Most recent stories

February Fifth

15631563 views44 comments22 favs

We've worked silence over / Like pros, our best work together.

Babes in the Bush

12701270 views44 comments00 favs

Holy shit, man, look at that!” Mike's pimply face melts into drooling bliss. His dad had stopped in this whacko town on the way to our campsite, muttered something about angry lesbians, and disappeared. Rick and I follow Mike's dumbstruck gaze to a shop…

Worry Is for the Well-Rested

10751075 views44 comments11 fav

I'm in the boardroom, downtown in San Francisco. I don't even remember showing up for work today. I hope they fire me, just like they fired Bill. Well not exactly like that, that was awful. He was caught downloading a phenomenal amount of…

FAMILY VALUES

14241424 views00 comments00 favs

that is a fair description of our family if I add the disclaimer that the girls are whores and we don’t have much in common.

Dream

896896 views11 comment00 favs

Lately, instead of the images of dreams waking me up, as has always been the case, it is sounds that jolt me awake. The thumps and roars and slithering of creatures unseen. The ghosts that slam cupboards shut. The apparitions of robbers breaking down the front door:…

Bison

14961496 views1717 comments77 favs

To make extra money, my father wrote music reviews for the Calgary Herald, and on Saturday nights, he went to hear the Symphony, or into recital halls to listen to the chamber music that was being performed around the city. He took me, once, to a performa

Rejected Titles for Beyoncé’s New Album...

953953 views66 comments00 favs

Technique, Technique, Technique, Technique, TECHNIQUE!

Airport Hotel

902902 views44 comments00 favs

We construct what we want, from what has failed in the past. We thought this worked. The picture was buzzing for me and I tried to hold on. I went blindly forward.

Power Ballad

16321632 views55 comments22 favs

Her eyes were brown. But he wasn’t sure. He looked again: her eyes were blue. Her eyes were blue, and looking straight at him.

Old clothes, bread, cream and butter.

12071207 views22 comments00 favs

‘Just get out of bed,’ I reply. ‘It looks like the fairies have been at your head. You should turn your clothes inside out. Put out a biscuit. Ring a bell. Buy a rooster; or a recording of it crowing. It will keep the sprites at bay.

Lazarus argentatus

858858 views33 comments00 favs

They take the blue man out on a stretcher, stiff in cyanotic repose until the paramedics shake him. He sits bolt upright, startled, confused, indignant. ‘Lazarus?' I ask. ‘Argyria. Happens every fucking time he naps on the …

The Beginning and End of Comedy

14771477 views66 comments11 fav

Puberty, for Ellen, was less than an overnight event—yes, she got her period in a more or less timely fashion, but what her doctor referred to coolly as secondary sexual characteristics—namely, boobs—took their damned sweet time in coming.

OUT ON THE EDGE OF VICTORIAN CIVILIZATION

10631063 views00 comments00 favs

Lottie was a slim, fine looking woman. But Dale thought her breast implants were the worst case of overkill he had ever seen.

Stretching to Understand

12001200 views99 comments33 favs

You looked like someone I didn't want to know. I guess that's why I got in the car that night. My penchant for self-destruction was aroused by your black nail polish and the lavender circles under your eyes. You looked like someone that could hurt me, yeah, that's why I got…

Jigsaw Magic

10151015 views44 comments00 favs

Bonnie envied all of those people who instantly forgot their horrible traumas: Jessica Lynch, the Central Park jogger. Their own brains rescued them. Bonnie's brain was not so generous.

Convenience

953953 views22 comments00 favs

I drove all night, but there weren’t nothing Roy Orbison about it. I’d been driving and around lunchtime I just thought I might stop by Shona’s place.

What if the Dungeon Closes

14021402 views1111 comments55 favs

This was around the time when all the restaurants started closing. We'd go out to dinner and find our first choice padlocked, windows white-washed, chairs balanced treacherously on tables. When we got to our second choice, our third choice, our fourth choice, it'd…

Inner Charlie

18141814 views44 comments44 favs

When Charlie woke up he couldn’t find his inner Charlie.

Homecoming King

12161216 views55 comments22 favs

John Lipkin took a drag off his cigarette and rummaged through his desk drawer looking for pot. There wasn't any. He remembered looking last night, but he looked again now. There wasn't a damn thing, just some stems…

Three Mississippi Fictions

24942494 views2222 comments1212 favs

When I was sixteen, my dad’s new wife and her daughter, Mary Ann, moved in, so I had to get out. I found a burned-out one story place on Corey Road near the gas plant. When it wasn’t raining, you could see right up through the roof to the stars.

GOD'S FACE

13171317 views33 comments00 favs

I was a Cub Scout, and the face of God was a joke that was told to my little pack. The joke went as thus:

CURTAINS

11501150 views22 comments11 fav

She also castrated her cat. All by herself...with her Swiss Army Knife. And not with the blade either.

WHO'S RICH?

10111011 views00 comments00 favs

she flips you a smile and a white plastic menu, and all the blood in your head, and upper body rushes to your crouch, and god-all- mighty, space aliens from the planet Vanna White could be landing in their unnumbered hoards in the parking lot, and all

Raise Really High The Roofbeam, Gassbag

11401140 views44 comments00 favs

When I heard that my brother was going to get married, I was more surprised than anything, but also awed by his courage. Our sister, named Baah Baah during a particularly bad recreational substance binge by our fun-loving, aristocratic parents, Nancy and

The Way You Live Now

29742974 views4646 comments2121 favs

You make a mental note of the rising number of people that know you. You vow to trim the list.

Two Brothers

10061006 views11 comment11 fav

They run nonstop for weeks. Between traffic stalled cars. Down forgotten subways tunnels drilled long ago in the cold earth. Past burning sugarcane fields.

Juicy | In the Umbra

989989 views11 comment11 fav

He licks his lips and mouths the air, salivating, unashamed of his propensity for the round, pink grapefruit, the almost egg-shaped oranges, the firm, juicy tangerines.

Generational Loss

16861686 views55 comments00 favs

I realize most automatonical authors stick to non-fiction, but if my work bears any resemblance to real automatons or events, I assure you it is purely coincidental.

The Case for Mashed Potatoes

14011401 views44 comments11 fav

Steam rolls out of the bathroom as Mr. Larson opens the door with a white towel around his waist. Pepper strolls up to him and purrs as she rubs her long, gray tail against his tanned legs."Hey, girl.” He runs his coarse, scarred fingers through the cat's soft coat.…

Goldfish

12801280 views77 comments22 favs

The guy stretches out his arm as he rounds up the herd of ducks that only want to bob. He pulls down his sleeve over a heart tattoo, faded from being seen so many times. It’s a skinny sort of heart tattoo, an askew heart from where I stand, an arrow fro