Most recent stories

Begonia {part three}

11291129 views22 comments00 favs

Now, the Kingdom of Begonia was known for its serenity and virtue. But just like any other place, there can sometimes be dark and mysterious inhabitants.

The Strange Edge: Have I Stumbled Upon a New Idear? (Blog)

15041504 views66 comments00 favs

Slipstream features strange events in a typical world whereas New Weird features typical events in a strange world.

What I Am

11351135 views33 comments11 fav

I am a happy cog

Harry, Giselle and Joyce

16891689 views22 comments11 fav

Harry Reed does not want to die in this room, in front of Giselle, who has been his wife for exactly six months, who has slept beside him for twelve months.

A Body Divided, 2

16591659 views33 comments00 favs

I came down with polio on September 15, 1953, a mild, smoky day drawing close to autumn outside of Chicago — which also happened to be the exact date of my parents' twenty-first wedding anniversary. Only six months later the Salk vaccine was already b

HUNGRY

13381338 views1515 comments55 favs

Quiet. You sit quiet as a mouse in the corner. Push a little doll around and hum la-la-la so they forget you’re there while they have the cocktail hour. That’s how you find out they’re killing Grandma.

Cinnamon Doughnuts and a Neenish Tart

11721172 views22 comments33 favs

Mr Robertson chuckled gently as he caught the aroma of freshly cooked cinnamon doughnuts and watched the oil leave its fingerprints.

Bobby Fischer in Budapest

25502550 views3232 comments1515 favs

Bobby Fischer hates anyone using his name. Movies, books, stories, news articles, games. Kasparov, Spassky, even Deep Blue—he cursed them for ever having thought of his name. Whoever's thinking my name right now—burn in hell!

'Introduction' to LETTING IT ALL HANG OUT

19251925 views00 comments00 favs

Was Sligo an unfeeling privacy-violator or an uncannily-feeling empath, privy to the deepest longings of those whose lives he came in contact with? [...] Sligo's grave is as silent as these pages ultimately would be if they were left unread.

Quarter-turn the Quaternion

969969 views44 comments00 favs

One could count fifty moons hanging in the sky, in rows and columns of smaller skies.

Old Wounds

13421342 views2121 comments77 favs

We got married in a hospital. My bride had her appendix out the day before our wedding, so we decided to tie the knot in her room at Hoover Memorial.

A Girl / An Elderly Woman / A Bear

13191319 views88 comments44 favs

A girl waiting at the door, heart in a Ziploc. An elderly woman stopping at the bank. A bear in a screaming contest with a troop of girl scouts.

Begonia {part two}

11221122 views22 comments00 favs

perhaps because they were holding hands and sharing tears; perhaps because the moon shone so brightly; perhaps for no reason at all; but both the Coriander and Isabella felt a surge of hope so strongly that both smiled a genuine smile.

How To Make It In America

13311331 views1010 comments11 fav

The punchable faces in Manhattan multiply like cancer...

Hundred Dollar Hit

14271427 views66 comments11 fav

"My god," Toni said, bending over and tapping her head gently against the counter in fake anguish. "His ass in those jeans. Jesus. I should be young and lucky like you." Toni tapped her cigarette ash into the coin tray.

Touch Me

10361036 views99 comments44 favs

The blood from my palm runs across the rocky surface of the shell. I push the knife into the crease again, searching for a weakness, the one space where the two sides will gasp and then separate. You tell me it doesn’t matter.

Degree Zero, My Love

14801480 views00 comments00 favs

So we waited for it to get dark. I smelled her there beside me against the tree, and fell asleep and dreamed of an unbombed stone church whose steeple was so high it pierced the clouds. It's time, came a voice from one of the back pews. “It's…

Notes on a Failed Town

13811381 views44 comments55 favs

Very few photos of the bear remain.

Watching Stanley Kowalski in the TV Room of Belle Haven

10771077 views77 comments22 favs

That streetcar named Desire, it don't hardly stop for me no more. Leastwise not while I'm awake, and I don't have to be telling no nosy aides why I make them noises in my sleep.

Coming Back To Earth As A Dog

23772377 views3535 comments1414 favs

Even after he shot me, I still loved him and even after I was dead I wanted to be with him. So I forgave him once more and made the crucial decision to come back to earth as a dog. …

Coconut Milk

886886 views00 comments00 favs

"The baby's head..it was so big. There were complications...I saw it all. They tried to get me out of the room but I saw it all. He split her apart like a coconut Norm! She was gone like that."

Comes After Cato

16231623 views77 comments44 favs

When they called him down there to the morgue to identify the body, he drove behind the wheel of his truck like some steady maniac on a long haul. The Ford 150 cried out for new shocks, but that hardly mattered. Mud plastered side panels and…

Two of a Kind

16941694 views44 comments22 favs

What was it about women that made them know these kinds of things about one another, about people, the way they came together, the future? Crater thought back to Dresden, the exchange student from Holland. She knew things like that.

henry

899899 views22 comments00 favs

her skin was delicate, fragile, that old woman skin that appears to be translucent.the rip caused by the knife opened it up like tissue paper. blood welled for a moment, then poured out with real purpose.this was the delight he found in old ladies.. the scent of their…

Grounded

991991 views66 comments33 favs

No temporary solace upon this patch of earth, stymied in your injury; labored by your girth.

My First Sonogram

11401140 views11 comment00 favs

As I was checking out with the receptionist, Dope came barging through the door and told the guy at the front desk that I needed to be booked for this sonogram “right away, like within the next 72 hours.” My hands started to shake and my lower body b

A List of Ways I Have Failed to Express My Love for You

11591159 views44 comments44 favs

The gaudy belt buckle I got you, which would have been well-received except that you hate gaudy belt buckles.The custom t-shirt I made for you using iron-on felt letters that generously enhanced the shape of your breasts in a way unfit for public display.The wedding…

The Messenger, Chapter 2

12961296 views00 comments00 favs

"Something happened to me, Rasul, and I got these powers for a reason ... then I just happened to have a karaoke buddy who happens to have grown up in a family of magicians, who knew something about what I was going through?  That's *fate*!"

On Tundergarth Farm

15211521 views44 comments11 fav

There’s an oak tree in Hanover, New Hampshire. Twenty years old, it is still a sapling. I imagine that one day the tree will have a commanding view of the Connecticut River and Norwich, Vermont, where my mom sat in bed, crying, watching everything unfol

My Old Guy Boyfriend

14461446 views1111 comments44 favs

His coarsely shaking voice, whispering embarrassingly crass old guy things in my ear, will make the blood rush to my young lady parts.