Michael & The Reaper

13171317 views11 comment22 favs

That sound. Bone against bone. Skin across skin. Blood fraying into the unknown dark. He loved that sound.

John on the 9th

788788 views22 comments22 favs

"Excuse me. I believe you have a little something falling from your right nostril there," he said, pointing with his pinky.

The World’s Food Shortage Problem is Solved with My Insect-Enlargement Gun!

749749 views44 comments11 fav

People of Earth, a better tomorrow has come. I’m near bursting with pleasure to report that the global community needn’t worry any longer about food shortages and famine and the like. Why? My patented insect-enlargement gun!

Gather Round

658658 views44 comments22 favs

When they first brought me home, I was their pride and joy. Then, one day, they put me in this wooden box.

Gastro Ad Astra

11141114 views33 comments33 favs

He had a simple dream: He wanted to become a star, and not one of those tv stars because those die, those die all the time, and before dying they usually become terrible shadows of their former selves, vile creatures who exploit their own former glory...

Clearing

13331333 views22 comments22 favs

Forty years is a very long time to live with someone.Ellen stood motionless at the curtainless kitchen window, staring at the autumnal woods, looking for signs of the various animals that frequented her property. She had done this every morning and every evening since Jim…

The Fish, the Fisherman, and the Sea

11481148 views44 comments11 fav

My father is remarkably clever. That is, for a rundown, henpecked fisherman. He has caught me again. He has me slung over his back in a rickety lobster trap and I can hear him huffing and the water in him sloshing and though I can't see his face, I imagine it is ruddied…

The Lioness For Real

997997 views44 comments22 favs

you happen to me like motorcycle tricks

Should Have Gotten Delivery Instead

11721172 views33 comments11 fav

My mind raced at the endless possibilities one could die while driving to get a pizza.

B.U.N.N.I.

921921 views33 comments22 favs

Then I see her walking down the grass aisle: my assignment. She looks nothing like the image I have been trained with, but her identifier is strong.

Communion

769769 views33 comments22 favs

I dream empty, the wind blowing benzene blue. Shards of glass. Barbed wire. Bricks crushing flame into notions gone quick, never painless. Is it my blood? In my eyes. On my hands. Is it for you? I'm not sure where I'm walking here. Walking towards what from. Is it…

Private Red

10701070 views33 comments11 fav

Your favorite nickname existed only in the bright red cherry smoldering at the end of your smoke.

Blackout

11521152 views33 comments11 fav

The blackout lasted longer than anyone thought. From my fifth story window, the whole city seemed to shut down. I heard noises above me. How could it be?

What I Am

11651165 views33 comments11 fav

I am a happy cog

5 Things I've Learned After 5 Years of Reviewing Small Press Books and Writing 2 of My Own

950950 views11 comment22 favs

In today’s print-on-demand and digital world, there are unlimited avenues for aspiring writers to circulate their work, but deregulation and limitlessness often leads to chaos. Writers are more inclined to release unpolished work that fails to rise to the

Mockingbird, Mockingbird

942942 views33 comments22 favs

I remember when I first came to California, I heard a mockingbird sitting in a tree, calling out in the names of other birds. It was down in L.A. I was staying at my brother's house in San Gabriel and driving in every day to the campus at UCLA to go to s

The Year of the Cat

364364 views22 comments22 favs

And it is pouring cats and dogs on a California afternoonoff the corner of Sunset and Highland.Droplets of sorrow drip down our foreheadas our eyelashes bash back the rain.A woman hands us free tickets to the Merv Griffin show.The bus is about to leave without us.We take…

In Season

860860 views44 comments22 favs

He saw in her something fierce and wild and gently led her to his open palm...

Flash Gordon in Iowa

11001100 views33 comments11 fav

I will show you how, in the spring, the sidewalks here look like a crossword puzzle resting under a glass of lemonade,

Cato

895895 views44 comments22 favs

She was the clerk in the photography shop.

Frogs

11511151 views33 comments22 favs

The frog was splayed after its operation in the science lab, but not forsaken. He knew that his wife still loved him, even though he was in an advanced state of dissection. “Oooooo, Mdntf, let's hide under the table and touch tongues,”

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 27

921921 views33 comments22 favs

Bounder squirmed out of Francesco’s hands and ran into the kitchen.

It Takes Three Heartbeats For Me To Fall In Love

13431343 views33 comments22 favs

...and 55 words to tell you about it.

Yogurt

10081008 views66 comments11 fav

Later, you've hit that four shot espresso limit; you've snarfed down that too rich mushroom korma… gone before you tasted it.

Wolf Moon

815815 views22 comments22 favs

Keeper of the balance. Husband of the night.