Recommended stories

Mercury Unbound - 2

10311031 views88 comments44 favs

An infested, indifferent universe . . .

Carrion Flower

12511251 views55 comments44 favs

Jacabo gave the boy a can of beer with oxycontin and rat poison in it. He instructed the boy to drink and talk. Jacabo did this, fully aware that making ghosts was a costly enterprise.

Hotel Mechanics

969969 views55 comments44 favs

He switches to quantum mechanics and starts tinkering with his sleeve memorizing a theorem he'd figure out if he had the time for a deep breath, he takes a deep breath.

Double or Nothing

11291129 views33 comments44 favs

Wednesdays were humiliating. Third graders had to bring in twenty-five cents for class dues. If you forgot, the teacher would write your name on the board and it would stay there until you settled your debt. My family could afford the weekly quarter; the problem was…

Winter White

110110 views99 comments33 favs

She was seeing a new psychiatrist because her old one had died and she resented having to see any psychiatrists at all but needed medication for depression. This one was blonde, blue-eyed with a Russian accent. From the way…

The Rhythm of the Cows

12231223 views77 comments44 favs

A cow wanders onto a roof and falls through the skylight. It's a calamity, but such an innocent mistake. Mightn't you amble onto a rooftop once upon a full winter snow in Vermont?Another cow climbs a gravel mound in…

No Party, No Disco

717717 views44 comments55 favs

Ninety-nine to one would seem good odds

Wrong Number

13791379 views77 comments33 favs

The package arrived, delivered to her work as was her preference. She took it to the ladies room and sat on the lounge, carefully opening the box, removing the new black patent leather FMQs, pulling out the tissue paper stuffed into the toes and placing her well-worn…

Save the Spinning World

814814 views44 comments44 favs

or do we tickle each other's private stocks of fancy instead? I know which one I would choose, but so do you, and that's how the question's always changing places with the wrongheaded answer's velcro-lined vest, bullet to blasting…

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 3

11751175 views44 comments44 favs

It was like watching one of those vintage eighteen-frames-per-second films of someone trying to open a stuck umbrella.

Contours

734734 views33 comments44 favs

The oceans have no sides

Friend of Man

733733 views1818 comments00 favs

I don’t read. I don’t do the dishes. What am I? If I were more domesticated, I’d poop in the street. I’d lift my leg and pee on the bushes. I would chase after every ass in the hood and sniff them too. I wouldn’t fetch much. What am I? Wha

The Lonely Gaze of Men in Nightclubs

10201020 views55 comments44 favs

Quarts of philosophy may be transacted by semantic obstetrics.

Atom

851851 views55 comments44 favs

Devour my horror, embrace it as yours

Untitled

721721 views55 comments33 favs

I've always been a sucker for a pretty face. It's unreasonable sometimes. Yesterday, in the middle of nowhere was a house that might have seen better days in the dustbowl of depression era Oklahoma. Two Australian Shepherds launched from the rickety porch. It was clear…

Frederick (from Unsaid literary journal)

12441244 views66 comments33 favs

It started like this: just him saying, "Nice to meet you, Marie," and me, while I just said his own name back to him, at the same time thinking, "I want you to take me to a hotel room someday, Frederick. I think I’ll like the way you’d make me feel...

Music and Books

739739 views33 comments44 favs

You're all I've got to keep me company, but it's a very fine company. So familiar, and warm as any cold digital fireplace. I can tell you've got more in your story, but it doesn't make you happy. I really do not feel well today. Fun I wanted to…

Write power

987987 views44 comments33 favs

Write power like a purring kitten eyes wide without an idea of exactly how small he is.

Secrets of the Kama Sutra

14081408 views55 comments33 favs

“No names,” she said. “I am the mysterious woman, and you are the handsome stranger.”

Spider Bite

11901190 views55 comments22 favs

“You done done sumpin’,” the old man guessed, “Sumpin’ bad...”

Angelic

11231123 views99 comments33 favs

Remembering his body makes me think of Egyptian cotton sheets dried in the sun. He smelled crisp and clean even after sweating hard. His hair fell in golden spirals down his cheeks, his back, over his forehead, and captured light just like the gilded halos on…

When I Grow Up; Or, Why Teenagers Shouldn't Listen to Angst-Rock

11521152 views66 comments33 favs

rockstar, moviestar, literary supernova – burning out before all the planets are declassified.

A Fate Worse than Death

21802180 views44 comments33 favs

The abandoned body got up and left the room. It was just in time to greet his wife and daughter, who were just coming in the front door.

The Department of Lost Dreams

12751275 views44 comments33 favs

You would think that a department responsible for recovering readers from falling into the illusory realities of their books would merit an office in a less obvious state of disrepair.

The First Thing

626626 views55 comments44 favs

The first thing I realized I was hearing when I woke up from the land of nowhere was the brittle sounds of little frozen rods of rain crashing into the sliding glass porch doors relentlessly and cracking into tiny shards of split piles in…

Survival

977977 views66 comments33 favs

When nothing's coming in All I have are fragments Cloudy memories Uncompleted projects Disappointments loom large and threaten to define me I am only as good as what I produce And now I feel empty So how do I shine How do I find the spark that…

I'm Drinking This Cup Of Coffee (A.K.A.) I've Never Smoked A Joint

12221222 views33 comments33 favs

I thought about how chocolate or an hour massage, can almost trump sex. Then, I bought a chocolate bar and ate it all, without consulting the serving size. It was dark chocolate, 82%, worth it in the short term--- mmmm. I thought about getting stoned.

Destroy the Evidence

13491349 views55 comments44 favs

The oven door topples off of its hinges as she kicks and climbs out. She growls and quickly slaps out her still smoldering sweater shoulder. Taking a kitchen chair by the back, she swings it over her head and shatters the window. The chair breaks into splinters as she…

Cracks

611611 views77 comments44 favs

the cracks in the concrete look like rivers or highways crossing from the air but only a few feet below me

Zero

278278 views55 comments44 favs

0 is beautiful0 invented by Indians1 you can almost trust2 is poor3 the figure of human nature4 the face of all paradox5 is a handsome man6 a repetitive voice7 is a temptress9 an ugly and noisy digitSo too is 8100 is rich1000 the symbol of strength1 million resembles a…